Werks Shop '74 CS in Key West

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I was also thinking that folks with the money in pocket to buy this car might not be the same enthusiasts who prefer manual cars. Maybe we are under valuing the "autotragics".

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've owned my coupe since 2005 and have seen many instances of e9 self-denegration over the years. Why can't the prices of our cars be allowed to climb without being met bu disbelief and derision? Certainly not for lack of appeal or aesthetics.

It happens with every marque—the good, no-stories cars (original or restored) should command a premium as the collector car world "catches up" with a particular model's inherent value. We all know what it takes to restore a $25K car these days. Is $120K a bit high? Maybe, but the car in question is certainly worth more than a $50K car. I understand that climbing values can price out enthusiasts, but unfortunately that's the reality of all things. That's what I tell myself when I think about the 190SL I let get away ten years ago. Or the Alfa Sprint Speciale...

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
I for one hope there is a bidding war and it sells for over asking. Why should the Porsche guys make all the money?

scottd

Reaction score
In defense of the slushbox

Yes, I was also thinking that folks with the money in pocket to buy this car might not be the same enthusiasts who prefer manual cars. Maybe we are under valuing the "autotragics".

I tend to think the difference between an automatic and a 4speed may narrow, IMHO, as I think an automatic suites the coupe personality just fine (similar to the MBs).

Being a big Porsche fan, I would not consider a sporto vs the 5speed in a long hood, as I think it doesn't suit a small, high-strung sports car.

Here's another auto with an extensive resto:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/3.0csa/1794977.html

Scott

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting to see another Fjord auto up near 100k. Looks like a really detailed documented restoration, body work looks correct even upgraded, right carpet, seats looks really good from the pictures and interior overall seems super pro.

Again without knowing exactly what was done to the Werkshop Fjord it's tough to compare. These guys are asking 90k and they didn't rebuild the engine. From the pics the other car looks like the engine was completely redone, what's the cost for that work by a reputable shop? Taking that into account the asking price on these cars is pretty close.

I think when everything's said and done, this type of finish work demands a premium. While I totally agree that restoration dollars are not a 1 for 1 when selling a car I think there's an understanding that there's also a scale based on documented work and who produced that work.

Although these numbers might seem high and it's probable they won't get asking price I think they'll be a day in the not to distant future where this is more the norm for the well documented and beautifully restored examples of this car.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can get a really nice, more collectible, Porsche 911 for that coin.

Trying to wrap my head around this 'more collectible' claim.

The production totals for 911s vs. e9s does not seem to correlate to 911s being more collectible..... While Porsche was busy making 12-15,000 911s a year from 1969-79, BMW's high-water e9 production was 6,777 in 1972 - with a total of 30,550 coupes in total made over the model's run.
This particular car, a '74 3.0csa is 1 of ONLY 355 made.

We've been scratching our heads for decades wondering when our beloved coupes would get their fair shake. Now the time has arrived for E9s to shine, and our fellow owners are bashing cars and humiliating sellers.

These vehicles are rarified air and those lucky enough to own one are lucky. Let’s not lower the standing of the enthusiasts for these beautiful cars with petty quips and pointless comments. Groups like this should embrace being charged with the stewardship of these classics.

The E9, and the CS in particular is the iconic BMW, they are listed in the 10 most beautiful cars of all time and really anyone should be proud to own such an icon of car design. Even with also being a Porsche guy myself, I have to say that the 3.0CS is a far less common and therefore more striking vehicle.

What team are you on?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, it's nice to know some of my possessions are appreciating in the worlds eye at least- most of my hobbies don't go up in value to anyone but me. I think some of us don't like to see the astronomical prices on these 100 point cars because it reminds us how much work we have to do to ours to command that price and we've already poured so much of our energy into them. Anyhow, regardless of price we truly love our cars- and who can put a price on that! :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 3nsahalee

Coupes find new owners even at $100K all the time (and I'm not talking CSLs), they are private sales so don't expect to see them on eBay or Craigslist. Yes, I feel very fortunate to own a coupe which I cherish as many others here do as well.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around this 'more collectible' claim.

The production totals for 911s vs. e9s does not seem to correlate to 911s being more collectible..... While Porsche was busy making 12-15,000 911s a year from 1969-79, BMW's high-water e9 production was 6,777 in 1972 - with a total of 30,550 coupes in total made over the model's run.

This particular car, a '74 3.0csa is 1 of ONLY 355 made.

We've been scratching our heads for decades wondering when our beloved coupes would get their fair shake. Now the time has arrived for E9s to shine, and our fellow owners are bashing cars and humiliating sellers.

These vehicles are rarified air and those lucky enough to own one are lucky. Let’s not lower the standing of the enthusiasts for these beautiful cars with petty quips and pointless comments. Groups like this should embrace being charged with the stewardship of these classics.

The E9, and the CS in particular is the iconic BMW, they are listed in the 10 most beautiful cars of all time and really anyone should be proud to own such an icon of car design. Even with also being a Porsche guy myself, I have to say that the 3.0CS is a far less common and therefore more striking vehicle.

What team are you on?

+1 Agree all the way

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Agreed, at the end of the day I think all of us just have a deep appreciation for these cars and hopefully in most cases the good fortune of owning one. Personally I feel so lucky whenever I walk into my garage and see her sitting there and think YES!

That’s the one common denominator I’ve found with every coupe owner I’ve met, first and foremost they just LOVE their cars. Making money was never the motivation. Most of us bought knowing we’d probably loose and in the best case break even but it didn’t matter, it was about the car, the epic styling the enjoyment of driving and for some maybe the possibility that one day you might have the resources to make her great again.

While we’re all probably a little envious when a great example comes along and we can’t just plop down the cash and own it, I think it’s great to see the really good ones go for big money, that should be celebrated.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well said, I go in the garage to admire the beauty and still can't believe I own one.

Agreed, at the end of the day I think all of us just have a deep appreciation for these cars and hopefully in most cases the good fortune of owning one. Personally I feel so lucky whenever I walk into my garage and see her sitting there and think YES!

That’s the one common denominator I’ve found with every coupe owner I’ve met, first and foremost they just LOVE their cars. Making money was never the motivation. Most of us bought knowing we’d probably loose and in the best case break even but it didn’t matter, it was about the car, the epic styling the enjoyment of driving and for some maybe the possibility that one day you might have the resources to make her great again.

While we’re all probably a little envious when a great example comes along and we can’t just plop down the cash and own it, I think it’s great to see the really good ones go for big money, that should be celebrated.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The list of unsold cars keeps growing. If the seller is desperate to sell he will slash that asking price.
face it, the list of people ready to part with 100 large +/- 25k for a coupe is a small group. last year at Amelia, there were many beautiful 356 / 911 that did not sell (meet reserve) at auction. its a bit different paying 125k / 250k for a great CSL / Bat CSL, as there is always a market for that.

everybody wants to get the best value they can. a perfectly restored coupe is a bargain at whatever the price is ... and if you have one, there is no need to be in a rush to sell it. that being said, do i think 120k is a bit high for the key west car? - maybe ... i haven't seen it, but the pictures look amazing so the only relevant comment is price, and if it is not worth that amount to you ... that's your opinion / comment ... which is valid, but perhaps not relevant. To get a coupe in that condition is very expensive, and if i was in the market for one, i would go crawl underneath it and look thoroughly at it or have a reputable person do a PPI. In time, even if you paid that much for it, i believe the market will catch up to it.

my .02 cents
scott

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hear perfection and the first picture I see has wind deflectors on both windshield wipers...

You all seem to be blinded by the asking price and associate perfection with a high price. It is just a coupe.

Mr. Spleen

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks. I also noticed that the door cards aren't original? The fishscale pattern is missing on the tops! If it is in fact unique to the 74/75's models (I'm thinking not, but willing to learn:)!?Original and good condition door panels are 'visiting cards' to any quality interior, I find.
Also, on pic #5 and 15 ( trunk) there are "long enforcements", running down the left and right sides) which I have never seen before or noticed on any coupes. Again I'm thinking it must be unique to the last batch/series 45xxxxxx? Or maybe even just for the US market. My 22753xx surely doesn't have them. Seems like a good reinforcement, as almost ANY reinforcement is good for the E9.
Finally, would this CS not have the electric external mirrors, or was that only for the 75's?
Ive been around since the Late 80's but have a long way to go, Coupe wise!
No criticism intended as I know very well how quickly one can end up spending tons of cash when the wish list is unlimited.
But carbs and automatic..........
Always a great place to communicate with knowledgeable folks
Best wishes. Keshav