WTB hub for alpina 3 spoke wheel

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I need a hub for my alpina steering wheel. I don’t think it fits on the CSL hub. Or am I wrong?

Attachments

• 39DBD3D3-412F-4D22-A4C3-726BB0FB0CC5.jpeg
    39DBD3D3-412F-4D22-A4C3-726BB0FB0CC5.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Man what is with this steering wheel fever? :D I love it!

That looks like a momo wheel on a momo hub

Correct. The wheel pictured is a 380mm Alpina, based on a momo Prototipo. It came on factory carbureted CSL’s before the CSL Petri arrived. The hub is Momo #152 and it is about 92mm long. Keshav and I have been researching extensively over the last year or so. Several forum members have been kind enough to take measurements for me so that I could confirm the size. Keshav has been confirming with the great minds in Germany. In fact he just pulled the trigger on one we found this week

I know of another but a member is in line to get it. I will check with him in the morning to see if he is going through with it. Expect to pay between $100 and $200 for one.

BTW - They really have nothing in common with CSL hubs, which are infinitely more rare.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, don't you have an Alpina wheel? No clue what type of hub it takes

Yeah I have the one pictured, but not nearly as nice. It is in Germany at the moment with a member, en route to Easternmost Europe to get recovered.

All momo hubs fit momo wheels. You could put a honda hub on an alpina. The only thing that changes is the splined area, horn contact, length, diameter, etc.

Here are the three common hubs. The big one is a #153. The small one is #152. The accordian one you can buy new. It is C157. Note that the accordian one is sitting on top of a roll of tape. That id because the signal cancellation lever is integrated into the hub, so it won’t sit flat on a bench.

9BE156C2-EB53-4783-9047-C45D73D7B4EB.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes that one is interesting. It's in our neck of the woods. I actually emailed Alpina last week to see if it was legit, but everyone is on vacation. Anyway I assume it is a custom piece, and my thinking is this. It is milled from an existing cast momo 163 hub. The sides were drilled out (you can see the drill marks inside) and those cylinders were welded in place. Alpina didn't really have the technology to mill a detailed logo like that back in the late 70's when solid hubs were still in use. This was likely done with a CNC machine. Alpina switched to collapsible hubs in the early 80's. You could argue that it was for a race car, but why go through all that trouble for a racing hub. I've seen several Alpina cars in the flesh and I'm an obvious internet junky> I've never seen such a hub.

With that said it is still cool, albeit a bit over the top. For $300 it could be worth it as a fun one-off. I would want to anodize it black though.

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Here are the three common hubs. The big one is a #153. The small one is #152. The accordian one you can buy new. It is C157. Note that the accordian one is sitting on top of a roll of tape. That id because the signal cancellation lever is integrated into the hub, so it won’t sit flat on a bench.

View attachment 38763

Not quite sure about that Mark, I have a 153 and 152 below is a picture of both side by side. The 152 on the right is longer than the 153 hub on the left. Kind of the opposite of the Petri hubs length wise.

FC88FE52-E5CD-4388-BE48-1DFFF2118434.jpeg

F3F42948-F6B3-4789-8EB8-47CD92842231.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John,

I appreciate your expertise on this stuff. Feel free to add to this thread, correct any of my findings, etc. One thing I know for certain is that there are variants. It is very possible that my big hub is a 156. The last digit was difficult to make out but, but it sure as heck looked like a 3. I have seen about 4 different versions of the 153 hub. The one like yours, the one like mine (which had a steel collar), and one like mine with an aluminum collar. Then there is the 156 which looks nearly identical to mine with an aluminum collar

Momo 156 - aluminum collar.
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/189101-momo-solid-hub-sold/
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/t...mounts-steering-wheel-e30-m3-skate-deck-more/

Momo 153 - upper portion looks just like yours
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/famous-light-weight-momo-from-an-e9-csl.25256/

Momo 153 or 156 with steel collar:
My ad: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/210444-fs-restored-370mm-vintage-momo-prototipo/
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/175942-early-momo-hub-and-new-door-handle/

My 152 has an unmistakeable 152 stamp on the top. It also has two threaded adapter holes that your 152 does not have, but I know you have had or do have a 152 with such adapter holes.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Had I known the old stepped solid hub (152/3?) that came with my wheel was E9 compatible, I certainly would have kept it. Oh well, made an 2002 guy happy.

Running an accordian style currently. Maybe i switch it someday.

Happy hunting!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

krauser

Reaction score
A few years back, one of the members' from the Pelican Parts 911 forum came up with this solution for deleting the rubber accordion. Called it a "cloaking device". Pelican Parts is stocking in their inventory.
Here is the part # PEL-HUBCOVER-E
regards, krauser

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apologies to the OP for further hijacking the thread, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a similar photo to Markos comparing the hubs. For the record, my (presumed) 152 doesn't have any stampings, the middle one is 156 and the right is 157. There are slight variations to their lengths. Relevant to ccr2002's quest: these will all work with the Prototipo S-based Alpina wheel that you have pictured because the wheel has a slight dish. I have the flat Alpina wheel that needs a small spacer that you can see as a slightly larger diameter step between the wheel and hub in the second photo. The column stalks would be annoyingly close to the back of the steering wheel without the spacer. I have been looking for a longer version of the 152....
DSCN2852.JPG
DSCN2854.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m working with the OP on a hub I found so lets’s keep this going!

Regarding my 153 cs 156 mystery, this one (same as my perceived 153) is clearly stamped 155. Belongs to a member. The only difference between his and mine is that mine had a plunger and his had a ring. This is the half aluminum half steel version. The steel base is screwed onto the aluminum boss.

6C6707B1-B493-46BD-8554-2306FF129884.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes that one is interesting. It's in our neck of the woods. I actually emailed Alpina last week to see if it was legit, but everyone is on vacation. Anyway I assume it is a custom piece, and my thinking is this. It is milled from an existing cast momo 163 hub. The sides were drilled out (you can see the drill marks inside) and those cylinders were welded in place. Alpina didn't really have the technology to mill a detailed logo like that back in the late 70's when solid hubs were still in use. This was likely done with a CNC machine. Alpina switched to collapsible hubs in the early 80's. You could argue that it was for a race car, but why go through all that trouble for a racing hub. I've seen several Alpina cars in the flesh and I'm an obvious internet junky> I've never seen such a hub.

With that said it is still cool, albeit a bit over the top. For $300 it could be worth it as a fun one-off. I would want to anodize it black though.

I heard back from Christopher at Alpina:

Dear Markos,

Many thanks for your mail.
This is nothing from us. Someone has made this on his own.

Hope this will help.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Christopher M. Kratzer

Edit: Just an update on this, I stumbled across another one of these over the top "racing hubs". They are definitely custom made:

image1450213259.jpg

Last edited: