What to do about this?

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought a 2800cs last weekend. Today I pulled the valve cover and found this. I’m definitely in over my head.
924e50e8026c1b2a05b5fa9298de5d3f.jpg
2b7238a2c9d1a0f9420d3984fd320ca2.jpg
e5626c4d28bdb659025f008b354e36fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Next steps are to pull the motor. Determine if you want to keep the block or swap it all. You can pull the head and see what the block looks like first. Since there is seemingly no oil in the motor I’m sure that the cylinder walls won’t look pretty either.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not a pretty sight under that valve cover. obviously it wasn't a running a 2800 cs. i think Markos is probably correct of what you will find under the head. it is probably much easier to find a decent b34 or b35 (3.5L) and upgrade your drivetrain.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
As long as the block isn't cracked it can be saved depending on how deep you want to go into your pocket. It may be better to push the original motor in a corner of the garage and go with a later motor as previously suggested

dj_efk

Reaction score
I’m struggling to think how the head got this bad.

The only explanation is that water has got in there and not been removed for a long time - My money would be on a flood that this engine got caught up in.

Understand the sentiment about keeping the original engine, I feel the same way about mine.

Better start saving for a full rebuild - There will almost certainly be no other option.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only explanation is that water has got in there and not been removed for a long time - My money would be on a flood that this engine got caught up in.

Understand the sentiment about keeping the original engine, I feel the same way about mine.

Better start saving for a full rebuild - There will almost certainly be no other option.
Could you tell us more about the car? How was it advertised? How far short of your expectations did it fall? More photos of the interior, undercarriage, exterior? Do you have any recourse to the seller if the rest of your car has as many surprises as the head?

Steve

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

What shape is the car in? Was the motor in the car when it corroded like this? I'd wonder if the chassis isn't far behind (hope not!). Thinking good thoughts.

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Could you tell us more about the car? How was it advertised? How far short of your expectations did it fall? More photos of the interior, undercarriage, exterior? Do you have any recourse to the seller if the rest of your car has as many surprises as the head?

Steve

e09bb202c4fd63883df600fca560e9c6.jpg

Sean-e9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This one is in rough shape. Floors have rusted away and it has been picked over as a parts car by the previous owner.

I’m planning to have it completely restored. I’d hoped to get the engine running before sending it out, but after peaking under the valve cover that’s not something I can tackle myself.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one is in rough shape. Floors have rusted away and it has been picked over as a parts car by the previous owner.

I’m planning to have it completely restored. I’d hoped to get the engine running before sending it out, but after peaking under the valve cover that’s not something I can tackle myself.

Whatever the case, you should be commended for your positive outlook. I for one wish you the best of luck in saving this one!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's another one one similar to it on bigcoupe. A definite barn find appears to be all there Owner says some E9 guys are looking at it already

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you receive a clear title (not a salvage)? I am a saver - and although this looks like a significant undertaking, I love to see another coupe saved!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's another one one similar to it on bigcoupe. A definite barn find appears to be all there Owner says some E9 guys are looking at it already

That has been listed here and has been viewed by some very knowledgeable folks. It has also had several offers that were below the “sum of all parts” estimate, but still reasonable.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That has been listed here and has been viewed by some very knowledgeable folks. It has also had several offers that were below the “sum of all parts” estimate, but still reasonable.
Read the small print. Looks like you paid $1,000. Sean. And the seller seemed to be as transparent as the missing floors. I am sure some other much more knowledgable names on this board will chime in. Looks to me you can get your money back and more in parts. I would talk to lots of knowing people before starting a restoration. Sadly, some of our coupes can't be saved.

Steve