VERY nice E3 on BaT

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do all E3s have a trifecta of roundels on the back? I don't think I've ever noticed that before. The two in stereo remind me of an M1 (not really).
15975970306e7dff9f98764daDSC03933-scaled.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This might be one of the nicest original E3s in the world. I hope it goes for a goodly sum. These are milestone BMW sedans and should get more love than they do (of course I'm prejudice ;)).

It's a little strange to me to see that the side marker lights/reflectors have been added, probably to be able to import the car to the US...but it retains the KM/hr speedometer/odometer. I wonder what else had to be changed to import it to California in the early 70s?

I like the additional trim on the bottom edge of the deck lid and the way the rear quarter trim wraps around to meet it. The wheel well trim is also attractive. Not overly obvious as is done on some other cars.

I'm not a fan of the blue velour interior, however.

1971_bmw_3-0s_16006418913427fac62fDSC05528-copy.jpg

If it was black leather or vinyl, or even dark blue vinyl like the door panels I would like it better. The velour seems to have almost a purple cast to it.

I tend to agree with Chris about the paint. You would think there would be some door dings, chips on the leading edge of the hood, thin spots, etc. even on a very well cared for 50 year old car. The owner swears it is original, however, and is taking it to a high end body shop for their evaluation. I'd say that if it takes a high end body shop to determine if the car has been repainted, then the repaint would be fine with me. :cool:

It is special to see any 50 year old car in this original condition. Good luck to the seller.

jmackro

Reaction score
I like the additional trim on the bottom edge of the deck lid and the way the rear quarter trim wraps around to meet it.

Does this e3 have that trim because it is a European-delivery vehicle, or is it a custom touch? Either way, I agree that the factory should have delivered all e3's with this feature.

I'm not a fan of the blue velour interior, however. If it was black leather or vinyl, or even dark blue vinyl like the door panels I would like it better. The velour seems to have almost a purple cast to it.

I too prefer the appearance of vinyl over fabric and agree that the color of this fabric seems a bit odd. But, isn't fabric, though perhaps not this color, correct for a European e3? European e9's generally had fabric seats, right?

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing the chrome trim around the door handles before. Is this a common feature on e3's or e9's?

159759826908495d565eDSC03909-1-scaled[1].jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing the chrome trim around the door handles before. Is this a common feature on e3's or e9's?

Never on e9’s but found on e3’s. Was hoping to post a brochure pic but haven’t found one after looking quickly. They were also found on e12-based e24’s. They fit on e9’s since the e3, e9, and early e24 all have the same armrests.

3.3li examples with trim.

tmh

Reaction score
What are guesses as what the high bid will be? A Bavaria sold on BAT a few months ago for $12k, which was a higher price than I expected, and that one was a mere shadow of this one. This will catch the eye of multiple bidders for a very unique car. $30k will be a lot for one of these but I won't be surprised as I'm sure there will be at least 3 strong bidders. Leather in a 3.0S is a really nice interior, so much nicer than the vinyl, which is so much nicer than cloth, in my humble opinion.

031.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The top bid E3 (no sale) on BaT was at $19,150 for one with an LS1 and a 6 speed. #2 was a 1970 Euro 2800 again a no sale at $16,500. I don't think either of these cars is even close to the current offering.

Average high bid on a BaT E3 was $6-8k for 18 cars.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The top bid E3 (no sale) on BaT was at $19,150 for one with an LS1 and a 6 speed. #2 was a 1970 Euro 2800 again a no sale at $16,500. I don't think either of these cars is even close to the current offering.

Average high bid on a BaT E3 was $6-8k for 18 cars.

I hope that $13,000 wins the auction, because that’s what I just bid. ;) My gut tells me this car will ultimately bring about $25,000. I don’t love it that much, but it’s certainly a fantastic example.
Cheers all!
Dan