Very nice CHamonix on BAT

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please don't apologize. I hope that didn't come across as critical. It was intended to be a positive statement. I love the art of woodworking and furniture design!
Ahh, so Pomele can be present in many kinds of wood. Good to know!
I’ve done a fair bit of veneering in the past and still have a small flitch of left over pomele mahogany in a sheave with some Sapele and other exotics. I find the figure of this veneer greatly at odds with the aesthetic of the rest of the interior. It’s possible for two beautiful objects to be mismatched as a pair, and for my tastes that applies here. The driving video was apparently carefully crafted to show this E9 is docile and won’t over heat when driven slowly in heavy traffic. I would have found a more open and interesting road where I could get it up over 2000rpm...

But otherwise the car seems spectacular.

Trunk carpet. It is my impression that the little cutout at the left is not for the 74 and later bumper bracing as I have this cutout and it is not needed to clear the extra sheet metal reinforcement.

I speculate originally there was a short section of wood (covered with grew vinyl) on the top of the spare tire board which prevented small objects from rolling over and down into the rear inner fender well (as good as lost). These short blocks of wood get knocked off or lost over time.

The pics show the brace and carpet cutout as well as the lonely screw holes that once secured the short bit of wood. This is 1point concours deduction, right?
91A54D16-784D-4D52-87D6-89EED9577200.jpeg

1DC4B39A-2854-4A26-B943-709821311031.jpeg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry, that's what i do for a living. just sharing. some people write computer programs, some are engineers, some doctors, some retired ... but i design luxury hotels (architecture + interiors) ... and design furniture.

BTW - pomele isn't a wood, its a figure pattern.
Scott--I have a guitar collection with several wood type cuts-burl,quilt,crotch,flat & quarter sawn,curl,etc. Pomele is not one I've heard of before. What wood is in this car? The wood in my coupe was replaced with a curly Hawaiian Koa veneer.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry, that's what i do for a living. just sharing. some people write computer programs, some are engineers, some doctors, some retired ... but i design luxury hotels (architecture + interiors) ... and design furniture.

BTW - pomele isn't a wood, its a figure pattern.

Wow! I'm kinda jealous! That must be a rewarding and satisfying career. I'm sure it has it's challenges and ups and downs but still it does sound like a job that you could look forward to every morning.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott--I have a guitar collection with several wood type cuts-burl,quilt,crotch,flat & quarter sawn,curl,etc. Pomele is not one I've heard of before. What wood is in this car? The wood in my coupe was replaced with a curly Hawaiian Koa veneer.
Pomele figure is the same as a quilt figure. which wood, good question, hard to tell from a picture. my guess is that its Sapele, which is from the mahogany family. could be Macore ... the elevator cab above is Macore, but it was a very unusual log. the following pic is a sapeli half-round pomele

half-round-pommele_quilt.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow! I'm kinda jealous! That must be a rewarding and satisfying career. I'm sure it has it's challenges and ups and downs but still it does sound like a job that you could look forward to every morning.
absolutely ... always different. too much travel, a tremendous amount of work - if you care about the details. you learn a lot about cool materials - stone + wood, metal finishes, etc. right now is one of the very different times, nothing to work on.

tmh

Reaction score
I thought the charmonix cs looked really nice, particularly for a 25 year old restoration. There wasn't much discussion on this forum about the car. I would be interested in what others thought of the car.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have a whole bedroom dedicated to Bird's Eye Maple. I toyed with it as I think it would go so well in a coupe. Subtle elegance.

Are those radio knobs proper?

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks nice. There are some trouble spot areas that are obviously missing which could be nothing or not. I'm with Rob on that wood. It's beautiful but not in the understated elegance of a coupe (IMHO).

General question: How come you never see coupes with Brembo's or Wilwood brakes? Doesn't seem like anyone ever touches them when they go to great lengths to swap springs and shocks. Any particular reason?