W+N has solved the chrome + black hood / fender grilles

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its only a no-brainer if the old ones come off without breaking the studs of the fender grilles (rare) ... and they are still in decent shape. mine are shot. i am thinking of pulling the flaking chrome off and check to see if they really are metal bases ... and if so, rechrome them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
its only a no-brainer if the old ones come off without breaking the studs of the fender grilles (rare) ... and they are still in decent shape. mine are shot. i am thinking of pulling the flaking chrome off and check to see if they really are metal bases ... and if so, rechrome them.

I would love to see concrete evidence of a metal side vent. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but nobody has publicly produced an image of one along with the weight.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be equally interested in seeing a metal version. What I've learned from tinkering with the two original(ish) sets I have is that mine are plastic - one black and the other chrome. The chrome plating is quite thick, but starting to chip off in areas. And the plastic beneath the chrome is an interesting plastic - it seems quite heavy and robust feeling. The plastic underneath the chrome is a cream/off white color. At least on the ones I have...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i weighed the hood grilles and they were substantially heavier - almost double. i didn't weigh the fender grilles. mine were all shiny chrome that came with my feb 71 2800cs ... they were not the two-tone chrome.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Same as the decorative chromed piece along the outside bottom of the front seats.