Wiper Alternatives

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've done some searching on the forums but I can't seem to find any discussions related to alternative wiper solutions. Here's where I'm at:

1. I'm missing the passenger wiper.
2. The driver wiper is not in great shape.
3. Spindles on the armature don't look super good.
4. Tines in the driver wiper don't look great.
5. Retainer clip looks pretty worn.
6. Passenger wiper is unobtanium, probably due to widespread #5.

So, instead of searching for months for a wiper, just to see it tear off while I'm on the freeway, I was wondering if anyone has researched or implemented an alternative installation?

I was thinking about machining in some new spindles on the armature that attach to a more available wiper arm? Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks!

E

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Evan,

i remember reading in a post a while back that somebody had wiper arms that were put on with a locking nut, like the e30's have (and i presume the e28).

you might try rounding up some e12 / e23 / e30 / e28 spindles in pullapart yards ... or start by looking thru realoem.com and see which cars have which type of configuration. the challenge will be finding a wiper arm that will be the right length, etc.

in regard to the existing spindles and the cap that fits on top - those are often loose, but can be secured with loctite sleeve retainer fluid.

scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Buy 74 e9 spindles, wipers bolt on with a nut, wipers will be black and only driver side available but better than nothing.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Move to Arizona.
or stay in georgia ... we ALL know better than to drive our coupes in the rain. (thank you for the advice Murray).

Evan, just treat the windshield with rainex just in case. have you checked with bobby thrash to see if he has any wipers (not sure if Bdigel took them off of the race car or not). another option is to do a search for whalem6 and send him a PM or email