year foodies…

@bmw2800cs

Little harvest...

20240829_162541.jpg

We finished the bottle, it went great with the Guindillas. I'll be adding it to one of our Goto wines.

it is my favourite too, but there is also a couple one I like more, good ones

ameztoy and hika make good ones from hondarribi zuri grapes, i was yesterday driving the coupe through those wineyards in Getaria, and Elkano, home town of the basque sailor who was first to circumnavigate the world ( i commented this before, Magellan was not, he died in the Philippines half way of that trip )

txakoli must be served very cold, in short quantity and thrown from more than 70cm up bottle to create bubbles, to avoid mistakes we use a little device that helps aiming at the glass

All around the world are good wines, Chile, Napa, Australia, Riesling, Chablis,… have excellent whites…for sure you will know more that I do.

it is my favourite too, but there is also a couple one I like more, good ones

ameztoy and hika make good ones from hondarribi zuri grapes, i was yesterday driving the coupe through those wineyards in Getaria, and Elkano, home town of the basque sailor who was first to circumnavigate the world ( i commented this before, Magellan was not, he died in the Philippines half way of that trip )

txakoli must be served very cold, in short quantity and thrown from more than 70cm up bottle to create bubbles, to avoid mistakes we use a little device that helps aiming at the glass

All around the world are good wines, Chile, Napa, Australia, Riesling, Chablis,… have excellent whites…for sure you will know more that I do.
I have one more bottle, I'll read a bit on making bubbles for it and I'll chill it well before we drink it. I also bought two bottles of Amats Getariako Txakolina - any thoughts on this one? Thanks for all this info! I've ordered some Bacalao for Pil Pil. I can't find it with the skin on fresh so I bought skin on salted. Also I haven't found a cast iron pot with a wooden lid. The Bacalao comes in about 2 weeks. I'll soak for 3 days, replacing the water every 3 hours.

Thanks again, all comments are appreciated!

Pil Pil is a tricky one to get just right the fist time. It might be best to do a trial run. The sauce must be the correct consistency, thick like a light gravy and just as the fish is at the right texture. When you get it correct, it's very gratifying.
It has been a few years but this is how I was taught by a chef in San Sebastian(Donostia) below pic. It is one of those recipes you just have to "feel" to get right. The most important thing is to be sure not to get the oil too hot. Be patient, it takes time. The fish is already cured so it's more a matter of warming the fish and browning the skin not frying it. Starting with generous amount of good quality Olive oil (enough to just cover the fish when added later) medium heat, and add sliced garlic, cook until garlic is brown. Remove the garlic as the oil has been infused. Add the room temp, towel dried cod skin side down. After couple minutes start to slowly shake the pan like you are sifting for gold. Keep shaking until your arm falls off and then ask someone else to do it ;) do this until the oil turns opaic or cloudy, and thickens. The idea is, the oil needs to slowly push the liquified fat between the fish and the skin out and into the oil in the pan. Shake too hard and the skin with separate from the fish and will fall apart, not enough it will not thicken before the fish "cooks". You are trying to slowly push the oil into the fat layer in small waves which pushes some fat cells out and those congeal and this causes the oil to thicken and give its flavor. It's a recipe I can't help but wonder, how on earth it fist came about! Again, it has been a while, @deQuincey is that about right?
Ron
1725814302372.jpeg

Pil Pil is a tricky one to get just right the fist time. It might be best to do a trial run. The sauce must be the correct consistency, thick like a light gravy and just as the fish is at the right texture. When you get it correct, it's very gratifying.
It has been a few years but this is how I was taught by a chef in San Sebastian(Donostia) below pic. It is one of those recipes you just have to "feel" to get right. The most important thing is to be sure not to get the oil too hot. Be patient, it takes time. The fish is already cured so it's more a matter of warming the fish and browning the skin not frying it. Starting with generous amount of good quality Olive oil (enough to just cover the fish when added later) medium heat, and add sliced garlic, cook until garlic is brown. Remove the garlic as the oil has been infused. Add the room temp, towel dried cod skin side down. After couple minutes start to slowly shake the pan like you are sifting for gold. Keep shaking until your arm falls off and then ask someone else to do it ;) do this until the oil turns opaic or cloudy, and thickens. The idea is, the oil needs to slowly push the liquified fat between the fish and the skin out and into the oil in the pan. Shake too hard and the skin with separate from the fish and will fall apart, not enough it will not thicken before the fish "cooks". You are trying to slowly push the oil into the fat layer in small waves which pushes some fat cells out and those congeal and this causes the oil to thicken and give its flavor. It's a recipe I can't help but wonder, how on earth it fist came about! Again, it has been a while, @deQuincey is that about right?
Ron
View attachment 189113
Hey Ron, Thanks! I'll use your instructions plus this video - recommended by @deQuincey for instructions if you want have a look and give feedback:

Also, where can I get skin on cod fillets in California? I looked EVERYWHERE - Eatily, Cooks seafood in menlo park, Japanese and Chinese markets ... Do you have a recommendation or somewhere on line to buy it. I bought it from a place in Jamaica. I also need a pot with wooden lid, again Williams Sonoma didn't have it.

It is explained here

20231007_124845.jpg

Salted cod, it has been 4 days, 3 times a day, unsalting, using fresh water and fridge…I keep control of the process using high tech w-pad
20231007_125431.jpg

very low temp cooking…those bubbles coming from fish skin will be the ones to create the sauce, rest is only olive oil and garlic and a red cayena pepper
20231007_125425.jpg

emulsion is taking shape
20231007_130817.jpg

done
20231007_131214.jpg

we will see if it tastes good

I have one more bottle, I'll read a bit on making bubbles for it and I'll chill it well before we drink it. I also bought two bottles of Amats Getariako Txakolina - any thoughts on this one? Thanks for all this info! I've ordered some Bacalao for Pil Pil. I can't find it with the skin on fresh so I bought skin on salted. Also I haven't found a cast iron pot with a wooden lid. The Bacalao comes in about 2 weeks. I'll soak for 3 days, replacing the water every 3 hours.

Thanks again, all comments are appreciated!

there are many makers, i have not tasted this one, hope you enjoy it

salted cod is the traditional one,
to unsalt it, it depends on thickness, 2cm = 3days, 3cm = 4 days, 4cm = 5 days

method better if:

3 changes per day, morning, noon, night, better if you cut it in the pieces that you will use to cook

use fresh water and put it in the fridge

not need to change every three hours

It has been a few years but this is how I was taught by a chef in San Sebastian(Donostia) below pic. It is one of those recipes you just have to "feel" to get right.
you are right,
feel it
i may have some comments

The most important thing is to be sure not to get the oil too hot.
yes, that is right, the cod is already cured, you can eat it now
warm oil, not hot, hot oil will destroy emulsion, you know this

Be patient, it takes time. The fish is already cured so it's more a matter of warming the fish and browning the skin not frying it.
you do not brown the skin

Starting with generous amount of good quality Olive oil (enough to just cover the fish when added later)
well not need to cover the fish, oil is expensive, I put oil as half the thickness of the fish, when you turn the block the other half is cooked

medium heat, and add sliced garlic, cook until garlic is brown. Remove the garlic as the oil has been infused.
i would say keep The garlic and do not try to brown it, oil must be hot to brown the garlic and you do not like hot oil,
the expert in the video infuses the oil the previous day, I do not do it this way

Add the room temp, towel dried cod skin side down.
cod dried, yes,
skin up at the begining, so flesh down for me

4 minutes, then turn and skin down
another 4 minutes

if the emulsion is not good enough, then you can remove the fish (because it is already done, more time will make it too hard), and keep moving the sauce without the fish

finally add the fish back

there is no one only way

After couple minutes start to slowly shake the pan like you are sifting for gold. Keep shaking until your arm falls off and then ask someone else to do it ;) do this until the oil turns opaic or cloudy, and thickens. The idea is, the oil needs to slowly push the liquified fat between the fish and the skin out and into the oil in the pan. Shake too hard and the skin with separate from the fish and will fall apart, not enough it will not thicken before the fish "cooks". You are trying to slowly push the oil into the fat layer in small waves which pushes some fat cells out and those congeal and this causes the oil to thicken and give its flavor. It's a recipe I can't help but wonder, how on earth it fist came about! Again, it has been a while, @deQuincey is that about right?
Ron

you are right,
feel it
i may have some comments

yes, that is right, the cod is already cured, you can eat it now
warm oil, not hot, hot oil will destroy emulsion, you know this

you do not brown the skin

well not need to cover the fish, oil is expensive, I put oil as half the thickness of the fish, when you turn the block the other half is cooked

i would say keep The garlic and do not try to brown it, oil must be hot to brown the garlic and you do not like hot oil,
the expert in the video infuses the oil the previous day, I do not do it this way

cod dried, yes,
skin up at the begining, so flesh down for me

4 minutes, then turn and skin down
another 4 minutes

if the emulsion is not good enough, then you can remove the fish (because it is already done, more time will make it too hard), and keep moving the sauce without the fish

finally add the fish back

there is no one only way
The video says I need a wooden lid. Does it have to be wood?

Back