W+N has solved the chrome + black hood / fender grilles

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they won't be available for purchase until end of january / beginning of february ... so soon, just not yet

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are delayed till March. I have been monitoring the situation closely:mad: They will send an update in the next news letter.

lloyd

Reaction score
Others will surely provide a more historically accurate response. But I believe it depended on the paint color. A Polaris Silver car would have had black grills, I think - for contrast. And a black car would have had chrome, for the same reason. If this is not the "official" reason, then I guess it is simply my opinion. :D

Guessing aside, I can think of several exceptions to your general proposition regarding earlier models, including personal experience with a '71 and '73 Chamonix version (chrome). Evidently, the later models, post '73 went black and over the years this has allowed for some "free" artistic expression when both finishes were available and some "limited" expression when not so available. ;) See links below.

From an early sales brochure. (Note lack of head restraints):
page05.jpg

PICT4403.JPG

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/front-fender-side-grille-color.6349/

The old debate concerning color of grilles !!!
Normally, 1st series till 10/73 had chromed hood+fender grilles + front alu grilles and then 2nd series from 10/73 black grilles all around .
But as modifications between the 2 series came progressively, there has been mixes . I mean 1st series with black grilles and front black grilles. It is something you can find out with part catalogues. Then, beginning of 1974, all black grilles were installed.
https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/is-the-grille-hood-black-or-chrome-if-the-color-of-the-car.989/

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guessing aside, I can think of several exceptions to your general proposition regarding earlier models
I'm glad you added this info. In fact, shortly after I'd posted, I saw what I believed to be proof that my theory was incorrect.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As soon as I got my coupe back together I was going to go talk to a friend who has a C&C machine and see what it would take to make all the grills out of solid aluminum.
Oh goody I don't have to deal with that project.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
As soon as I got my coupe back together I was going to go talk to a friend who has a C&C machine and see what it would take to make all the grills out of solid aluminum.
Oh goody I don't have to deal with that project.

If you go this way i'd be up for a set. Doing it aluminum would offer the possibility to have them anodized, matching it to belt trim. There was a member who made a set for his own coupe, I looked for it for half an hour but could not dig up the pics from the forum.

Not a fan of plastic, I see too much of it already around me.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you go this way i'd be up for a set. Doing it aluminum would offer the possibility to have them anodized, matching it to belt trim. There was a member who made a set for his own coupe, I looked for it for half an hour but could not dig up the pics from the forum.

Not a fan of plastic, I see too much of it already around me.

I doubt this will happen now and probably would have been too expensive for the masses. Yes, I know that photo of the forum member making his own grills. I can't find the link. May have been removed.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i already have a set of new chrome fender grilles and 2 new sets of hood grilles. i am not in need.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think anyone who has a set that are in decent shape should list them on the forum for 1/2 the price of the new ones and than purchase the new ones that will end up at 1/2 price. I think that's a "no brainer".