WTB-gauge cluster

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
I am beginning to collect parts for a '73 E3 restoration. I plan to swap in a 5 spd. So I would also like to swap in the correct gauge cluster. Does anyone have a gauge cluster from a manual tranny car for sale?

Regards
Bill P.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Just the gauge cluster thanks. I have included a picture for reference.

Regards
Bill P.

Attachments

• Snip20190912_1.png
    Snip20190912_1.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 149

lloyd

Reaction score
Hi there
I am beginning to collect parts for a '73 E3 restoration. I plan to swap in a 5 spd. So I would also like to swap in the correct gauge cluster. Does anyone have a gauge cluster from a manual tranny car for sale?

Regards
Bill P.
Bear in mind that while the E3 gauge set may fit, not all speedometers/odometers will read the same - unless your rear axle ratio matches the replacement gauge. 3.64/1 is typical, but not necessarily. https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/what-differential-gear-ratio-to-what-speedo.8252/ Also, some tachometers were marked with different "red lines (areas)."

Not to dissuade you, but if you are only concerned about concealing the gear indicator lights, those are plastic "lenses" that fit in the bottom six squares and they were listed as separate parts per the catalog (See: "7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1" below). Although they the lens may not be available, it would seem to be fairly easy to replicate, or obscure, with flat black paint or some suitable matte cover.

diag_hzn.png

s-l1000.jpg

D3.jpg

D5.jpg

bmw-2800-e3-20-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Lloyd

That is a great suggestion!! Thank you! Honestly, I did not notice that the automatic selection indicator lights could be blackened out; I thought the indicator lights for manual cars were extended down but that is not the case. I like suggestions like this; makes total sense and saves $ too!

Kindest regards,
Bill P.