Where are the e9s?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi.
Personally (yet probably quite representative) my E9 is sadly stuck in my garage for years due to lack of availability and price of spare parts.
Between NLAs and crazy expensive (quite often hoarded..) parts, it has been quite challenging to bring it to top notch condition.
I was super lucky to buy my E9 at 31yo 8 years ago when it was affordable, but I’m not at a situation in life where I can spend too much capital. So progress in getting it completed is slow.
On a positive note I’ll promise you some days it will come out again as pretty as it left Osnabrück

Sometimes the pace of this forum makes people feel bad about their path to completion. Don’t let it stifle your enthusiasm. You aren’t on anyone’s timeline but your own. You don’t need to restore, drive, or even own an e9 to be an enthusiast. Take comfort in the fact that your car continues to appreciate even when you casually ignore it. :)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have the only CS left in Hawaii. All the others (at one time maybe 8 or 10) have been shipped out. Someone prove me wrong?
I bought mine, only the second one I'd ever seen in the flesh, on Maui in 2014 from a Craig's List ad. The owner had bought it from the Big Island but was dismayed to find its rust. I know there was at least on other Chamonix one there that was listed for sale about the same time, and then either the same one or another a few years later that apparently was too bad to sell as it was offered free for parts about 2018.

I had moved to Austin in 2016 with my 1970 2800CS or I would have been all over the parts one.
I did meet the owner of a 3.0cs who had some involvement with Sugar Beach Resort in Kihei. He did say he wanted to send it to the mainland for restoration, so maybe it never came back.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Same as our DMV, official German registered e9 by body style.
What I was referring to, if I was reading the chart correctly, the numbers increased for each category from 2020 to 2021, where are they coming from?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
What I was referring to, if I was reading the chart correctly, the numbers increased for each category from 2020 to 2021, where are they coming from?
You can see the same sort of increases in the UK numbers from a site run by an auto enthusiast, https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/
There are increases for each model over the last 10 years but if you click through you can get info from 1995 and there's a U shaped curve. As cars aged and fell off the registry the number declined, then as the value & interest increased, the numbers climbed again as cars were repaired or restored and registered again. Possibly some were imported, I've seen a posting or two referring to shipping cars from Australia to the UK.
Will they plateau? Or continue to increase as the values increase? Time will tell.

Attachments

• 2000cs in UK.png
    2000cs in UK.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 2800cs in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    2800cs in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    30 KB · Views: 94
  • 3.0csi in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    3.0csi in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.0cs in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    3.0cs in UK 2010 - 2020.png
    29 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.0cs in UK 1005 - 2020.png
    3.0cs in UK 1005 - 2020.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 84

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi.
Personally (yet probably quite representative) my E9 is sadly stuck in my garage for years due to lack of availability and price of spare parts.
Between NLAs and crazy expensive (quite often hoarded..) parts, it has been quite challenging to bring it to top notch condition.
I was super lucky to buy my E9 at 31yo 8 years ago when it was affordable, but I’m not at a situation in life where I can spend too much capital. So progress in getting it completed is slow.
On a positive note I’ll promise you some days it will come out again as pretty as it left Osnabrück

Consider a concentration on the mechanical parts so as to get your car on the road. I'm pretty sure you can find the mechanical parts to get any coupe going. Then do the rest as you enjoy the car.

As to hoarding, some of us just haven't gotten around to putting some of the stuff we have on the market. Its a chunk of work to take pictures and figure what price you want and put together a for sale ad. If you post a wanted to buy, folks like me will often come out of the woodwork.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You can see the same sort of increases in the UK numbers from a site run by an auto enthusiast, https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/
There are increases for each model over the last 10 years but if you click through you can get info from 1995 and there's a U shaped curve. As cars aged and fell off the registry the number declined, then as the value & interest increased, the numbers climbed again as cars were repaired or restored and registered again. Possibly some were imported, I've seen a posting or two referring to shipping cars from Australia to the UK.
Will they plateau? Or continue to increase as the values increase? Time will tell.
Statutory Off Road Notification.

m5toureg

Reaction score
What I was referring to, if I was reading the chart correctly, the numbers increased for each category from 2020 to 2021,
where are they coming from?
@mark99 -
1) cars are exported and imported from/to Germany on a regular basis
(like imported from Sweden, exported to the NL and USA)
2) the official car registry (KBA) statistics includes cars that at any point
during the previous 12 months have been registered for street legal traffic *)
i.e. racing cars, project cars under restoration etc etc are NOT included -
*) differently from f.ex. Sweden where ALL existing cars that ever received
a licence plate (life-time) are included in the public records until exported
or wrecked.
-
the figures for Sweden (a population of roughly 9 million) were
= on June 28th 2015 (!!)
3.0 CSi 149
3.0 CS 84
3.0 CSA 77
2800 CS 61
2800 CSA 24
3.0 CSL 3003cc 11
2.5 CS 10
3.0 CSL 3153cc 7
2.5 CSA 3
3.0 CSA/USA 3
3.0 CSL RHD 1
= 430 E9

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi.
This is where the “social” part of social media (considering that these types of web sites are part of that realm) comes in. Always remember: “What goes around comes around.” If one is going to be a drama queen or pretentious a-hole be prepared for the boomerang effect. But if you prove yourself as a positive member of this community, often participating, showing your enthusiasm for the common interest, and demonstrating your work, even if on modest parts, you will be amazed at what may come your way in return. As @Ohmess said, when you are stuck, start a “part wanted” or “help wanted“ thread. You might be pleasantly surprised...

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sometimes the pace of this forum makes people feel bad about their path to completion. Don’t let it stifle your enthusiasm. You aren’t on anyone’s timeline but your own. You don’t need to restore, drive, or even own an e9 to be an enthusiast. Take comfort in the fact that your car continues to appreciate even when you casually ignore it. :)
Thank you MTW - this is the excuse I needed. I thought I was just a lazy and distracted procrastinator.

You forgot to calculate average rainfall into the likelihood, or unlikelihood, of seeing E9s. Rain, possible rain, remote possibility of rain, vaguest slimmest most minute intimation of rain means no E9s. Would you even bother owning one, in say, Portland?

Storage Andy

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Saratoga Springs, NY at the club Vintage Show we get several E9's. This year the show is in the fall, Oct 8-10. I'll be bringing mine this year as she is getting better and better as she gets older. Come and join us it's a great time.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sadly, I know someone who has 4 E9's when I last looked, incl a CSL. All sitting in a building he owns. He has about 30 vintage BMW's and all in disarray and very few roadworthy. Basically an indoor junk yard at this point, sad. I was able to get him to sell me my E9 about 5 years ago. I send him pictures of my resto here and there to light a fire under his arse, but no such luck. Also shelves of parts incl many NOS. I don't understand the mentality.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sadly, I know someone who has 4 E9's when I last looked, incl a CSL. All sitting in a building he owns. He has about 30 vintage BMW's and all in disarray and very few roadworthy. Basically an indoor junk yard at this point, sad. I was able to get him to sell me my E9 about 5 years ago. I send him pictures of my resto here and there to light a fire under his arse, but no such luck. Also shelves of parts incl many NOS. I don't understand the mentality.

GLUTTNOS : Greedy or excessive indulgence in NOS parts.
Merriam-Webster.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's amazing how much nearly 50 year old NOS that keeps appearing.

Well not all NOS is 50 years old. Much of it is 10 to 30 years old. Still old AF and under utilized however. I tried to sell my NOS fenders but nobody wanted them :D