What would you consider.....

pj

Reaction score
I was in a 06 m5 this weekend at sears point , loadsa powerbut a big heavy beast,. $1200 for a set of rear brakes ouch, still he couldn't catch me in the e30.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I spent some time looking on the Range Rover boards. It's interesting that everyone loves their RR/LR but most admit they are very spendy to maintain. Still looking.

I know this is an International board so I dont know if this will translate, but I really want to buy a US car. Our economy is in the toilet and I sure would like to be patriotic, but there just isnt much to choose from...

I know what you mean. The only domestics I would consider today are the CTS-V and the Tarus SHO, and both of them have significant compromises. The now-dead G8 was another excellent choice. The Aussies get the excellent Zeta-platform Holdens and the Ford Falcon, but alas, the US gets neither. Heck, the Euro Fords are leaps and bounds better than the US counterparts, such as the Transit, Mondeo, and Focus. (like the superb Focus RS)

The CTS-V, new and previous gen alike, compromised in several key areas, at least to me. Primary among these compromises is in the interior. I'll admit that I am a stickler when it comes to interior details, materials, and appointments. The CTS-V really let me down in this department, as it is supposed to be a luxury car first, a sporting car second. I found the leather to be of poor grade, present in many unusual and often un-needed places, while lacking in other, crucial places, and decidedly bereft of color options. If I am going to drop 70 large on a car, it had better be the way I want it, and that means more than 4 exterior colors and 2 interior colors. I also found the interior to be extremely monochromatic, which often causes an interior to "run together" visually. The controls and switchgear were straight from a Cobalt in some places. I place a high value on good interfaces, be it a material interface, like a seat surface or the steering wheel feel, or in the action and heft of the switchgear. When the switchgear in my 15 year-old E34 feels more solid, that is not a good sign. Also, the buttons used poor paint; the stencils were breaking off in the dealer lot. Speaking of paint, many of the new GMs have absolutely abysmal paint. I saw it quite literally flaking off in the dealer lot on more than 10 vehicles of varying types. They really need to fix their paint blend. Overall, I felt the car was a step in the right direction, but it paled in comparison dynamically, internally, and externally to even my beat-up E34. A new-ish 335 absolutely clobbered it in many areas for much less cash. I feel it would be an excellent contender at a lower price point, but for 60-70k, or even 50k, the Jag absolutely crushes it, as does the Audi, Merc, even the G8. Then, there's that stupid 1st-to-4th shifter thingie on the manuals, that would drive me bonkers.

Dynamically, the CTS-V is killer. The thing can handle, and the engine is a screamer. I do find it kind of lame they watered it down in the latest gen, though when compared to the Corvette implementation. The brakes are good, the looks are sticking with the previous design language, and the thing isn't festooned with gaudy "racing" exterior bits, which I like.

I did not like how tiny the car is. I felt pretty cramped in the back (6'1") and the trunk is not that big. I wish they had put the drivetrain in a Zeta platform, as the extra room would really make the car much more liveable.

I have not tried an SHO yet, but I am hoping to soon.

acat2002

Reaction score
What your thoughts on a Ford Cosworth as daily driver ?

Cosworth? where can I check one out?
Call me cynical, but if Ford makes a real car (like a Cosworth) it's probably not avaiable in the states (just an uneducated guess)

The forum can chide me at will for what I'm about to say, but I just learned that the all new 2011 Cayenne is due in showrooms this may/June. I'm not really interested in the new line, but it's a significant body style change. I'm guessing that the previous Gen2 Cayenne ('08-'10) will be available at a nice discount as soon as the new model hits the street (on top of the already precipitous depreciation). My guess is that a wave of '08s will be coming off their 36/39-month leases over the next six months at the same time the new model is released. That's exactly what happened to the earlier Cayennes when the '08s came out, the differnec being that the earlier version had some bugs/flaws. If I can source a '08-'09 Cayenne Turbo or GTS with under 20,000 for high $50s/low $60s I could be tempted.

I know the Cayenne is anything but "under-the-radar" and is usually the 1st choice for the more-money-than-brains crowd, but the its stats don't lie. This rig may be the ultimate New England do-all for me.

Must admit that Duane's suggestion is REALLY tempting (RS4 or S4).

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Cosworth? where can I check one out?
Call me cynical, but if Ford makes a real car (like a Cosworth) it's probably not avaiable in the states (just an uneducated guess)

The forum can chide me at will for what I'm about to say, but I just learned that the all new 2011 Cayenne is due in showrooms this may/June. I'm not really interested in the new line, but it's a significant body style change. I'm guessing that the previous Gen2 Cayenne ('08-'10) will be available at a nice discount as soon as the new model hits the street (on top of the already precipitous depreciation). My guess is that a wave of '08s will be coming off their 36/39-month leases over the next six months at the same time the new model is released. That's exactly what happened to the earlier Cayennes when the '08s came out, the differnec being that the earlier version had some bugs/flaws. If I can source a '08-'09 Cayenne Turbo or GTS with under 20,000 for high $50s/low $60s I could be tempted.

I know the Cayenne is anything but "under-the-radar" and is usually the 1st choice for the more-money-than-brains crowd, but the its stats don't lie. This rig may be the ultimate New England do-all for me.

Must admit that Duane's suggestion is REALLY tempting (RS4 or S4).

Did they fix the alignment issues? My Mom had a 1st gen Toureg, and that thing would go through tires like nobody's business, all because they couldn't align the thing. The Cayenne had the same issue, as I recall, as the platforms were shared enough.

acat2002

Reaction score
Haven't heard of any alignment issues, but a 6000lbs SUV will certaintly eat through tires.
I'll check with my Rennsport boards regarding Cayenne alignment now that I'm curious.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
AUDI RS4 no question about it. I have driven both the 2007 and 2008 RS4 four door and it is just an amazing car. The Quattro alll wheel drive is amazing and handles beautifully and with 420HP the car really goes.