What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

Rek

Reaction score
Herr Walloth and Herr Nesch agree with you

http://www.wallothnesch.com/glas-m-rahmen-dichtung-rechts-63-08-02.html

QUOTE=deQuincey;152526]i guess you are all too wealthy ;-)

it is ridiculous to pay such money for a taillight ! old E3 taillights (the ones with chrome surrounds) are available at 70 euro per side, and they are essentially same technology and bigger !

i think 100 euro per side is the Price to be paid IMHO

rgds[/QUOTE]

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Everyone, please note that I do not know who the mfg is. I only know a vendor of reproduction parts who knows the mfg. I would much rather deal directly with a mfg, but I don't know any in the USA who would be interested in our miniscule volumes. For example, I inquired about reproduction inner door panel trim strips. I was told that it could be made for about $6/foot, but the minimum order was 2000 feet + $6k for tooling and setup. I don't have $20k cash lying around to spend on a pile of trim that might take years to sell. Unless one of you rich guys (you know who you are), wants to go into the parts business, I think group-buy is the only realistic way we can get someone interested. If we were talking 2002 parts, it might be a different story as there must be 10x more out there being restored than E9's.

I need to measure the total length per car to figure out how many cars it would take and the cost per car....
And no, I do not have $20K laying around :(

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't need these, but is there any possibility of 3D printing as a way to produce the frames????? No savings in volume with this, but perhaps if only 6-10 are wanted, it still might be cheaper. Just a thought.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
from the handbrake thread

We should do like, "forum sourcing" so we can fund some of these reproductive ventures We contribute to a particular fund, say de Q's (Paul Cain's) part or The Taillight Lens Project, credits (like stock) are issued based on how much the individual contributes, when parts are sold investors get paid back/paid a small amount for each sale and the designer gets residuals as well. The funds would have to be raised in full before anyone's money is used. Whoever manages the production run (the designer) has to get the quote for the run and be prepared to ship and track that projects' orders. The part might cost members and the public a little more than what it costs to produce but it would be available, and it is incentive to keep new ideas and products forthcoming.....

It would be great to find a manufacturer who would work with us on some of these projects.

OK, I was just thinking

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has W&N beat us to it and did us a big favor by doing a right lens for a much lower price?
Or is this NOS?
I didn't see a matching left side part either.

John

m73

Reaction score
I am certainly not trying to rain on the parade....but why not contact W&N or even BMW (if these are still made?) for a group buy?

With 20k on the line, they might listen....

Where is that Rolodex...

Mo Faraz

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has W&N beat us to it and did us a big favor by doing a right lens for a much lower price?
Or is this NOS?
I didn't see a matching left side part either.

John
hopefully its not an error. who wants to put a gruppe order in and get them shipped together to the states (to save shipping) ... and then distribute them.

i would do it, but after all of the parts shipping i've been doing, my wife would kill me. i'm in if anybody is willing to organize it.

scott

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can do shipping/receiving/etc from my warehouse in Texas. I have an old software package that I use to track costs on these cars so it's not a problem- plus my warehouse manager is constantly in awe of the beauty of these cars and is impressed with the parts going in and out of my little shop of horrors. Let me know if you could use this set up and I can put it on auto-pilot. We can also ship worldwide from this location with favorable rates depending on the carrier. Did I mention I could use 2 complete sets :) (maybe more)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am certainly not trying to rain on the parade....but why not contact W&N or even BMW (if these are still made?) for a group buy?

With 20k on the line, they might listen....

Where is that Rolodex...

Mo Faraz
The answer I got back from the parts dealer (yesterday) that knows the guy in Europe who makes good repro tail lights for 1960's German cars said the mfg was not interested in doing any more because the returns on the investment were too slow. I guessed that too many people had asked in the past where there was not much contractually guaranteed revenue.

I tried to sweeten the deal by mentioning a 1st group buy might be "only $20k for 40-50 sets."

I have not heard back whether he'll present this to the German mfg.

BTW, this was just for the frame/lenses, not the rear plastic part that holds the bulbs...

John

m73

Reaction score
I am slightly confused on who makes what or for how much, but if the lights do exist, it would make sense to try & buy them cheaper via group.

If for some reason the lenses can't be found then making them would seem like the logical choice.

Much credit to those going after this, seems a bit too complex for me at the moment....

Mo

Last edited:

saman

Reaction score
i ordered one at the new price last week. today got a mail from W&N saying there was a computer glitch so they are out and cannot sell to me!

Cateyes

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 240

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Das Glimmerblinken Herstellung

I've found a maker overseas that specializes in short runs and has experience with tail lights. I'll check and see just what the options are and report back.

Ian

1970 2800CS Chamonix, waiting......
blog at newian.me

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've found a maker overseas that specializes in short runs and has experience with tail lights. I'll check and see just what the options are and report back.

Ian

1970 2800CS Chamonix, waiting......
blog at newian.me

Don't bother if it is that guy in Australia. I have been working with him for over a year and still waiting for samples. The first batch were beautiful but did not fit in the frames. I sent more samples and frames and last I heard they were almost done and due to ship before Christmas. I assumed the Christmas that has just passed but maybe he meant 2016....

pmansson

Reaction score
255 EUR each plus 18% tax

This is what W&N sold them for about 7 yrs ago. I bought several. They were NOS as far as I remenber. Just as a reference point.