What not to do.......... or maybe?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I hope that @m5bb doesn't mind that I am pilling onto this thread since it is about brass coolant tanks. I dropped off 9 tanks at the vaport honing guy today. He took a test pass on one of the tanks. It looks sparkly but there is no pitting. I'm going to shoot them with primer and black after repairing any solder, but I'll post a pic of the vapor honing results. You don't want to dry blast these things as it leaves them cloudy and pitted. Looks like vaport blasting will take off old zinc also.

47525220691_f3c776e81b_b.jpg

46609834445_1e0d9101e8_b.jpg

33648490738_b102de42c0_b.jpg

He also had really good things to say about the SEM paint that mimics eCoat look and feel. It is a nice satin black.

46609834385_b5007bdd6e_b.jpg

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos, I media blasted mine to get it clean. I use micro glass beads not sand and yes it does make them dull but good paint like the SEM with two coats seems to make them look like original.
I just found over the years because of it's location and working around in on Webers that is scratches easily and just looks older.
That's why I did the powder coat. ( and I had an extra in case I really screwed it up) Everything on my car that can be is powder coated. All the drive train and suspension.
So once you start you're sort of committed.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, I media blasted mine to get it clean. I use micro glass beads not sand and yes it does make them dull but good paint like the SEM with two coats seems to make them look like original.
I just found over the years because of it's location and working around in on Webers that is scratches easily and just looks older.
That's why I did the powder coat. ( and I had an extra in case I really screwed it up) Everything on my car that can be is powder coated. All the drive train and suspension.
So once you start you're sort of committed.

Thanks Gary! I would prefer to use powder also but in this case paint will have to do. The only thing I don’t like powder on is wheels, and only certain wheels where visibility of the center lug markings is important (like Alpina and BBS).