What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

Dirk

Reaction score
...... so I was not able to ask the big question.
The lights were certified before so why can't you make more?

Gary Beck
Atlanta

Different manufacturer and perhaps even different (updated) regulations which BMW as a company can not circumvent.

It took BMW several years to get replacement taillights for the Z8 with the then fancy, now outdated neon technology but enough discussion about those on the Z8 forum.

I for one am happy that after-market manufacturers are willing to jump in and at $500 for the pair, it may even be worth to get a set and store them away for future use.

Paul02

Reaction score
Stan , I would like to buy a pair of the lights if they come up , I am in London England but if shipping is a problem I have a friend in New York who I can have them shipped to .
Thanks Paul

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just an enthusiast not a business.
I may even be losing money if you factor in all the time I spend...:)

FWIW
Stan and everyone who has helped him will lose money on this work. Just donating a used tail light to the effort is a donation of $100-$200, which several of us have already done.

LaJollla sells repro Italian front turn signal lenses for $178 a pair.
E9 tail light lens sets are 3x more complicated. Isn't that justification for Stan charging at least $350 for a lens set?

John

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW
Stan and everyone who has helped him will lose money on this work. Just donating a used tail light to the effort is a donation of $100-$200, which several of us have already done.

LaJollla sells repro Italian front turn signal lenses for $178 a pair.
E9 tail light lens sets are 3x more complicated. Isn't that justification for Stan charging at least $350 for a lens set?

John
The downside is, at that price i probably won't be able to buy as many as i said i would when the discussion started. i have a bunch of tail lights with one bit of drama or another. some with great chrome / bad lenses, some with bad or not perfect chrome but decent lenses ... and some with all bad. my desire is to end up with a perfect set of red turn signals and a perfect set of amber turn signals. i will gladly sell the remainder to others in need. I am in the group who has spent a little money on the process.

that being said, having seen the very high finish quality of the first set that didn't fit, everybody who is in need should buy if they fit right this time. perhaps a much higher quantity will translate to a lower price to Stan, and a slightly better price to all of us.

BlueBomb

Reaction score
When will they be available?

I would like a set of rear lights as soon as you have them. I am in the starting phase a\of refurbishing my '72 3.0CS and my right lens has a hole in it.
Also, the silvered reflectors inside have badly deteriorated, so I am sure they will not put out a very strong light. any update on when these might be available?

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alan here

I have an excellent set but just minor minute
flaws in the chrome
i was temped to disassemble and plate but this may be a better
option keep me posted if possible as money is not a consideraration. Thansk alan

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Samples have arrived!

I need to test fit into some frames. I hope that the frames are uniform!

If they fit I will negotiate prices. Volume helps so let me know if you are in for less than $200 a side.
Stan

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I need to test fit into some frames. I hope that the frames are uniform!

If they fit I will negotiate prices. Volume helps so let me know if you are in for less than $200 a side.
Stan

I am so there for you Stan, I'm in.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, I'm in too.
Let me know when you find out if they fit.
I want to get my frames chrome plated but have been holding back hoping this would work out.

Gary Beck

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
gotta get home (Friday) and see if they fit.
Had no time last weekend.
Will send a set to Scott A to test. Hoping all frames were uniformly made.
when i get them, i will pop them into my frames - i have frames for both sides open and ready to try. i have a NOS drivers side (with red turn signals) and we can compare how they compare. i will post pics and my opinion ... and based on how good the ones looked (that didn't fit) ... if they fit good i will be cheerleading all of you to buy along with me + Stan.