Ways to support market values of our Coupes

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think we (coupe owners) should form a cartel and set the prices! Our coupes are way undervalued IMHO given the consensus that "it is one of the prettiest BMWs ever made." And, there can't be more than a thousand coupes left in the States either. Let's set ownership in the club at $20K for a basket case; $60K for a nice driver; $80K for numbers matching, pristine original; $100K for a basketcase CSL and $200K and up for decent examples....just saying.

d-ace

Reaction score
I am with you on that one Walter. It’s a good start and I would add this>>
Junkyard parts car $8K - $10K

And suggest setting up a rating on models and years too made from 1971-1975.
.................... Total made
Euro 2800CS..... 276
USA 2800CS..... 183
Euro 2800CSA..... 73
USA 2800CSA..... 87

Euro 3.0CS..... 4555
USA 3.0CS..... 1368
Euro 3.0 CSA..... 3667
USA 3.0 CSA..... 1189

Euro 3.0CSI..... 7935
Euro 3.0CSIA..... 2
Euro 3.0 CSI RHD..... 207
Euro 3.0 CSIA RHD..... 215

Euro 3.0CSL..... 765
Euro 3.0 CSL RHD..... 500

For those low of numbers made it seems like the value should be there? And as Walter said there is not many around after 40-years obviously due too the way BMW did not address the rust issue.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US 2800 numbers too low, should be 641 and 526 for all years. Euro is greater as well, still not very many though.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we (coupe owners) should form a cartel and set the prices! ...

Yes! Let's do some price fixing like the pharmaceuticals do. We may have to buy a politician or two like they did to get Canadian drugs outlawed here.

Do we have any lawyers, lobbyists here to get us started?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the place to start is by changing the prices in the faq section of this forum - from 2007. that would do everybody a favor - except new buyers. and maybe add a new high end section

"8. Price range for Coupes? (7/10/2007)

Prices for E9 coupes vary from less than $1k to more than $100k, so it can be a challenge figuring out if a coupe is priced correctly. The deciding factor is usually how solid the chassis is in regards to rust. Here's a quick reference for what to expect in the different price ranges:​
$3k and below: Usually a rust bucket and considered a parts car. There are some out there that are worth keeping in this range, but they're getting really hard to find.

$3k to $6k:
This price range typically has cars that may look good from a distance but show lots of problems when you start checking them out closely. Coupes are very good cars mechanically, so you'll also find cars in this range that run great but have some major rust issues.​
$6k to $10k: Daily driver range. These cars are typically good looking cars and get lots of positive attention while on the road, although they still need to be inspected very carefully for rust problems. There are a good number of cars out there on the market owned by people that don't know much about them but had the money to buy one. You may find rust issues that they didn't know about or chose to ignore thinking it wasn't a big deal.​
$10k to 15k: Cars in this range should be very clean overall and have few issues. Inspection might find a small crack in the dash, a split seams or two in the seats and a few imperfections in the paint, but for the most part the car should be well sorted out. There should be very little or no signs of rust problems on the car. You might also expect to see signs of rust repair in the past. If so, try to gauge how well the work was done. If the car has been repainted in the past (most have), ask how long ago the job was done. If the paint was done over three or four years prior to inspection, bad repairs would start showing problems. A fairly new paint job might not show poor rust repair work until a couple years after you buy the car.​
$15k and above: Little or no problems to speak of. Some may have modifications done to the drivetrain, which if done correctly and tastefully, does not adversely affect the value of the car. In some cases it can increase value if its a popular upgrade. Keep in mind, BMW's in general are popular cars for enthusiasts to modify and the E9 coupe is no exception.​
CSL's: Used to be considered a fancy CS, but now they sit in a league of their own. Within the last few years, some nicely restored CSL's have sold at auction for over $100k. Otherthan low production numbers and a racing history, they're not really that much different than a typical CS or CSi."​

d-ace

Reaction score
Paint jobs $7,000 to $10,000. Seats redone $1,200 to $3,000+, rugs $500, headliner $350 to $500. Ground up restoration all rust in seams and closed compartments address $40K to $60K. I would say the times are changing or without preservation due to continuing low prices this coupes will be beyond saving soon. Its been 40-years now just take a small Borescope and look into the rocker compartments and you will see the real story under that shiny paint, it will SCARE YOU!

Also about the 2800 numbers, I started at 1971. Because it was the first year for the Euro 3.0CS, USA 3.0CS, Euro 3.0 CSA, USA 3.0 CSA, Euro 3.0CSI, Euro 3.0CSIA, Euro 3.0 CSI RHD, Euro 3.0 CSIA RHD, Euro 3.0CSL, Euro 3.0 CSL RHD.

Last edited:

execmalibu

Reaction score
Finding a nice driver CSI for $25,000 should be doable. E9s typically do NOT sell!

Since I own 3 E9s I hate to admit, I mean I REALLY hate to admit that the E9s are typically dead in the water on the classic and collector car market!

Examples:

1.The Black 1973 3.0CS 4 speed/Sunroof car had nearly 5,000 hits on ebay. The car was also discussed heavily on this site so it was a very well exposed E9 to the world and it sold for only $15,600?. Granted it was far from perfect but only $15,600 for what most of us consider the best year for a US model E9.
That car looked absolutely GREAT was the right year with all the bells and whistles plus it was a great color combo but there were NO serious buyers... Damn Shame!

2. 1975 3.0CSi (Fjord Blue) on ebay in SF was nicely restored to driver quality (fresh paint/interior,mechanical) sold for only $22,300 a couple of months ago.. I missed the car by $200

Hell they are selling VW bugs for more I mean a lot more! My friend sold a 1958 VW bug for $22,000 and it was just a very nice driver.

Please dont shoot the messenger but our E9s get very little respect from most collector car guys... I know the CSL Bat sold for big money at $146K but that is nothing compared to the 1973 Porsche RS that sold for $286K the same night... Remember there were 1,200 RS built compared to only 39 Bats! Again E9s cant get no respect...

Plus I was there and all the great cars in Monterey were selling for ridicilous prices! McQueens 1970 911S sold for absolutely INSANE money ($1.375 Million Dollars plus commission=$1.5 Million Dollars)that makes no sense!

Bottom line is I think with patience, time and networking a nice driver CSi can be easily had for $25,000.

Last edited:

Shawn

Reaction score
I think you forgot to mention the coupe that did not sell (reserve not met) at about 25 bids to $41,000 about 2 months ago on ebay, seller in San Diego. Had a 3.5 upgrade and looked proper. There was interest in that vehicle at rates higher than the general e9 board estimates. There have also been numerous private sales that have gone higher than the vehicles seen on the "common" markets. The fact remains that prices are rising on our coupes and fast, finally. Good luck finding a nice car for under $30K and even $40K due to the scarcity of inventory and the differences between each vehicle in regards to quality and drivability. We can all point to bad cars with low prices to set pricing but nice examples are hard to come by and prices vary wildly. After watching the market for my 22 years of ownership I can firmly attest that prices are on the rise with equal interest, rightfully so.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
rsporsche: you are absolutely right, we have got to update that page! Any volunteers? I'll help, but I really don't know where/how would to start?

My point in saying we should form a cartel is that I think in some respects we are our own worst enemy when it comes to coupe values; kind of like an oil rich country that would sell oil for less than what the market would pay. We talk about coupes like they are sooo much more expensive to restore than other cars of the same vintage. I would guess that they are not, and at the end of the day you have a better/rarer/more drivable car than most of the CS's peers. Seriously, I think it is time to separate ourselves from the 2002 crowd (no offense). You want a coupe, you're going to have to roll with the big boys. Yeah a restoration costs a lot. If you want something cheap to restore get a Beetle. I'm off the soapbox.

d-ace

Reaction score
I agree with “execmalibu” about the slump with the classic and collector car market on these coupes, I have talked to many all over the USA. They mostly tell me there are only a few Euro models that sell well and not just the CSL. Although all must be ground up restoration due too the well-know the corrosion problem is on these coupes…..

Although when did the prices start dropping and why? In 2006 I watch two 3.0CS coupes auctioned at Barrett Jackson within one month both between $38K - $44K. Then there was the Bat that sold at Christy’s for $153K that year. Now about 4-5 months ago Fortune 500 magazine list one of the top five best investments right now is classic cars.
And again now a CSL sold at $159K in Monterey about a week ago.

I am still perplexed on how these coupes lost value and maybe this will help as a start to rebuild the statics?

In the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s in this Santa Barbara area they were one of the most desired cars of the elite movie stars and rockers there was. I use to drive Michaels Douglas 3.0CS he drove all the time I had it rebuilt for him. At the same time he had a Limited Edition Euro 600 HP twin turbo 949 Porsche. Two Ferrari’s, a 1956 white Jag and a few Range Rover’s, but he drove the BMW coupe the most.
There were some of the best BMW shops around here too in those days with numerous of these coupes there. I seen Lee J. Cobb’s coupe at a shop owner’s place I knew. Kenny Loggins coupe that lives here, even Jerry Garcia driving in Montecito. And remember Sean Connery getting busted driving to fast over the pass going north.

This list of elite owners could just go on and on, what happened to the coupes value.
As Walter said time to get "one of the prettiest BMWs ever made" beyond the price of a 2002 or the BMW Isetta.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps the reason the prices are low is that there are so many parts cars still hobbling around. Many just think theirs are one paint job away from being at Barret Jackson.
Three cars I perhaps should have bought. The rust free Blank Exec Malibu had up for sale at $7K and the Fjord one sold by the guy returning to Thailand at $12,500. He sent a lot of photos and the car was very nice on a hoist. The third would be the Fjord Automatic Dan had up for $18K, which I believe Exec bought. Good luck with the Cartel when people are losing their homes. Only the best cars will likely go up in value this year.

d-ace

Reaction score
I have had many friends lose their homes too although they set themselves up right from the beginning by paying 5-10+ times more than the place was worth and the bank set them up loaning that kind of money in the first place. In my area houses that cost $14,400 in 1970 were on the market for $970,000 a few years ago just painted.

One of my kids works at Magnuson Supercharger’s. During this real estate, oil prices rip off crap that cost the world Magnuson is expanding now with two shifts of 65+ people. They do the Toyota race team and work with Lotus Cars too and more. These Superchargers cost big bucks thousands and thousands of $$$ although it has not effected there sales do to who their market is.

Keeping prices at VW prices most below even a 2002 does not do much for the preservation of "one of the prettiest BMWs ever made". And the elite group of people that could have bought anything that have owned them over the years proves it.

LonestarZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupe prices

I think the economy has a lot to do with the prices in today's market. Why they fell in the first place I have no idea. One would think with the history behind these cars they would be up there with other premium cars made in Europe. Yes there are the rust issues but the pricier collector cars have the same issues. I do think the FAQ page on the pricing needs to be updated as rsporsche recommends. Maybe some of you guys with the knowledge and experience with these coupes can discuss what changes need to be made to bring it up to date??

I agree with exec that our coupes get little respect with other car collectors. Old BMW's are just not considered in the same class as exotic collector cars no matter how great they look. Not sure how to change that although getting coupes out there in the public for them to see is a good start. Very few people know of these cars and when they do see one they ask 'what is it?'

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupe prices

If I buy a car and it depreciates less than $1000/yr I am very happy. This has been the case with most of the cars I have owned (if not purchased new - which I try to avoid), including my e9 of four years.

I agree with the previous comments, specifically with the mistaken feeling that the $5-$10K e9 only needs a little attention to make it excellent, but as mentioned, the rust issues are present in most pre1975 imports. I agree that our site, arguably the best reference for e9s, should spell out the very high cost of body parts and rust repair while at the same time mentioning the reasonable engine and transmission components.

Are BMW collectable? Well, with the exception of the 507, they are not and will not be in the class of the Ferraris and Bugattis, but they should be in Jaguar, Mercedes, and Porsche territory. Keep in mind that the highest priced collectibles are often convertibles; in the 1970s BMW was not making convertibles. Just check the difference in price between an XKE coupe (which I like) and the convertible (2-3X more for similar condition). There is the cute factor and the cult factor for VWs. When I see Isettas going for $45K. . . But folks routinely pay $45K for the abominable Amphibicar - neither a good car, nor a good boat and almost as ugly as a Pontiac Aztec (RIP).

I think the increased interest in the CSLs will help the CS and CSis.

My take on collectible BMWs through about 2002 (I refuse to list the cute Isetta because it is not fun to drive):

328 - definitely

507 - the most desirable, now a million dollar car

M1 - definite, prices rising to $150K+ range

CS, CSi, CSL - yes, but see previous thread

2002 tii - yes, now $15-$25K for a nice sorted rust free example

e30 M3 - yes, $25-35K for nice example (still not more than original purchase price in 1988-1991)

e24 M6 or Euro M635 - yes, but prices still falling, albeit slowly, $15-25K for a nice car that was $60K new in 1987-88

Z8 - definitely collectible, did not suffer much depreciation - now are stable and typically $100-130K for a nice car that was $135K new in 2000-2002.

I agree with Murray, in the next several years, excellent coupes will be in the $25-50K range (or may be now), but don't count on six figures for nonCSLs. From the early 1970s, the Mercedes 280SL has done very well for a car with large production numbers, but then again it is a convertible.

And like Murray, take good care of your e9, but drive it a lot and enjoy it and be glad it is not depreciating like a new 6 series (like a rock).

execmalibu

Reaction score
E9 in a Hollywood Movie... Thats my job!

Getting an E9 in a Movie... That sounds exactly like the job description of someone I know... Oh yeah its ME!... Hollywood Picture Cars.com

I have only had my E9s since Nov 2010 but I have already had them used twice on film...

GKB...

Porsche 911Ts even 912 coupes are bringing double, triple or even more then E9s... Alfa GTVs (a coupe) which they built in huge numbers bring more.

Like Rodney Dangerfield used to say... "NO RESPECT"

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seriously, I think it is time to separate ourselves from the 2002 crowd (no offense).

A lot of recent E9 fanboys started with 02's, but never outgrew their penny-wise, pound-foolish childishness. Quit acting like the old 02 crowd, and act respectable...even if the rest of the world doesn't suddenly decide your toy is worth throwing money at, at least you'll have grown up...which is a good part of what life (and hobbies) are all about.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of recent E9 fanboys started with 02's, but never outgrew their penny-wise, pound-foolish childishness. Quit acting like the old 02 crowd, and act respectable...even if the rest of the world doesn't suddenly decide your toy is worth throwing money at, at least you'll have grown up...which is a good part of what life (and hobbies) are all about.

DP,

I am not sure what you are getting at? Act respectable? I was of course joking about a cartel but I remain adamant that while coupe owners do promote the joys of ownership we don't do a great job of promoting the value of our cars given its rarity and beauty. I do know that potential buyers ultimately have the most to do with value; yet, we don't do ourselves any service by trashing eachothers coupes and suggesting that coupes are more expensive to restore than other high end european cars of similar vintage.

By saying that we should distance ourselves from the 02 crowd I am suggesting that we should start thinking/talking about our cars in the "collector car" sense. 02's have cult status but were built in HUGE numbers, kind of like VW Beetles, but IMHO if you want your coupe to increase in value (I do), you should want to promote your car as something that is seminally beautiful in the marquee and worthy of major investment.

One thing I have noticed is that coupe values tend to be significantly higher in Europe than here. Yes, the value of the Euro/Pound is higher, but there also have to be more coupes in Europe than in the States which you would think would drive down prices. I believe this is because the Europeans have a better sense of the coupes value (yes, I know they are not competing with American hot rods for collectors' attention). If I were a lurker/potential buyer on this board, I would be pretty turned off by the discussion. I would probably drop the idea of buying a coupe because they are all rotten as a peach and not worth much even if repaired properly.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Indication of price or value of E-9's--

BLUMAX has been in the sights of two serious collectors with offers of $50 and $60K--but not for sale. These came before the BMW sponsored movie about us that was released last year and prior to the most recent car magazine articles--in Ramp and the current issue of Bimmer magazine.

I could be wrong but my personal experience has been the following. With quality dry bodied examples that I have handled here locally that have become available--when thoroughly sorted mechanically and brought to their best cosmetic condition and appearance each has attracted willing and knowledgable buyers within 30 days or so at very solid prices--when car history is known and documented with good maintenance records--the assurance of a solid sale usually follows quickly. Perhaps the facts of personally assuring the foregoing has aided my experience.

I've been doing this for over 15 years and all the Coupes i've handled (about 25) have sold for $24K at the lowest point several years ago and prices have risen upward since.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Thread Change

As a frequent lurker and an infrequent contributor I have a few thoughts:

1.) This discussion is worth having its own thread maybe titled "Ways to support market values of our Coupes". We shouldn't hijack the sincere desire of someone to find a Coupe. Is there someone on the board that can do this?

2.) As a recipient of Murray's wisdom and experience I believe he is really aware of what is going on in coupe values and maybe we could prevail on him to update the FAQ page.

3. I started my search for a coupe with almost the exact same criteria and ended up with a 2800cs that started life as an automatic and was converted to a 4 speed. I bought it because it was original, three owner, almost rust free having spent its entire life in Sonoma and drove beautifully. So now I own the least collectible of all the 6 cylinder coupes, the bottom of the ladder and I absolutely love it. Thanks again, Murray! I wouldn't sell it for less than $30,000 today for the simple reason that I don't know if I could replace it with a car as nice and I certainly don't want to go through the grief. So my suggestion is this: It is fine to have your perfect car in mind as you search, but don't miss out on a really good one if it doesn't tick all the boxes.

I wish these cars were more valuable too but then I wouldn't drive it as much because of the risk. As Master Card used to say:
Rust Repair Thousands
Mechanical Repairs Hundreds
The silly grin I get every time I drive it Priceless