WTB chrome vents for hood & fender

nate_williams

Reaction score
The left grill remains NLA with no option for backorder. I rang my local dealer and got the news. Thanks for reminding me to stay on top of this trim piece. I'll find one no matter how late into the restoration,

Nate

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
As in you called or it’s just on their website? :cool:

I did not call ECS. I did call Maximillian and they said both left/right black fender grilles are available. Both left/right chrome is back-ordered with no timeline for availability (so not NLA per se).

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I realise that this is restoration more than parts, so sorry, but it seemed to flow.
Can anyone tell me how the side vent grills are attached please?
Thanks
Charles

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The posts of the grille go through the fender and are held on from behind, originally probably with a deadly speed nut. I have mine held on by silicon vacuum tube, works great and removable if needed.

I realise that this is restoration more than parts, so sorry, but it seemed to flow.
Thanks
Charles

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's a great idea Steve. i think i will give this a try instead of the speed nuts i have from BMW

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
[QUOTE=

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-8_22-58-51.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-8_22-58-51.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks
Charles

Please refer to this post:

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/proper-way-to-mount-fender-grills.11981/#post-115456

DO NOT USE
(WallothNesch 51131400012). I used one on my original ones with the dual satin /chrome edge finish and when I tried to remove them it broke off one of my four posts. I was very upset four years ago and still am.

USE VACUUM TUBING. It is secure and can be removed if desired without breaking the posts.

From that post, SREAMS mentioned he mounted it from the outside to space it away from the sheetmetal. I mounted mine from the inside. I think as long as you have the black sticker underneath, scuffing of the paint at contact points would be avoided. It would also hide the paint color when viewing the grilles from a side profile and give the illusion it is a functional grille.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hood grilles - i just weighed a new one and it is substantially lighter than older ones
new - 5.375 oz
old - 9.0 oz

does this mean the older one is metal? no idea i haven't decided to pull the chrome off of it. the older ones came off of my 2800cs

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
2800 cs have been confirmed before on the forum to be metal. So it seems plausible, although ld expect potmetal to be 3 times the mass of the plastic one. The chrome layer wouldn't add that much weight on the plastic as it's only very thin.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the new one that i weighed is a new chrome hood grille (i have a full set that is going on my coupe). i will check my new vs. old fender grilles.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
GeNUINE BMW NOS DRIVER SIDE HOOD GRILLE 51 13 1 827 281

This is the plastic "chrome" version with glossy finish on the outer thin edges and a satin matte finish on the wider flat surfaces.

There is another plastic “chrome” version that is glossy throughout. This is not that version.

Note this one has a very small imperfection on the 4th short tooth.

$90 plus shipping

Attachments

• 7E3EEDB4-E99D-4AB3-B6F9-48FFAA1E841E.jpeg
    7E3EEDB4-E99D-4AB3-B6F9-48FFAA1E841E.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 5134C4CF-E760-4B24-B105-0526DEBE3EEC.jpeg
    5134C4CF-E760-4B24-B105-0526DEBE3EEC.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 105
  • 83DD7A4D-C8FC-4B77-839A-D51F30D9ED56.jpeg
    83DD7A4D-C8FC-4B77-839A-D51F30D9ED56.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott

I feel a little like a drug dealer but I put away my scale when I was moving and have no idea where it is. I am curious though as well.

I will ask Gerhard Reiser, the host of the Deutsche E9 Forum, from whom I bought the grille.

When I asked him about the imperfection, his response was:

“The parts are all NOS, Quality from 1968. The sticker part number was orange, very old parts. It was really, that the quality 50 Years later in 2018 was better. 50 Years ago never look so exactly as the people which restore now. I know about this but can’t do NOS in better quality.”

Bottom line from my imterpretation of Gerhard’s comment is that manufacturing processes back in the late 60 and early 70s were not as strict on quality control measures and small imperfections were commonly introduced into the assembled cars that have become what we now observe as patina in these UNRESTORED cars.”

More likely than not, IF someone had a small imperfection like the one pictured, it probably is the one that got broken off over a 40-50 year time horizon.

Last edited: