Undercoating

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nicad,

I do not think that POR 15 is the best product to use on clean metal. I recall something to that effect from their instructions (It has been a few years since I have used it). My understanding is that it is best suited for rougher metal surfaces that have been pitted by rust (and then cleaned with marine clean & phosphate treatment) and not smooth metal surfaces. However, their system may have a suitable primer for use on smooth metal.

Alternatively, there must be some 2/3 part epoxy systems that could work better. Automotive paint supply shops may have some recommendations.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Nicad,

I do not think that POR 15 is the best product to use on clean metal. I recall something to that effect from their instructions (It has been a few years since I have used it). My understanding is that it is best suited for rougher metal surfaces that have been pitted by rust (and then cleaned with marine clean & phosphate treatment) and not smooth metal surfaces. However, their system may have a suitable primer for use on smooth metal.

Alternatively, there must be some 2/3 part epoxy systems that could work better. Automotive paint supply shops may have some recommendations.
I agree. POR15 will often peal right off clean metal when dry!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used POR 15 on my Corvair floor ten years ago. Most of the floor was clean metal. It has held up quite well. I made sure to use Acid Metal Prep on it. Will consider all options though. I think I will leave the underside in paint and maybe put some undercoat in the wheel wells to keep things quieter. Still a long way from needing to make a decision as undercoat is sticking to 95% of my floor for the moment. Thanks for the POR 15 on clean metal warning.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nicad,

On bare metal, I would always use a self etching, activated (2-part) primer. It provides maximum adhesion and is very tough (chip resistant).

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
On bare metal, I would always use a self etching, activated (2-part) primer. It provides maximum adhesion and is very tough (chip resistant).

WHat would you put on top of that?