VINTAGE MECANIC S07E15 BMW E9 2800 CS

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

French language but E9 does not need too much words.

It is another E9 restoration (after "Zed Sly") where "professional" body shop is not taking off the front fenders. How it is possible to make good body restoration without it? Or it was just not shown on the movie?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
It sure didn't look like they took off the front fenders. They must not know very much about the E9. My french isn't good enough to catch much more than a few words here and there.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Indeed
The car was in storage at the dealer "BMW Mirabeau" in Paris, for 20 years and engine rebuilt was started. As seen in the video, lots of work with sills and lower parts of fenders
Body completely treated and 250 hours bodywork . (By chance interior in pretty good original condition.)
The dealer wanted to have a little museum of BMW 70ies classics, as they already existed in 1970 and were involved on BMW sport events.
Total cost estimated around 53 000 euros, but I think it went over at the end of the program .

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi,

French language but E9 does not need too much words.

It is another E9 restoration (after "Zed Sly") where "professional" body shop is not taking off the front fenders. How it is possible to make good body restoration without it? Or it was just not shown on the movie?
No, fenders were not removed

The complete shell was stripped with natural abrasive (Nut shell) .
In french "aérogommage".

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is very expensive to fix the fenders (and all the sheet metals welded one over another) but on the other side this will make the whole restoration incomplete and the car body will be weak.

Might be ok if the car needs to have a look but it is even dangerous to

Anyhow I liked the way film/series was done. Especially the relation between the Customer and the Manager of the restoration shop. It was funny. :)

All-in-all it looked like BMW as a company has probably supported the restoration which is also fine. :)

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Yes, and the girl in the shop, inspecting the car, is Mrs Neubauer , managing the dealership and heir of a big family of sportscar importer in France.
They also own a BMW 2002 Turbo, you can see in the showroom.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I see. Interesting. I assume you've been there in person. There are some interesting cars around (including 2002 Turbo of course).

Mrs Neubauer's French sounds she's not French, is she? Asking as it sound differently. I'm not a French speaker but just notice different melody. ;-)

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Well, the program is more or less played, as the will of Francois Alain, the narrator, is to tell us a "story" about a model ...
That 's maybe why she has a little accent .. but as far as I know, she's french and I did not notice any .

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't look at every single minute of the video.

Did the front fenders NEED to come off? If they took a boroscope to it, and all is well underneath, no need?

However, I plan on just cutting off the patch panel and both sides (lower part) and seeing if all is well. Then putting a W&N patch panel back on as I see no need to take off the whole fender and preserve the factory welds on the top part (thank goodness they look good there).

s-l1600.jpg