Window Motor

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My `73 has the later style window motors but the passenger side quit working and I had a spare e28 motor and wanted to replace the door brake anyway so I tore into it. Took 2 hours including door brake replacement.

The hardest part is removing the regulator. I started with window in full up position, removed three bolts holding regulator to door. I held door glass so it wouldn't fall, lowered it just a bit, and slipped the arm out of the door glass bracket. I then put a clamp on window rail to hold glass up.

Next, the regulator won't come out if motor is attached. I used a ratcheting box end wrench to remove three bolts and then slid regulator out followed by the motor. Install is the reverse, I set the motor inside the door, attached regulator arm to window glass, slipped regulator back in place and then it gets tricky. You need to hold the motor so you can start one bolt through regulator. You don't have much room and the gear needs to match as well before tightening the three bolts or you're screwed. Also, the e28 motor has one mounting hole that requires a shorter bolt or it will interfere with the motor, it is the uppermost bolt (yellow), see pics. Old motor is on work bench.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 406

FastCougar

Reaction score
Old post resurrection I know, but what clips are the new clips .. the green guys? I think I saw them on Rogers for $0.49/each. Do you happen to know where I can find the little white plastic tubes that go into the sheet metal holes inside the door that these slide into?

loloe13

Reaction score
try item:51131400031

http://www.wallothnesch.com/karosserieanbauteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-51-30.html

I got them a while back, but I do agree with Chris, with the better/newer type door clips, you may not really need those inner tubes, kind of make it harder to mount but maybe easier to unmount I guess.

Gavin

Old post resurrection I know, but what clips are the new clips .. the green guys? I think I saw them on Rogers for $0.49/each. Do you happen to know where I can find the little white plastic tubes that go into the sheet metal holes inside the door that these slide into?

Bwana

Reaction score
Looks like they may work.

I bought mine from the dealer, $15 for 20 or so. They are shaped like the white ones pictured above but are green. They work really well without the tubes

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im currently doing a motor replacement. I followed Chris' notes below. I at the point where the 3 - 10mm long bolts are removed that hold the motor to the regulator. But the motor does not want to come off of the regulator. Did I miss a bolt or it it just stuck with 40+ years of gunk? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to break anything.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
door stops

Chris,
Did you use the Mercedes door stops? I did one side and although it works, the fit is not OEM. I'm pretty sure I got the same door stop that has been referenced in this forum (it's the one that comes with an "enclosure" for the stop that fits inside the door.
The "enclosure" isn't used, but the mounting flange of the door stop and the body are different enough that it didn't quite fit right and interferes slightly with the inside door beam. I wonder if they would fit an earlier E9 better.

John

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Should the motor come off easily after you pull the 3 - 10mm bolts out? Or have I missed something?

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still no luck getting it off. Seems like its lock into place and not budging. I really do not want to put the frame out. ugh.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you talking about the gearbox or the actual motor? The gearbox is under tension from the spring. Doesn't the motor have 4 bolts?

Still no luck getting it off. Seems like its lock into place and not budging. I really do not want to put the frame out. ugh.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It has been a while but I recall removing the entire regulator and then carefully removing the motor/gearbox as the regulator spring has lots of energy accumulated in it....
Is it possible the coupling to the gearbox is preventing the motor removal? I recall a rubbery type of coupling.

In general it is best to remove the entire regulator to clean the channels and so on. Is the motor just dead?

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
The piece that I'm trying to remove is illustrated in image IMG_1034.jpg of Chris' first posting.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have the later motor like mine, no separate transmission. I may have taken it out with the regulator attached but I put it in last after regulator was in. You can undo bracket on glass first to get it out of the door, I held glass up with a clamp.

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im going to give it another try before I pull the window frame. I guess it just might take some jocking around to get past the window frame post and the inside of the door.