What did you do to your E9 today?

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mako, when did you buy that First 5? Don't recall it when I was there in August. Looks awesome by the way. Are you on mye28.com...I just add to my build thread over there and don't spend a lot of time perusing.

I picked it up at the beginning of last year. It was here when you came through, but since we met up in Boulder....
I'm not on mye28 much, only enough to gawk at Kohler's car. I've been updating a thread on FirstFives, where I think more people would be interested in it. Once I get my garage in a useable state (or is it "if...) I'll swap in the 5 speed and rebuild the suspension.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Checking off more items from the Vintage prep list, I finished up a week long project of rebuilding/rewiring/repainting the wiper motor (which was shorting and putting out a puff of smoke) and linkage and fasteners, stripped and repainted the heater motor cover, and derusted and sealed the hood light turn-off lever. SEM satin black is head and shoulders above the quality of Rustoleum paints and I blew through 2 cans. Also redid the factory spark plug wire cigar tube.

tzU959wTKgdJ7hpFR0Q6uZynrqA9zDCkzdKkjv25d6_JIG1_4TK7mHjRlTAlDi3Smd0NXemgkuzYYnwpOZTxNeg33bdp1h7HCekp5Z9P8gfanq3ZQmKuSz5QQB3OE5zutlykspaterlsAmDMuQam99K2gVIhIn4A_QbFF8u5_Dx5vL60m_POdpDD1K3cxz0WRzzCRxSCWbmHka6Ua9dxeAcjQsWAJocEumozpmrnuKLZpiRZZftoreh-MTpBAaKkxVqwIVts6JP_MsJx8qxcHvoxB0QPYF24o6Au7eUrN6pg85haWLOomk0jgJX5VGmBhKyzYIBeXN0yHfCxL6BQyHdTj3e_jCBheqQG25FlWO-FCUw05qUzKwa4hzOTmD-Oh5m3NF94jofjEVZCDXnyzrMtfMmrBIu264rYMHT8D9cXEqQbrJvMVb1LoZAvQLyuXcGvZPRUejo-rEkBxAB_fc3GThCwJTKtmb5aQxWQvmzeegqyVk7c8zVNA5p7FJJANkvlDo4ji3CiI_vsxV5dPCf_atprHc6RMQuaXZP3qZ-5MxM8p2GJCRCutP8Mq0UqOrgcj7Ow7Q3JavbOSKGhq8pESPZWUyK9xh_aB9YEFDgVC0lvaP9u=w1027-h771-no

1RKEuJMqLBI9qmumoJBSZ03cYoYxb2X1job9H2exXfyOtLHkQ-bzDBlR53unzixGfWBE5MZbzC_Ij1Ehjg_XVLqAfWWt6vvp1rK10sifnCIPiGlpkqTCto_yFelSXjSkpCM36xPjYgLFl2XPnHCwBjXGFf2Y4wRQNn2rhh1k-F9rYYz5cuE4pxlHEsRSgpZMralJd8bdVIxUaRkLjsGBi9EKhrx3JDstNVpndevP50RObyxZ8-PvwOZJ1AF4Q8cyQVfFbEVRi5K50qgHQtM-YssCuDcz4SzEq6zF7K_hFxEo_fH0Hzt7WklALgPQz-0LsMnK-sqpyZ0sjYDgThgWlTzYvTPXCwdXWJTdtrL4NE0j5xLYyNyFQk_P5oU2Q3x-Qv7bV94dS2jR8BiJ-3P0m1PM8KFaGxZsJoE_0OrBrPcjbuM2IOyzvPLQV1mFZQTxEyrE5hS0tq6qOT2pO40jk4JpYhGigylMG8K2rGqLGO-Q2bwGIRuA-mBcTIKJKKeuyv_8c_BxSlEfSFd8zovyxe5ALX8IKIX9vAQGDwaoYaE6GXeruUFYOAGf9QIq30rAtREUb_ZM_v4JsLzYq2p1rqMbr61VOJOP2fs2YZdkxPYkmlmHTyeB=w1027-h771-no

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
since my coupe is still at the paint spa ... i spent time cleaning / regreasing my other spare rear window regulator. now i'm digging out all of the spare front regulator parts to start working on those.

i was hoping to be putting the car back together to make it up to Vintage ... but i am getting further behind each day. its not looking probable

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
since my coupe is still at the paint spa ... i spent time cleaning / regreasing my other spare rear window regulator. now i'm digging out all of the spare front regulator parts to start working on those.

i was hoping to be putting the car back together to make it up to Vintage ... but i am getting further behind each day. its not looking probable

Even if your car isn't ready you should still attend.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The area VW guys were meeting at the local In n Out Burgers, so some of us BMWs crashed the party. My excuse was that the body was built by Karmann, so I was "related".

Here's Papa going on about the virtues of a Coupe and "I can't wait to get that mirror out on the front fender!"
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Good times.
Ed

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I finally finished assembling the driver's seat for the e9 and completed the installation just in time to clean up and leave for a dinner party for celebrate a dear friends anniversary of her 29th birthday. Even sat in the seat before closing up the garage! Passenger seat will join it soon.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attempted to drive mine around the block (despite the old tires). Car wouldn't start. I had the battery disconnected but it was still dead.

I'm pretty certain that my alternator is shot. I also think Inhave a short but the battery shouldn't be dead already. I think I'll try to return it for a white BMW battery out of Vancouver.

One problem with AGM batteries is that box stores like Autozone can't properly charge them. I need to return mine to Sears before they go under.

I also confirmed that the throttle stop that I just sold is missing from my project car. I'm shipping it anyway since the member wants his car driving in a month, and I'm on a two-year+ timeline.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an alternator you can have

Attempted to drive mine around the block (despite the old tires). Car wouldn't start. I had the battery disconnected but it was still dead.

I'm pretty certain that my alternator is shot. I also think Inhave a short but the battery shouldn't be dead already. I think I'll try to return it for a white BMW battery out of Vancouver.

One problem with AGM batteries is that box stores like Autozone can't properly charge them. I need to return mine to Sears before they go under.

I also confirmed that the throttle stop that I just sold is missing from my project car. I'm shipping it anyway since the member wants his car driving in a month, and I'm on a two-year+ timeline.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got my new Plasma Cutter today. Tested it out on some scrap metal and it works well. It's the smallest one Eastwood has, but since I figured I'd mainly be cutting sheet metal it should be fine. It made clean cuts, though it was hard to see what I was doing when the auto-darkening helmet kicked in. I may get some more light or a lighter lens. Or both.

I'm still collecting parts for the restoration. New AC compressor and starter arrived last week. Two gallons of Chamonix with primers should arrive tomorrow.
Sweet.

Ian

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
This past weekend I renewed my state historic tags for my coupe as I plan on driving it this summer, and I replaced a faulty driver side front power window switch, with one that I had forgot I had bought awhile back. Bonus!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drove it!!

Met the local cadre and rolled into Austin for our monthly C&C.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Traded some things for these beauties.

image.jpeg

Me and Papa will be heading out for some gulf coast oysters and fish.

image.jpeg

Go drive, gentlemen.

Ed Z

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, I finally went back to the new redesigned door brake! I had been using a temporary fix based on a different model. The model and person that recommended it are omitted for their own protection.

Unnatural noises like the bad door brake ruin the driving experience. I was avoiding driving the car for fear of the scary door opening and closing experience.
So I took everything apart and reinstalled the E9 new design version, regreased though. Now I hear the normal door clicks followed by 5 seconds of "tuning fork" type resonance of the entire car body when I slam the door. The fix was literally and open and shut case.

And yes, even the grease I use is color matched to Verona...

doorbrake1.jpg