When did you first experience ageism?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

BTW - Edge case aside, I don’t equate the 40+ protected class as having any merit in the work place or practical application in the legal arena.
Totally agree. These mass layoffs in tech under the guise of "we overhired during to the pandemic" are the perfect opportunity to not have to consider protected classes nor performance. Women over 40 coming back from maternity leave were caught, and have no recourse, when done as a reduction in force.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I never knew the protected class as over 40. Before I retired 5 years ago, I was sure it was 50. However, it really didn't seem to mean much. Lack of proper documentation and special circumstances prevented letting people go even when they deserved it.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a ton of respect for cultures like Japan that value age and experience, the other place you would be spring chicken with a long career ahead would be the US senate. Note I refrained from a really cheap shot at the top job in the country...
Counterpoint: one of the things that perpetuates Japan's continual circling of the drain is its gerontocracy.

There is no denying that one loses neurons as they age, and neuroplasticity is effectively not a thing anymore past thirty. And for so many people, their "thirty years of experience" or whatever of doing something really is just "one year * thirty," rather than "thirty years * one," if you catch my drift.

Aside from the very real degradation of one's brain and body... age seems to largely be a state of mind. How willing is one to continually learn new things? To keep a beginner's mind?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Counterpoint: one of the things that perpetuates Japan's continual circling of the drain is its gerontocracy.

There is no denying that one loses neurons as they age, and neuroplasticity is effectively not a thing anymore past thirty. And for so many people, their "thirty years of experience" or whatever of doing something really is just "one year * thirty," rather than "thirty years * one," if you catch my drift.

Aside from the very real degradation of one's brain and body... age seems to largely be a state of mind. How willing is one to continually learn new things? To keep a beginner's mind?

It almost reads as you don’t expect individuals to learn and grow past their 30’s, and all subsequent experience is just a derivative of what they learned in their 30’s. Your point could be true if you are in the same role for 30 years going simply through the motions, but that is a personality and environment issue to solve. The marketplace has already negated anyone’s ability to stay complacent.

I personally grew the most technically and organizationally in my late 30’s. Don’t repeat these theories to all of the actors who broke into the business in their 40’s and refined their skills. Just a silly but relevant example.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tahoe Donner Ski Resort 10 years ago- tell the sweet young counter help I want a lift ticket for the day.
She said “oh no- Over 70 is free!
I was young and proud back then. I insisted on paying…
Good story! I guess it went downhill since then :).

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes and I want my investment advisor to be old enough to remember what a recession is, that banks fail, that money isn't always 0% rate, and that stocks go down too.
Yes, but then you have the paradox of "if your broker is so good, how comes he is still working"...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Yes, the US can offer more dynamism and mobility. I have friends that retired, and it seems to be more about energy level and patience to put up with politics, nonsense, and minutia; not so much about skills or neurons. Self consciousness about being the oldest person around is also a factor.

One great GM I had 10 years ago used to designate people that had sufficient net worth as having "fuck you money". Namely the ability to leave with a door slam whenever they wanted. I tell my children that saving is not about greed, it is about the freedom to go pursue your dreams, or walk away from situations others impose on you.

gwittman

Reaction score
I have never been concerned about getting old. After I turned 70 and had to start drawing Social Security, I figured I would end up paying most of it in income tax. I told my boss I wanted to start working 3 days a week. He was just happy that I did not want to retire. BTW, he is 87.

I work for a small business that deals mostly with Aerospace and Space. I enjoy my work and don't have plans to retire any time soon. I am about to turn 76 and love the 4-day weekend but really look forward to going back to work for 3 days.

Many people have retired in the industry I work in, and many young engineers are taking over. I can tell they are very intelligent, but their lack of experience shows. Many are trying to solve problems that were solved years ago. I have seen where they are using technology that was used in the Space Shuttle for the Artemis program and are having a hard time getting it to work properly. Fortunately, there are few people like my boss that have knowledge that goes back as far as the Appolo days and can provide advice to get them back on track.

The only problem I have with my age now is my body is slower than my brain. I don't look forward to the time when my brain also slows down. Until then, it is full speed ahead.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, here is an example of what I mean.
There is a crisis, there is a shortage, let's attract more women! All good. How about train semiretired folks? Nothing more trustworthy than experience for security. Oh, well.