WTB: M30B34

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
with all due respect, that's 30 hp for a starting point. and don't forget that 30 hp is more than 15% increase ... and i don't think the torque goes away with more compression. if somebody wants to make all of the power at the top end, they will go to a s38.

I hear what you are saying but all I wanted to say is that unless you are talking about a full blown turbo M30 for a street racer, all these get along relatively nicely. I still question why I want to swap out my carburetted stock motor when it is not a slow car. Nor will it be much faster with either the B32 or the B34 I have available to put in and to me, these E9s are not about speed. They are an old cruiser and I mean that in the best way :) If I want to smoke people, I will reach for another weapon of choice hehehe as the E9 will never be the one to leave everyone behind at the lights. However, it will likely get the most looks :D

Oh PS: Without Cats, won't the US B34 make a bit more than the 182HP??

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
to be honest, i have a us b34 without cats ... boring. i don't need another speed demon, and don't want an e9 of that type. i drive a 997 c2 - 911s everyday ... its very quick and i can't drive it at 10/10ths, but it will do everything and more that i need. think about the difference between a 2.9L cayman or a 3.4L cayman s ... if you got the base cayman and find yourself winding it out more to get the performance that you want / need ... you bought the wrong car as you will probably wear it out quicker.

years ago i had a 2002 with a high compression / high overlap cam that made a lot of power the faster it turned ... and it never quit until its 7000 rpm redline ... idled like a muscle car. it was quick in a straight line and carved turns like it was on rails. it was way too tweaked to be civilized on the road ... but it would keep up with anything in the twisties. what it missed was low end torque. it had 1.625" stahl headers and a 2" exhaust and combined with the schrick 316 + dual 45 dcoes and 10.5:1 custom pistons and a lot of head work (korman can build a stout engine) - had dyno runs of just under 190 hp at crank.

that being said ... i don't want that in a coupe. i want to carve turns and power through them. i want reliable power with something in reserve when i need it. i want what the car was conceived to be, in slightly more modern terms - a little better suspension, a little better brakes, and a little more power. the euro b34 with a schrick 284 and motronic 1.3 efi will be very reliable and efficient ... with 240 hp +/- for a very reasonable price. your mileage / wishes / dreams may vary

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
8:1 compression and a 260 cam is like kissing your sister.

The 3.0 csi had more hp than a 535i in the USA. By far.
The 745i in Europe had 70hp more than our 735i.
Managed 144mph in 3rd gear.

Americans got the crap compression, the crap cams and the 55 mark on the speedo.

The ultimate driving machine "light"

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
8:1 compression and a 260 cam is like kissing your sister.

The 3.0 csi had more hp than a 535i in the USA. By far.
The 745i in Europe had 70hp more than our 735i.
Managed 144mph in 3rd gear.

Americans got the crap compression, the crap cams and the 55 mark on the speedo.

The ultimate driving machine "light"
yep, what he said ... so eloquent

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have just bought a 635csi and it is not discernably slower than what I remember my father's 635csi to have been when he had his in Australia (euro spec).

I'm not saying your fathers 635csi wasn't an euro model, but all the Australian-market cars did have the same US-spec engines as you have, if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not saying your fathers 635csi wasn't an euro model, but all the Australian-market cars did have the same US-spec engines as you have, if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,

My point was more so to say that a difference of 28HP will not suddenly make our E9s race cars. Australia is an interesting marketing and would typically receive Euro spec cars except in the mid-80s when most cars had catalysts. You are likely correctly that those motors were closer to US spec. In the day out of curiosity we test drove one to compare to my father's and with auto and catalyst motor was a different animal. For the record I may have slightly exaggerated about the E24 differences because while the one I just bought is spirited enough for what I want now, I suspect it won't be as fast as my father's... That was a B7 Alpina that we privately imported.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
huge difference ... a B7 alpina and a stock e24. now a look at it a different way ... everybody that doesn't want 28 more HP (for whatever reason) please speak up. that's kind of like saying you wouldn't want a couple of more inches somewhere else ... i keep going back to Don's comment - like kissing your sister ...

jamesw

Reaction score
Thanks for the discourse. But to get back on topic, I talked to Don but he doesn't have anything available right now. So I'm still looking for an M30B35 short block that I can use in my 2800 - with Webers, rotary compressor AC conversion, and 123tune distributor.

Cheers
James

jamesw

Reaction score
Tempting! Thanks Scott. But for that budget I would have to strongly consider tweaking the engine I already have in my car. I'm guessing to buy that M90, ship it, have it rebuilt and tweaked to Don and I's specs, then shipped to TX I'd be at $3,500 or so. I could do a lot with the 633csi engine I have in my car now for that budget.

Cheers
James

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Buy the 1988 735i engine (m30b35)
Or buy an 88-89 635i engine (m30b35)

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
to be honest, i have a us b34 without cats ... boring. i don't need another speed demon, and don't want an e9 of that type. i drive a 997 c2 - 911s everyday ... its very quick and i can't drive it at 10/10ths, but it will do everything and more that i need. think about the difference between a 2.9L cayman or a 3.4L cayman s ... if you got the base cayman and find yourself winding it out more to get the performance that you want / need ... you bought the wrong car as you will probably wear it out quicker.

years ago i had a 2002 with a high compression / high overlap cam that made a lot of power the faster it turned ... and it never quit until its 7000 rpm redline ... idled like a muscle car. it was quick in a straight line and carved turns like it was on rails. it was way too tweaked to be civilized on the road ... but it would keep up with anything in the twisties. what it missed was low end torque. it had 1.625" stahl headers and a 2" exhaust and combined with the schrick 316 + dual 45 dcoes and 10.5:1 custom pistons and a lot of head work (korman can build a stout engine) - had dyno runs of just under 190 hp at crank.

that being said ... i don't want that in a coupe. i want to carve turns and power through them. i want reliable power with something in reserve when i need it. i want what the car was conceived to be, in slightly more modern terms - a little better suspension, a little better brakes, and a little more power. the euro b34 with a schrick 284 and motronic 1.3 efi will be very reliable and efficient ... with 240 hp +/- for a very reasonable price. your mileage / wishes / dreams may vary

This is some interesting discourse and relevant to me also and hope this is not seen as a hijack of the thread and hopefully relevant to James and others reading this thread. I take on board the feedback and relevant to the reply above from rsporsche I am primarily looking for reliable running, fuel efficiency and power in that order for my E9. I already have reliability with the twin weber 3.0 I have in my 2800cs now, but geez does it go through gas! Per this thread I do have the US B34 and I know it to be a strong motor. I kept it to keep my options open and wanted something as close to period to go into my E9. For that reason I did not think I should go to a B35 whose airbox is starting to look too modern in my opinion. Of course I could keep the original airbox I guess.

So here is my question to clearly people with more experience than I... @rsporsche @sfdon I have both these available to me: M30B34 with 170psi consistent compression and M30B32 with 182psi consistent compression. I removed both carefully so have everything to complete a very nice transplant. I do have the option of transferring a Callaway Turbo to the B32 but am less committed to that as I am not building this car for speed. I really was just going to go the turbo route for wow factor BUT dislike how that starts to clutter the engine bay. I could also go the route of M90 or B35 because have not started my build yet so now is the time to decide. So here come the questions:
- Which of the above would be the best basis for a build? (each to their own I know, but I am curious)
- What is the biggest benefit of going Motronic? (My father's Alpina was pre-motronic and was a silky smooth motor and I liked that it is easy to adjust/optimize timing if I were to change cams etc).
- If I go Motronic, there is word of the Motoronic 1.3. Is that was came with only the B35 and what is the benefit there?
Thank-you and hope this insight helps others.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The b34 is choked with carbon or worn out....
Who knows?
There is no b34 with 170 compression

Three choices..
M90
M30b34 euro
M30 b35

Motronic 1.3 is adaptive
you want it

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
None of the 3 engines you have available is desirable.
Too small
Too low compression

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
The b34 is choked with carbon or worn out....
Who knows?
There is no b34 with 170 compression

Three choices..
M90
M30b34 euro
M30 b35

Motronic 1.3 is adaptive
you want it

I like the idea of the adaptive programming. That is a good point, thank-you! Incidently, why do you say there is no B34 with 170 compression? The car had under 100k miles. I remember my father's Euro Alpina in Australia had about 200psi so the readings of 165-170 seemed fair. Also speaking lower compression, that affords the ability to add the turbo but does not get a mention by you. What do you see as the drawbacks? Again, just asking before I start sinking money into the motor :)

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a B35 available from a Japanese-spec '92 535i. It runs, but the car has a bad automatic transmission. It hasn't yet been removed from the car either. The car has 240k kms (about 150k miles).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Neither an 8:1 nor a 10:1 engine will have 170psi across the board.
Only a 9:1 has that number.
There are no 9:1 b34 engines.
You want a turbo engine?
Buy one don't build one.

jamesw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm still looking for an M30B35 - have any popped up lately or do any of y'all have one for sale?

Thanks
James