VERY nice E3 on BaT

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good luck, Dan! :)

Thanks Dick!

BTW, on the subject of original paint or not.... I have been talking to the seller and it appears the front wings and hood (at least) have been repainted, although apparently expertly so. Measured material thickness, even on the repainted panels, is still <4 mil.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would not be worrying about original paint so much with that one. I mean, I'm interested in the discussion and it's worth knowing but does it really affect E3 values? It was obviously done well and the stickers all look present and accounted for.

And I rather like the cloth seats but I'm biased. You don't see it very often and it's not like it's a cheap re upholstery job or a KMart cover.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think having a few panels with a quality repaint doesn't hurt the value of an E3. It MAY hurt the value of a more expensive/desirable collector car, but then we are talking "investment" and not "enjoyment". For me, a partial repaint (even a quality complete) is an advantage for (my) ownership. I've owned a 13,000 mile all original early 1960s car. The only enjoyment I had was bragging rights. I felt guilty every time I used it to go get a cup of coffee. I sold it. With a partial or complete quality repaint on an otherwise fairly original car...no guilt to drive it. :)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think having a few panels with a quality repaint doesn't hurt the value of an E3. It MAY hurt the value of a more expensive/desirable collector car, but then we are talking "investment" and not "enjoyment". For me, a partial repaint (even a quality complete) is an advantage for (my) ownership. I've owned a 13,000 mile all original early 1960s car. The only enjoyment I had was bragging rights. I felt guilty every time I used it to go get a cup of coffee. I sold it. With a partial or complete quality repaint on an otherwise fairly original car...no guilt to drive it. :)
Damn straight! :cool:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, i hope you win it ... but i think its going to take at least 25 ... maybe 28k to 30k. this is a very nice car. anybody remember what that very nice fjord e3 sold for 6 to 8 months ago? (maybe it was longer)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing the chrome trim around the door handles before. Is this a common feature on e3's or e9's?

View attachment 102624

No chrome trim on my July 71 production Bavaria...
IMG_5035.jpeg

At least the early Bavarias were essentially the stripped down 2500s with the bigger motor.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Dick!

BTW, on the subject of original paint or not.... I have been talking to the seller and it appears the front wings and hood (at least) have been repainted, although apparently expertly so. Measured material thickness, even on the repainted panels, is still <4 mil.

Hope you win, because I want to see the renovation thread after you go in to change a fuse! Kidding, but I do like to watch how the pros bid.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dark grey or charcoal velour are my first love. Had to toss seats of a 73 CSi parts car I bought. Charcoal and mice. Ugh.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, i hope you win it ... but i think its going to take at least 25 ... maybe 28k to 30k. this is a very nice car. anybody remember what that very nice fjord e3 sold for 6 to 8 months ago? (maybe it was longer)
Thanks Scott! The seller just added a couple of videos to the listing, one of which shows an unbelievably well preserved underside. I suspect the car may break the sales $$$ record for an E3.
Cheers!
Dan

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As stated earlier, the Si had chrome door trim and trunk trim
and wheel arch trim. As well as wood accents on the door cards and center console ashtray surround.
I also think it will take somewhere well north of $20k.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$38,250 ($40,162.50 with premium). Has to be a record, I imagine. I went to 30k but clearly the car was worth more.

Great result for E3 owners! :)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry, Dan. :( . I was rooting for you.

An E3 in this original condition in North America is SO rare. It will probably be a long time before something similar surfaces here. Obviously a few bidders wanted the best of the best and didn't want to take the chance that another will come along for them.

It is going to Bolivia where our forum member @alprada70 resides.

I do wonder what E3s are selling for in Europe...especially Germany. Does anyone have this information? There seem to be lots more love for these cars there...

jmackro

Reaction score
$38,250 ($40,162.50 with premium). Has to be a record,

Agree. That was quite an outcome. BaT has brought some tremendous results for mid-tier cars. High-end cars, like Enzo-era Ferraris, have their own distribution channels and always brought high prices. But before BaT came along, selling something more modest, like an e3, meant struggling for $10K on ebay or Craigslist. BaT has really been a game-changer.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, Dan. :( . I was rooting for you.

An E3 in this original condition in North America is SO rare. It will probably be a long time before something similar surfaces here. Obviously a few bidders wanted the best of the best and didn't want to take the chance that another will come along for them.

It is going to Bolivia where our forum member @alprada70 resides.

I do wonder what E3s are selling for in Europe...especially Germany. Does anyone have this information? There seem to be lots more love for these cars there...

Chris and I share a 64,000 mile 1970 2800 in this condition minus the paint. Original leather interior, crack free dash. We bought it from the original owner. Other than the paint the car is a time capsule.