Turn Signal Issue

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm working out some neglected bugs on my coupe during my areas "indoor" season.

73 CSi / Signal Stalk on Right (P/N 1350152 8157)

Problem 1: in either the left or right turn position (natural default), the signals do not stay on past one flash. Manual extra pressure will keep the lights blinking.

Problem 2: Only one initial flash on the dash of the signal indicator (though the emergency flashers successfully alternate between dash and flasher button). I have to listen for the clicking sound of the relay to ensure that I am indicating after that one flash on the dash.

Also - the CSi signal stalk can be set to either left or right when parked and engine off to keep a parking minimal front beam and rear tail light on (common in Europe). This function works perfectly fine.

Anyone else have this issue? Any resolution? I have used contact cleaner on the switch and cleaned it out as best I could. I haven't fully dismantled the unit - frankly, out of fear that it will not go back together again.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Honolulu

Reaction score
1. verify that the little finger that pokes out of the turn signal unit isn't blocked by the canceling ring/tab. That would indicate the canceling ring/tab may not be correctly rotationally located on the steering column. The blue books (and others?) provide a clearance dimension between the finger and cancel tab.

2. sounds like you need to open up the flasher relay and look at its function without the cover. It can happen that the contact arm that raises and lowers through the action of the solenoid, gets stuck on or off. Some wet sandpaper (I like 220 grit) used dry on the contacts wouldn't hurt.

You can, if careful and lucky, dismantle the turn signal unit by ever so gently bending the tabs back, to look inside, but I wouldn't go there unless absolutely necessary. Examine the wiring diagram and suss out which terminals connect to which, in what position, then verify the switch unit with a VOM or continuity tester.

damienh

Reaction score
Are you sure the indicators are not functioning properly, that it isn't just the light on the dash that stops ?

I say this because I have an issue where all indicators work completely fine, yet the light on the dash stops after a couple of flashes. There is a detailed discussion on the forum somewhere about this particular problem.

Damien

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Some of the current paths had higher resistance than others. So I got the one flash indication for right signal and a proper blinking for left signal. I cleaned all the bulb contacts but it didn't solve my problems. I ended up changing to a solid state relay that has very very low activation current. Not all SS relays meet this spec. This solved all my blinker/turn/hazard flasher issues.

Pm me if you want details of which relay I used. The same info is avail by searching this forum, to find a link to a 2002faq forum article that goes into details of the solution.

jmackro

Reaction score
I ended up changing to a solid state relay that has very very low activation current. .....The same info is avail by searching this forum, to find a link to a 2002faq forum article that goes into details of the solution.

Here is one such thread. The final post, #12, contains my discussion of the model of electronic flasher that worked for me: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=82003&highlight=flasher#post82003

TG-2002-320i-328ci said:
in either the left or right turn position (natural default), the signals do not stay on past one flash. Manual extra pressure will keep the lights blinking.

That symptom is a new one - manual extra pressure keeping the lights blinking. Perhaps the switch itself has enough resistance to prevent the mechanical flasher from blinking more than once, but pressing the lever overcomes that resistance. Again, substituting an electronic flasher should fix this (if resistance in the switch is indeed the cause).

Last edited: