What's the most comfortable car you've ever driven?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the 1998 E36 318i. Light, balanced, CR 5 speed. Either empty highway or stop-and-go I enjoy driving to work and back.
Only car that gets me from Cupertino to San Diego with one tank.
All it needs to be happy is new Bilsteins and Michelin tires.

E36 M3, have driven it 22 hours straight from the Cherokee Reservation near mile 0 of the Blue Ridge Parkway to Brunswick, Maine.

Close second, E28.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll also add that riding in the back seat of a brand new 72' 3.0 CS that at times was hitting 110 mph on my way to see the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport was the most impressed I have ever been with an automobile. I guess that counts as comfortable. Loved the sound, smell and view out the window. The reason I bought my Coupe.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife has had 5 spinal surgeries in the past 7 years, and has constant pain in her back. We've owned every German brand except VW, a Lexus, and several Volvos. She feels the current 2013 Audi A8 (SWB) is the most comfortable seat/car she's ever been in. I feel pretty much the same way.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Audi Coupe with Roxy Music at 2AM on I-70. Infiniti M45 —the weird one with mixed up American-Asian—Euro styling & silly big V8. As above, grandma’s Lincoln.

scottd

Reaction score
We've had four volvos, and I still think that for a long trip, the seats are the most comfortable.
So many cars are tiring to sit in for a long time. Most uncomfortable? Typically Nissans.

Scott

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
For me comfortable seating has to go side by side with comfortable Suspention specially for long drives ...
My wife still prefers our 2005 RangeRover at the top of all cars we took for long trips . We drove it numerous times from Edmond Oklahoma to Boulder Colorado 720 miles each way ... (although I would never buy another Ranage Rover... )
we have now been together 33 years and earlier years we loved to drive far on our trips visiting different cities across the US.
Our 1986 E300 Mercedes was very comfortable on long trips. Before that 1980 244 Volvo with Velour Upholstrey was nice . We didn’t care for the ride quality of Nissan and Toyota’s we once had.
At this time , For comfort I would lean toward German cars with Neumatic Suspention, Audi and Mercedes are on top of my list ...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
We haven't done a long trip yet, but so far the 2016 E class I just bought for my wife is the most comfortable car I have ever driven.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The massaging cushion in my X5 is weird but it does delay the onset of TB syndrome in long drives. But the ride of the X5 is too stiff for me to say it’s the most comfortable. My wife’s W164 is VERY and strikes a great balance between being isolated from the road without being bouncy/wallow-y. Of modern cars Marc gets my vote over any BMW. Isn’t much fun to drive but .... comfortable.

w. chen

Reaction score
Yes, I did drive a Citroen ds21. Had never been in one before n after that first ride I was completely blown away. It was such a cushy ride. Seats were great (they were all dense foam, no springs) n gave a real ride on air. Suspension made it even better n going over bumps (any kind), what bumps? It flatten all the bumps. Though it didn’t take lightly to dips.
I was so impressed that I got the smaller version, the gs series. An air cooled opposed 4 like vw. This vehicle shamed all small cars n medium sized cars. Incredible firm but supple ride. Wasn’t as good as the ds but way above all the rest of the similar sized cars. The later models after the ds could never equal its ride quality. Citroen hydro suspension was simply superb n way ahead of anyone even till this day. It was just complicated if u don’t know mechanics.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
W Chen, many years ago when I had a rusty 240-Z I got a ride in a 2CV Citroen. We were heading down a dirt road at about 45 MPH. I saw a Huge pothole in front of us and basically went into defense mode expecting the car to break in half (Like my 240-Z would have done) It was like it ran over a bubble. The suspension took the whole hit.
Quite amazing.