Who gets your stuff?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recommend the recurring 10 year purge. A combination of sell, donate, and throw out. Therapeutic, sometimes difficult to part with some things, but it simplifies your life. Do I really need to keep worn out removed parts and other things I’ve bought “just in case?” No. Free at last.
Indeed. Moving is a good way to purge. My house in under contract, we will be moving to our NJ beach house (downsizing from four to two car garage) in January for a year or so then off to Sonoma. So I'm letting go of a lot stuff that was part of a 20 year accumulation. Finally tossed the 74 big bumpers from my e3 that were laying around for a few years. It actually felt good. I need to prepare detailed instructions for my kids for when the time comes. Their interest in our hobby leaves a lot to be desired. But I'm planning to stick around for a while.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
when i am gone, i will be gone, no worries
p.s. they really have a list of things to do including buying two dogs (i dislike pets at home) and selling the car, and for an inexplicable reason using the money to travel to hawaii,...but again, none of my business, i will be happily gone

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If I'm terminally ill, I'll make sure to organize my thousands of car parts so which parts go where with what car.

If I die suddenly, then my wife said she's going to contact my friends and give it all away to them. SCREW THAT!

I need to get my projects complete before I die!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, a dilemma for many of us for sure.
I have two sons. One likes cars, the other not so much.
The son that likes cars, his son is a sports kid and could care less.
The other son that doesn't care has a son that may be the car guy in the family.
Also two grand daughters in there, who knows maybe they will surprise me.
There's always donating them to a cause?
I know someone who is donating a car or two to the BMWCCA Foundation.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have several 'collections' - each with its own set of challenges for my wife (or whoever would survive me).
With a 3,600sf shop - I have plenty of room to cause trouble... lol

Camera and Stereo (substantial collection - some of it fairly valuable now, not when I got them)
For these items - We have friend who is local and and can help with eBay or garage sales.

Mustang, tools and spare parts - That same local friend....
E38, E23 and E9 - My wife would call SFDon... or that same local friend who has a 2002 and been into BMW's as long as I.
911 - Another local fella that specializes in these cars (actually, that is the fella I bought it from)

I have a list of names and numbers for her to call should it be needed.
She and I actually were just talking about this last night... (I hope this isn't an omen - lol)
Stereo should be easy to get rid of via DIYAudio, something like 44,000 members there. MY stereo will blow up when someone who doesn't know the correct sequence tries to turn it on...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At 79, in good health(singles tennis, exercise, ect)and of sound mind and body(at least I think so) I decided it was time to pass my coupe on to a younger, capable steward. It needed some work(full reveal to the new owner) that I really did not want to get into. And so it recently took a road trip in an enclosed carrier to Chicago). Not a moment of regret or remorse. In Feb. I bought JMinNJ's cherry, original '76 2002, automatic, ac. Now we both can drive a real car that we actually drive, not aim.

And yes, I am here every day cheering and admiring from the sidelines.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought my original carb setup from Steve Bingham. When I asked him why he was selling, he replied: "I have lung cancer, and I think a fuel injected car will be easier for my wife to use when I am gone." He didn't get to finish the fuel injection conversion; several of the Sharkfest guys jumped in to finish the car and after a brief time she sold it.

I think that happy ending arose because Bingham was fairly active with the Sharkfest guys, and because he had some time to communicate the fact that he was coming to the end of his road.

I have often thought it would be a wonderful thing if we could find a way to help families who inherit coupes and piles of coupe parts when a coupe owner dies. It would be good for the families, and good for our little corner of the car world. And if such a mechanism existed, it would help folks unsure where their cars are going in the future to make a plan.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought my original carb setup from Steve Bingham. When I asked him why he was selling, he replied: "I have lung cancer, and I think a fuel injected car will be easier for my wife to use when I am gone." He didn't get to finish the fuel injection conversion; several of the Sharkfest guys jumped in to finish the car and after a brief time she sold it.

I think that happy ending arose because Bingham was fairly active with the Sharkfest guys, and because he had some time to communicate the fact that he was coming to the end of his road.

I have often thought it would be a wonderful thing if we could find a way to help families who inherit coupes and piles of coupe parts when a coupe owner dies. It would be good for the families, and good for our little corner of the car world. And if such a mechanism existed, it would help folks unsure where their cars are going in the future to make a plan.
Yes, exactly! There have been many fine suggestions in this thread. I like Erik's. And I will be providing login instructions to this site as he has proposed. This will be one huge step forward for anyone left trying to do the best job of dealing with the mystery of an old BMW and piles of parts.

dbower

Reaction score
Many years ago, a friend died in a tragic industrial accident. He was 75% through reassembling his restored early 911. His parents knew zip about Porsches but knew he loved that car. It was a privilege to finish the car for them. They still have it, undriven for the last 40 years. As we can all attest, some cars carry special meanings.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last month, i was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, with that news, our 1973 E9, is being prepped for sale. It takes a selected buyer seeing the value of an E9, so best get it out there now. Not so with our 1970 MB W113 (280SL). They can hold on to it and sell without any issues. Now, if by chance, I find a level of productive life, we are buying another Porsche 911 GT3.
There is upside all over that, fun to drive and as do all Porsche GT cars, a nice rise of value. Easy to sell too!
Having my last check bounce, is not an option. Why its important having all our ducks in order as we chart our path. Will, Trust and good counsel will protect my family.

I am preparing a post to this group about our 3.0CS, and its tales over the last 47 years.

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stereo should be easy to get rid of via DIYAudio, something like 44,000 members there. MY stereo will blow up when someone who doesn't know the correct sequence tries to turn it on...

That is the point though - these items need to be presented properly... not just through over the fence and listed for sale.
And speaking of the stereo stuff - I am in process of finishing out my shop (which will have three stereo systems BTW) and had to move it all tonight from one set of shelves to another.
Geezzee - I forgot how MUCH *&%^&^% I have... LOL. Worked two hours on that with help and still didn't finish.
Will be thinning down this stuff pretty soon - as soon as I get those systems figured out.
(For anyone local to Seattle - if you have any interest in this kind of activity - drop me a line... I have many items that will need to find a good home)

KH