WTB: Bavaria / E3 Rear Windshield Seal / Gasket

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know it's a mile long long shot but looking for a rear windshield seal for my '73 Bavaria. I'd rather not pay a thousand bucks for the one on ebay.
Part# 51311800471.
I need to get started on a full repaint and want to make sure I'll be able to reinstall the rear window.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Still looking...
Maybe someone's reassessed their hoard and wants to sell?

carl westcott

Reaction score
I know it's a mile long long shot but looking for a rear windshield seal for my '73 Bavaria. I'd rather not pay a thousand bucks for the one on ebay.
Part# 51311800471.
I need to get started on a full repaint and want to make sure I'll be able to reinstall the rear window.
me too, any possibility of a group order for a custom build?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the profile so unique not to be selected from other cars (even not BMW)?

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is the profile so unique not to be selected from other cars (even not BMW)?
I made my rear windshield gasket out of the front windshield gasket. It took some doing, but it went in fine. It’s exactly the same profile just bigger and the corners are rounded on the front as opposed to squared in the back. 3M instant sealer works great and no way you can pull it apart.
I would say that getting a 90° corner at the bottom of the rear gasket was the most difficult part. A bit time to consuming as well. But there is no alternative, and mine was trashed.

carl westcott

Reaction score
I made my rear windshield gasket out of the front windshield gasket. It took some doing, but it went in fine. It’s exactly the same profile just bigger and the corners are rounded on the front as opposed to squared in the back. 3M instant sealer works great and no way you can pull it apart.
I would say that getting a 90° corner at the bottom of the rear gasket was the most difficult part. A bit time to consuming as well. But there is no alternative, and mine was trashed.
I am an extra front, where and how did you cut it? I just tried to put the gasket on the widow, It seems like top to bottom (the short sides of the rectangle ) it fits, the long sides of the rectangle are too long, cut in the middle and pull together then contact cement?

carl westcott

Reaction score
I am an extra front, where and how did you cut it? I just tried to put the gasket on the widow, It seems like top to bottom (the short sides of the rectangle ) it fits, the long sides of the rectangle are too long, cut in the middle and pull together then contact cement?
i have an extra front gasket so...

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was NOT easy! Took me many hours with lots of little cut and splices. What you don't want to do is cut it too short. The 495 3m instant cement can stick two pieces together almost without detection if the pieces are cut squarely.
The top is relatively straight forward. I fitted the top corners and worked from there.
It is making the bottom corners that will be the challenge. You have to create 90 degree bends from curved pieces. Having the old rear gasquet helps define what you need to accomplish. also you can experiment with it.
.I would insure you have the corners to your satisfaction before cutting the centers to fit.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
But it can be done. I wasn’t terribly concerned about leaking because not likely to see much rain. Also enough windshield adhesive should do the trick.
7C1996FD-38E8-4C43-AB17-2C1D8B548E7E.jpeg
54AF35E1-533E-4B1D-B3C2-743E7393E2FA.jpeg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As an afterthought, and probably needless to say, you have to be very careful with the rear window because I’m sure they’re not easy to come by.