CSL Re-Birth - Sydney

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Mal.
I would really welcome that - if yours is original it might be helpful for the restorers to inspect it if you are up for a drive and look at the car in its current state?
I researched various options for the engine. The best I could find locally was a well regarded engineer in Artarmon that had rebuilt two e9 engines and was quoting 25-30K. When my driver's side window got stuck I observed him stab a screw driver through the inspection hole in a failed attempt to fix the problem. We then rotated the switches to find the switch had failed - so he failed the interview!
I then flew it to Korman's in the US (who look after a lot of e9 engines, both street and racing) with a request to use their best engineer to restore to original on the outside with an extra 20HP from a better cam and lighter flywheel.
There was a time I was worried that this decision would hold up the restoration - what little did I know :)

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I researched various options for the engine. The best I could find locally was a well regarded engineer in Artarmon that had rebuilt two e9 engines and was quoting 25-30K.

???

I should not read this forum after my dinner bottle of cabernet. I almost thought you wrote 25-30k for an e9 engine. Ha. Silly me...

Wait...

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe AUD vs USD?
Anyway, the solution was somewhat less in both currencies. Hope I didnt spoil your dinner!

Here is the gearbox.It seems they were commonly painted with silver paint. The gearbox was refurbed a few thousand KMs ago so we dismantled to lightly strip the housing without damage - we will likely recoat in a matt clear coat unless others suggest otherwise?

IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Mal.
I would really welcome that - if yours is original it might be helpful for the restorers to inspect it if you are up for a drive and look at the car in its current state?
I researched various options for the engine. The best I could find locally was a well regarded engineer in Artarmon that had rebuilt two e9 engines and was quoting 25-30K. When my driver's side window got stuck I observed him stab a screw driver through the inspection hole in a failed attempt to fix the problem. We then rotated the switches to find the switch had failed - so he failed the interview!
I then flew it to Korman's in the US (who look after a lot of e9 engines, both street and racing) with a request to use their best engineer to restore to original on the outside with an extra 20HP from a better cam and lighter flywheel.
There was a time I was worried that this decision would hold up the restoration - what little did I know :)

The perfectly boxed up engine looks amazing. Sounds like it was worth sending to the US where they do things properly and and were fairer on the price.
Sure I would be interested to take a look at your build some time and can bring mine along. My CSL is 99% stock, matching numbers, origional trans, interior etc. Just an engine upgrade to the 21 century via a Haltech to improve reliability and make it run smoother.. Also a few period body mods to make it go a bit faster :) - 16" wheels, front valance and bonnet wind splits.
BTW did you import your CSL yourself? or was it the same silver CSL that sold a few years ago in North Sydney?

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great - your car sounds perfect, with just the right refinements which I am tempted to copy. Will PM you so we can hook up sooner rather than later.

The car was privately imported after some UK due diligence by a classic car collector in Melbourne, who onsold it to me via The Healey Factory(THF). Notably, the car was the subject of a magazine review in the UK, here: https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1110/bmw-30-csl-(1973)-review. I have since found an original steering wheel from another local CSL and will be selling the light weight Momo pictured in the article. (Ping me if anyone is interested). Note the front air dam is unusual, the distinctive front air dam holes (I presume in racing guise they feed cool air to the brakes?) were not punched out, any history/hypotheses on why they were filled in would be welcome.
I wonder if the publicity helped the UK sale price? The article wasn't mentioned by THF, who sold it on commission, as a complete, adequately running, but unremarkable example in need of some love, which it is now well and truly getting.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The gear box has now been clear coated!
This is a major milestone and has taken nearly a month from disassemble to strip to coat.
We are very happy with what we hope mimics the oem look.
With the gearbox shell finished we will take the engine out for the last time, get all bolts plated and refit the engine and gear box and drive shaft (the brakes are being re-plated at the same time).
So in the next few weeks we should see a big proportion of the mechanical build complete so we can then turn our attention to the interior and tidying up some issues with the paint work.
Thanks for everyone's help and interest.

IMG_4003.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice work! Sure looks clean.

I'd be interested to learn how the replating of your brakes will work out. I had a bunch of stuff yellow Zinc electrolytically coated, and all parts came out fine, only the brake halves didn't really pick up a solid, closed layer of zinc. They started rusting (white spots) a few weeks after already. IF yours come out OK, then i'd be interested to learn what process your plating shop is using.

Erik.

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As the carpet runs under the centre console we have started to put in the carpet. We used original carpet taken from a CSi to create exact templates and sourced the OEM carpet (though I have seen some argue that CSLs had lighter weight black carpet in the boot - which mine had, so could be original or not! However, it is only in ok condition so will need to make a call on matching or not.
As the centre console was looking a little tired, a nick in the plastic and side panels from CSi which had been refurbished poorly we have taken out the centre console for a full refurb.

Work is underway putting back the gear box and plating the brakes so we should see a rush of progress in the next few weeks.

IMG_6874.JPG
IMG_6874.JPG
IMG_6876.JPG
IMG_6877.JPG
IMG_6878.JPG

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Final Carpet pieces.jpg
It has been a slower month than expected because we discovered that the fabricator had not welded back on the outside headlamp brackets and they were missing - fortunately we found a superb e9 coupe mechanic in Melbourne Bill Rama, who has substantial experience as well as his own car. After 24 hours he had found some brackets and offered ot help with some other hard to find parts - Bill is highly highly recommended for any Australian restorations and Mel/Vic mechanicals.

The team have taken the engine out for the last time and fitted the final firewall pads.

IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG

In the cabin, the rest of the carpets have been made and bound and the console has been stripped and is being repaired

Console 1.jpg
Console 2.jpg

We are now waiting for the headlamp brackets from Mel and the platers to finish the fixings and the brake boosters, then the engine and gearbox go back in and then we should see a longish sprint to the finish line! Though I suspect these cars are never finished as we discover more ways to improve their condition!

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Headlamp brackets found by Bill Rama in Melbourne 65 Butler St, North Richmond, now cleaned and welded on with a trial fit.
In parallel, the console and gear stick surround have been recovered and restored. and the back carpets completed.

console sticthcing.jpg

centre console.jpg

centre console complete.jpg

gear stick shroud.jpg

Back Carpet complete.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coming along beautifully.
Just to mention, you need a 5 black slat kidney as all CSLs should have. Minor detail that you can rectify down the road.
Regards
Keshav

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keshav

The original front kidney grill was not easy to restore so we sourced this one from Walloth - which doesn't fit particularly well in the Walloch supplied replacement front panel - I wasn't aware of the difference so this is very helpful and timely input, thank you!

David

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi David, Mine sadly got dented during the car's journey from UK. So now have a Walloth kidney (ie same as you have - the 4 slats chunkier surround version modelled on what was used on the later CSi's, 74 onwards). Although I now prefer it since it gives the CSL front a slightly more aggressive look (on my car anyway as I have gone with bumper delete).

(The unique 5 slat kidneys were a signature item on CSLs so do still keep your old one, as they are very rare items)

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 10.22.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 10.33.26 PM.png

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No doubt that finding an original 5 black slat kidney, specially in v.good condition, is a patience game.
A few of us have taken a full chrome 5 slat kidney (2 of us did this in the last couple of months), removed the slats (easy enough) and had them anodized. Voila, you have the correct CSL kidney.
I had the slats of one kidney anodized and on another powder coated. Both methods turned out perfect. Painting them black isint the best option since the paint chips off too easily.
Your CSL project sure deserves the extra treatment.
The 2 pics show the kidney before and after anodizing
Cheers

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    822 KB · Views: 390
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 389

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No doubt that finding an original 5 black slat kidney, specially in v.good condition, is a patience game.
A few of us have taken a full chrome 5 slat kidney (2 of us did this in the last couple of months), removed the slats (easy enough) and had them anodized. Voila, you have the correct CSL kidney.
I had the slats of one kidney anodized and on another powder coated. Both methods turned out perfect. Painting them black isint the best option since the paint chips off too easily.
Your CSL project sure deserves the extra treatment.
The 2 pics show the kidney before and after anodizing
Cheers
Keshav

To be sure, to be sure to be sure, you are saying the 5 slay kidney grill should have silver looking anodised slats for the original CSL look (and that you had one set of slat's powdercoated in black for another purpose/look)?

Many thanks

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion.
ALL CSL's came off the production line with 5 BLACK SLAT kidneys, like on picture# 2.
Stevehose and I both, recently took our, all chrome 5 slat kidneys (picture #1), removed the 10 slats and had them anodized and they now look like on picture #2.

I had 2 kidneys done, off which 1 got the slats anodized and the other, the slats powder coated. Both intended for my CSL. (Infact I have 3, one in the car and 2 spares)

So what I'm saying is, you might want to go our route, i.e. look for a new or a good 5 chrome slat kidney, remove the slats and have them anodized. If you don't have access to a anodizing shop, second choice would be powder coating them satin black. Powder coating shops are common and easy to find as opposed to anodizing shops (in my case).

Oddly enough, the only vendor I know, world wide, who has a few (don't know how many) brand new 5 slat chrome kidneys, is 2 miles away from me. He is asking for €350 (19% sales tax exempt for export).
If you or anyone else reading this post wants to indulge, I'd be happy to post the contact.
NM(NA) although I know the person since 30 years. He is a local BMW parts dealer.

Last but not least, in a few days I will have my powder coated kidney slats reinstalled ( that kidney wasn't new, I had the slats powder coated and the kidney frame polished and clearcoated with special Alu clear coat and had 2 bolts redone/ they are often sheared off). If you are interested, I'll send you pics of it and maybe we can strike a deal Although I'd still recommend buying a new one and do what Stevehose and I did.

Feel free to ask us for further clarifications.

Last edited: