Vintage Maserati knowledge/advice?

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking at vintage Maseratis such as Sebring, Ghibli, Mexico and Bora. I’d like to discuss, if you’re into those cars please private message me. Thank you! Eric

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Go look that the website. thecarnut.com

His name is Ivan, pronounced EEE-von.

He may be able to find you a good one, or fly to do a PPI for you or whatever.

He is in Georgia

I don't know him personally, but he has a good reputation.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what we do with the later ones...

Attachments

• 20220506_131041.jpg
    20220506_131041.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 114

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to have one just to be able to respond to the question - "what do you drive"?
Instructions for a response. First adopt an air of insouciance, nose up, head turned to the side, eyes down as though thinking of something else, hand raised palm up as though holding a small tray and with your arm resting on your side, elbow to hip. Then in an affirmative tone, as though the utterance has a self referencing importance, let forth the pronouncement with a slight Italianesque accent. "A Mazzzerrrrraaatee". Important - Don't overdo the accent to the extent of parody and be careful not to look for a reaction as this will undo all of the above. Some may think of you as pretentious but what do they know, those plebeos.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unlike when I tell people I drive a '69 BMW 2800cs, which brings a blank look on their face, so I add, "It's a two door coupe from the late '60's to the mid '70's, which brings a, "Oh", obviously not having a clue what I'm talking about, so I add "It was the predecessor to the 6-series". Oooooooh, yeah, I think I've seen one of those before. It's easier just to say I have a 2002.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sebrings and the 3500 GTi are old-school sports cars, the Ghibli is a fine GT in the DB5-6 mold, but Mexicos are portly in comparison and feel it behind the wheel.

Cheap seats still available for the Indy, a poor man's Ghibli. I've never driven a Bora, but Meraks feel Dino-ish. Fun until the service issues start.

There are some serious Italian marque experts in Cali that will become your new best friends. ;)

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just learned that I live 15 miles from one of the go-to vintage Maserati guys Gary Bobileff. That’s 6 miles closer than La Jolla Independent. Good resources for cool old cars around here.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want a Mexico be sure to get a later one like that with a 4.7 and the heavy trans. Avoid the automatics. The 4.2 is a cool, almost identical, engine but sometimes with it you got the little trans from the 3500 and BOOM. And no parts.

A detail of interest is that Mexicos and BMW 66-67 1600s share door latch assemblies and since the huge door on the Mexico weighs about as much as the whole 1600, the Mexico door WILL swing open when the chassis flexes on a hard corner. Unless, of course the door bottoms are rusted out because the drain holes are drilled well above the seam. Then, not so much.

No, you do not need to know how I know this.

Attachments

• IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 92

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take a look at the photo of the wreck, then take a look at the photo of the other "wreck" (Gazz) just below, is it just me, or are they twins?
Somewhat unkind, I may be decrepit but I'm not a wreck.

Re Maseratis - love the 450S. And watch Martin Brundle drive the 250F.

Klassic

Reaction score
Yes, it was an unkind comment, I apologise, one should never pick on the decrepit. :)
My father used to drop me off to school in a 350GT (said with eye lids half drawn, slight snare and dissenting tone). The most impressive thing about it was it's ability to swap ends at the slightest hint of rain. Eventually its hydrophobia took charge, wrapping it's self around a lamp post for comfort, sadly. Typically Italian being beautiful, fast, unreliable and expensive. Who wouldn't want one?

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Go look that the website. thecarnut.com

His name is Ivan, pronounced EEE-von.

He may be able to find you a good one, or fly to do a PPI for you or whatever.

He is in Georgia

I don't know him personally, but he has a good reputation.
He had a very nice Ghibli advertised for $289K, now on BaT. We’ll see if he gets more.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
There’s a company in Seattle area called M.I.E, Maserati Information Exchange, that was headed by Frank Mandorolino (?) back in the day. I worked a summer job there in high school in the 80’s and his operation was a global affair.
Franks warehouse included Boras, Ghiiblis and Meraks,,, Oh My!!!
I do believe the company is still is business, was in Bellevue, WA last I saw it a few years back.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There’s a company in Seattle area called M.I.E, Maserati Information Exchange, that was headed by Frank Mandorolino (?) back in the day. I worked a summer job there in high school in the 80’s and his operation was a global affair.
I do believe the company is still is business, was in Bellevue, WA last I saw it a few years back.
In 1988 my buddy and I got a precious week off work and we set off from So Cal in my Alfa GTV6 to look at a rough project Maserati 3500 GT at Frank Mandarano’s place near Seattle. The GTV6 seized up its alternator and we spent the week in Weed CA getting it fixed, never made it to MIE. That’s where this quest originated. It’s an itch that I can now scratch.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think Frank owned the Concorso Italiano event in Monterey where the CCA held our clean car contests. When Black Horse CC remodeled he had to find a new venue, which turned out to be the Marina Airport which he said would be the home for the next several years. When the Ferrari and Lamborghini owners attended they vowed to never go again as it was on asphalt! He then lost the event which has been resurrected and is a well attended event.