Who gets your stuff?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife showed me this cartoon today. Sent a shiver. I mean, many of us must have sheds full of what we rate as good quality car stuff, but really, when we pass, who would really understand what is rare, or valuable, and what to do with it?
8CA1AEB7-0D25-4AD4-BAEC-03BCC0A0A130.png

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife would call @sfdon. Not sure what he would do with a carbureted rust bucket but one never knows. All the BMW contacts in my phone have a BMW suffix.

On a serious note, my home and assets are in a revokable living trust. If you haven’t planned for this stuff, consider that unlike a will, a trust skips probate.

stphers

Reaction score
My 4 kids are lined up to each take one of my cars plus all the parts that are going with that car I have stuff boxed and labeled for which car The only other thing I am going to do is to take pictures of each shelf and give an approximate amount for what that shelf of stuff is worth. At least my kids have a bit of an idea, they have " helped " had to help me move it at least 4 times And the pile is not getting any smaller not sure how that works?

Actually thinking about putting each of the cars in my kids name now so there won't be an issue down the road if something happens Doesn't mean that they will get the cars once finished right away.

Thanks, Rick

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just give your significant other the login credentials of this website, instruct her to ask for help (and who to listen to especially). I'm not sure if we all will be around when it is needed, but it won't hurt to program this route. I am very confident that the majority here is fair, and sharks are easily spotted.

I've written the (current) value on most of the boxes of the parts I have, including a parts description. Enough to Ebay-it-off if needed. I've written them on the bottom however, as there is no need for her to know today what's lying dormant in our little shed.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've written the (current) value on most of the boxes of the parts I have, including a parts description. Enough to Ebay-it-off if needed. I've written them on the bottom however, as there is no need for her to know today what's lying dormant in our little shed.

If my wife knew what that spare set of CSL alloy doors hiding in my garage were worth, she'd put them on ebay right now and buy a new couch! (what's wrong with the one we have now, I say)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recommend the recurring 10 year purge. A combination of sell, donate, and throw out. Therapeutic, sometimes difficult to part with some things, but it simplifies your life. Do I really need to keep worn out removed parts and other things I’ve bought “just in case?” No. Free at last.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've talked with my wife and kids about "my stuff" and my son can handle all the parts. The cars on the other hand are more complicated because I also want them to have a place to park them. My son wants two of my cars, the coupe and the NSX, but where do you park/store them? We're planning on rebuilding a five car garage on our property to house "my stuff". :)

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had hurricane Andrew make this decision for me. Up till then I had been keeping all the used parts along with parts I contemplating restoring in a shed which got blown away.

Along with the wind we had several feet of tidal surge so when I was able to return home after evacuating I recognized pieces of my rear wheel trunk liners in other peoples yards. Most of the heavy parts still in my yard had been under salt water so everything got thrown away.

Now I only store the new pieces that I have been buying as back ups or in anticipation of the next refresh.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recommend the recurring 10 year purge. A combination of sell, donate, and throw out. Therapeutic, sometimes difficult to part with some things, but it simplifies your life. Do I really need to keep worn out removed parts and other things I’ve bought “just in case?” No. Free at last.
I totally agree. It is a great feeling to purge and simplify. Another bonus is that you are not putting the burden on friends and family if you croak and have never done this. One way to force this process is to downsize and move to smaller quarters. Not only car parts, but everything else that you haven't looked at in years gets disposed of one way or another. Check out Marie Kondo for her books and some great tips.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which country is it that has the philosophy to begin clearing stuff once you turn 50 to make it easier on your loved ones? My wife always tells me this, just wish she would follow her own advice.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I come so close so often to doing this....then the item (Could be old shoes) stops just near the door and somehow gets into a new pile.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Which country is it that has the philosophy to begin clearing stuff once you turn 50 to make it easier on your loved ones? My wife always tells me this, just wish she would follow her own advice.
Death cleaning they call it, I believe..

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get rid of everything, including e9 parts (if one hasn’t noticed). I don’t like having extra stuff, and I don’t really have the space. My kids outgrow their clothes every 6 months so I have a regular stream of boxes heading to friends and family. Lots of free giveaways out front or on the neighborhood facebook group.

With that said I’m in the process of adding 1,300sf and a third bay to my house. :D

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have several 'collections' - each with its own set of challenges for my wife (or whoever would survive me).
With a 3,600sf shop - I have plenty of room to cause trouble... lol

Camera and Stereo (substantial collection - some of it fairly valuable now, not when I got them)
For these items - We have friend who is local and and can help with eBay or garage sales.

Mustang, tools and spare parts - That same local friend....
E38, E23 and E9 - My wife would call SFDon... or that same local friend who has a 2002 and been into BMW's as long as I.
911 - Another local fella that specializes in these cars (actually, that is the fella I bought it from)

I have a list of names and numbers for her to call should it be needed.
She and I actually were just talking about this last night... (I hope this isn't an omen - lol)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, my mom began dividing up the family stuff and giving stuff away in anticipation of the end of her life when she was in her early 60s. She turned 92 earlier this month.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed, Katrina set me on the same path.

I had hurricane Andrew make this decision for me. Up till then I had been keeping all the used parts along with parts I contemplating restoring in a shed which got blown away.

Along with the wind we had several feet of tidal surge so when I was able to return home after evacuating I recognized pieces of my rear wheel trunk liners in other peoples yards. Most of the heavy parts still in my yard had been under salt water so everything got thrown away.

Now I only store the new pieces that I have been buying as back ups or in anticipation of the next refresh.