Where are the e9s?

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I don’t know of any other e9s in Memphis other than those that I own. They are exceptionally rare in TN,MS and AL. As a goofy nod to Ohmess, a month ago I applied for tags to my 73 3.0 cs. I requested my historic tag read: analog. At the same time I applied for another tag for my e24 m6, my request: digital. I can’t wait to get them on the cars and get some tag shots next to each other.

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to Malibu C&C twice last year and was the only e9 in attendance. My car got a lot of attention probably because it stood out against the many Porsche's that dominate these events.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I may have the only CS left in Hawaii. All the others (at one time maybe 8 or 10) have been shipped out. Someone prove me wrong?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A bunch of them are hidden in caves like the attached...

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 181

m5toureg

Reaction score
Numbers for Germany as provided for by KBA (the official car registry authority):
Jan. 1st 2021:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 128
2800 CS Typ 359 = 171
3.0 CS Typ 363 = 488 inkl. CSL
3.0 CSi Typ 364 = 635 inkl. CSL

Jan. 1st 2020:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 125
2800 CS Typ 359 = 168
3.0 CS Typ 363 = 472 inkl. CSL
3.0 CSi Typ 364 = 613 inkl. CSL

jmackro

Reaction score
Quite a few in Long Beach and Orange County

Yes. My e9 is regularly at our local Cars & Coffee, but it's the C&C that caters to older cars (and yes, older owners). There are lots of C&C's around here that cater to the Mustang/Porsche/Lamborghini/supercar crowd, but we e9 people avoid those like the plague.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I should start an inventory of the ones here in Iran. There are quite a few and I know most of them.
Problem here is that owners are paranoid of giving out VINs.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Numbers for Germany as provided for by KBA (the official car registry authority):
Jan. 1st 2021:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 128
2800 CS Typ 359 = 171

Jan. 1st 2020:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 125
2800 CS Typ 359 = 168
Maybe I'm looking at this info incorrectly - or maybe I'm just dense. But I don't understand what I'm looking at. Are these only cars in Germany, as registered at the dates noted?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know of 3 e9’s in Michigan, and two in Indiana. There may be more I don’t know of.
As far as e3’s, I thought I was the only one till I found two more. I also have a parts car e3. I should post the vin number I guess.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9’s seem plentiful here in New England. I don’t know if that’s because we have some great shops for E9 restoration and maintenance or if New Englanders simply bought an inordinately large number of the when they were new. This is, after all, where CCA began. In my town of 15k people there are a couple and if you expand this to include a couple adjacent towns I think we have 5 or 6 E9’s. In the Boston area we must have at least 30 coupes. A fair number of pre-war 328’s and 507’s in the areas as well.

I am sure LA and SF handily beat us on sheer numbers. When I lived in Berkeley 40 years ago, coupes and Alpina BMW’s were practically daily sightings.

Some of this is an illusion since Stan and Andrew get out so often in their E9’s.
John

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Within 25 miles of me in Bucks County, Pa there are at least 10. Uh, subtract one, mine, which went to a new owner a year ago. No remorse, no regrets.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jan. 1st 2021:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 128
2800 CS Typ 359 = 171

Jan. 1st 2020:
2.5 CS Typ 380 = 125
2800 CS Typ 359 = 168
larger numbers in each categorize, restored? imported?

aeronotix

Reaction score
Hi.
Personally (yet probably quite representative) my E9 is sadly stuck in my garage for years due to lack of availability and price of spare parts.
Between NLAs and crazy expensive (quite often hoarded..) parts, it has been quite challenging to bring it to top notch condition.
I was super lucky to buy my E9 at 31yo 8 years ago when it was affordable, but I’m not at a situation in life where I can spend too much capital. So progress in getting it completed is slow.
On a positive note I’ll promise you some days it will come out again as pretty as it left Osnabrück

After returning to the forum with renewed interest, I have been checking out YouTube videos on e9s. After seeing some good restoration videos, I was steered into some coffee-and-cars, then Bimmer car meets. Where were the e9s!?

Cars and coffee in Malibu, and Scottsdale. Overwhelmed by supercars, Porsches, and custumized Honda’s, Toyotas and other Street rockets, I longed for the profound simplicity and elegance of our e9s. But there were none.

Bimmers of Sweden, an annual meet. Hundreds of Bimmers of every modification know. But nowhere could I find an e9. Where do we hide? Are we antisocial, are we car snobs? Perhaps we are just normal owners who enjoy tinkering with our toys, and occasional fair weather cruising. Perhaps classic cars are just off—trend.

I also noticed that the crowds seemed younger.

Your thoughts? Cheers.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ll say this, other than my own coupe and those I’ve seen at Carl’s, I have never seen one on the road.
And yet there is one 3.6 miles from your local Wells Fargo branch.

Go have a beer at Culture brewery and introduce yourself.