Which Suspension? Fully adjustable. Road use.

RandomPunter

Reaction score
Which suspension are you all running? I want height adjustable suspension & something for quick road use. I am looking at Gaz Gold and they cost 1,000 GBP do before I push the button wondered what you lot are using. Looking to achieve height in the pic. I have already bought the 17 inch Alpinas, staggered. Appreciate comments on their performance on road or other suggestions.

Attachments

• d003156163873a4548cf5cbcc535ad54 (2).jpg
    d003156163873a4548cf5cbcc535ad54 (2).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 706
  • bmw-e9-6.jpg
    bmw-e9-6.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 345

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is no one suspension that we are "all running". You will find at least one example of every type represented. All the way to air bags. Use the search button and type "suspension".

A simple and cost effective solution many people use is a set of new Bilstein HDs and the "Carl Nelson" springs from La Jolla Independent.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
On my rally car i have a "INTRAX" ( Holland) suspension ( all coil overs, adjustable) ….but than we speak of approx 5k euros and welding needed front & rear . So sure not very common …. Most have indeed the Bilstein shocks and springs with rates/height as preferred.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
3.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
e.jpg
z.jpg
ground control
its about 400 for the camber plates and you insert bilsteins
inside your existing tube base
i have a set of extra springs i could sell you
brand new that go with this i got two sets of springs from them

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
I tried solid (ie no rubber parts) adjustable camber plates made for a 2002 racer, but the effect on a road car was far too harsh.

cdavie2002

Reaction score
I take it the ride height on the fronts cannot be adjusted without altering the pre-load?

Last edited:

cdavie2002

Reaction score
My H&R set up wait to install.

View attachment 62132

Hi, can you advise on how you adjust the ride height without selecting different spring lengths or changing the spring pre-load?

I imagine after building, you adjustedhe collar to +/-5mm up to slightly grip/compress the spring and set the pre-load. Im sure you could continue to adjust further and yes that would in turn adjust the ride height. But, I cannot see how you can adjust the height without also compressing the spring & adjusting the pre-load...

Thanks,
Chris

JamesE30

Reaction score
Hi, can you advise on how you adjust the ride height without selecting different spring lengths or changing the spring pre-load?

I imagine after building, you adjust the collar to +/-5mm up to slightly grip/compress the spring and set the pre-load. Im sure you could continue to adjust further and yes that would in turn adjust the ride height. But, I cannot see how you can adjust the height without also compressing the spring & adjusting the pre-load...

Thanks,
Chris

I believe you are asking about the helper springs on the front struts?

Under the weight of the car the “helper springs” on the front are fully compressed. They serve no purpose in the suspensions performance other than keeping the coils under enough tension at full droop that they don’t rattle or become misaligned. The hight is adjusted by the threaded collar which will determine where the spring will sit when the suspension is under load.
So while technically you are “preloading” the helper spring, it has such a low spring rate that it is always fully compressed when the car is on the ground anyway so it has no effect on the performance of the actual coil which sits above it.

There is no real “preload” Adjustment, such as you would have on a motorcycle shock.

Hope I sort of explained that haha

Last edited:

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah the more I read and watch(youtube); I understand a bit more, then end up with more questions....

I actually wasn't referring to helper springs, but I now understand their purpose! Speaking of helper springs; JamesE30 on your H&R setup, what is between the helper spring and the main spring?

I was getting myself confused before after looking at examples of these strut assemblies (picture1); that seem to more adjustment than I would if I were to install the IE Perch Kit (pictures 2&3).

Im also liking the idea of this!!

https://catuned.com/catuned-e9-e3-bavaria-coilovers

Last edited:

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went with Ground Control coilovers. After diving into all the other options it seemed like they really build something special. I have only installed the rears so far, while the are currently building my fronts (they modify your cores and powder coat when they build the front assembly). They are really great to work with for dialing in your car, which as we know may not be quite right on first attempt when fitting a different motor or other modifications. In my electric situation I have a lot of calculations for weights front and rear, but not all of them are solidified. So they are happy to work with me as I might need to swap springs over the first couple of months.

So I will try to remember to come back and let you know how I am liking them in the coming months.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
@JetDexter Wise move. Your going to really love this setup, there so much adjustable. The Koni two way are a great match with the Eibach springs... what spring rate are you going to use?
I went on a short one day rally last month and for kicks I raised my car up 1 “ just to see how much I could push the Coupe into the tight corners. I must say , it ran better than ever. My wife had no complaints all day.
I am going to set up an a appointment with GC to have them corner weight the Coupe, maybe I’ll learn a thing or two while I’m up there. There only a few miles from my place.

Enjoy the setup

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Koni two way are a great match with the Eibach springs... what spring rate are you going to use?

I started with 440# in front and 380# in rear. Again, since I will have batteries in the front and a Tesla unit in the rear those rates are unique to my car. Though I am not very far off. Having weighed the 4 corners before taking the stock car apart the batteries and motor are pretty close to the weight of the engine and the diff/fuel tank. I am just a bit off. Regardless, we are starting with those rates, then we may swap them out to adjust once the car is on the road.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
jet could you post some pics of the tesla setup and stuff
ref post in general does the camber caster vary

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score