CSL Re-Birth - Sydney

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some recent progress - brakes now re-assembled and the brake booster painted and dipped (but not re-built yet)

IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4817.JPG

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some solid progress - engine now in for the final time. Air conditioning pipe location is perfect. Suspension, gear box and driveshaft complete (sans one or two nuts which missed the last plating round). Also, some nice pictures of Korman's great work on the engine and the kitchen sink/table of parts still to be applied - fuel line, brakes and steering should be in next week. We have some restorative work to do to the previous paint job, then we are in the final furlong, with trim, glass and engine/electrical testing debugging. Thanks everyone for your great help and support over the years.

IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5254.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A selection of progress update snaps:
- All brake lines and fuel lines ready
- Exhaust on
- Some injection wiring to do - the UK sourced wiring harness wasn't numbered and all wires are white so we are retracing every wire to be make sure we don't risk blowing the ECU
- Under dash preparation work complete - we are now going to install the complete dash and finish all interior trim
- When the wiring issue is sorted, we are putting in fluids and hope to fire her up the week after next - 3.5 years since she was dropped in for a two week job to change the sills!
- Glass and final paint
IMG-5569.JPG
IMG-5572.JPG
IMG-5574.JPG
IMG-5576.JPG
IMG-5579.JPG
IMG-5580.JPG
and trim scheduled for mid-Jan to mid-Feb
- A big thank you to Bill Rama from Melbourne (A CSL owner and mechanic) who spent a few days with us and helped with some original details, clips and lots of expertise
Best

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A quick update after the long summer break here.

The engine started first time and is running beautifully - great job Kormans.
The mechanicals are now all complete except the air cleaner and BMW battery. We have attempted to restore to factory finish - if anyone sees anything erroneous - let us know.

Unfortunately, we found an important opportunity to improve the original paintwork - for example, O&S put too much silastic when re-affixing the door skins so we lost the factory look and the finish had already split! We are restoring to original before the final painting - we hope to be back on the road by end of March!
brakes.jpg
engine.jpg
suspension.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe you have already looked into it, but you might want to add the heat plates that screw onto the exhaust manifold to keep the heat away from the spark plug wires.

The eBay advert shows what I mean. NMNA. In chrome they look quite cool but I’m sure you can find them much cheaper from some of our forum members.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Warmeleitbl...361633?hash=item285090d821:g:LUAAAOSw4PxaLR5~
Thanks Keshav good point

Fortunately we still have the originals which have been repainted (one had a crack in it and Ben at csi provided a matching original at modest cost).

Sorry for not adding this to the list of to dos.

I have a short apple video of the engine running as it sounds a whole lot better than before!

Best

David

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great news David.

Seems like you got the FI wiring harness gremlins all sorted out.

By the way, can you tell me who did your brake cylinder and boosters refurbishment, if you have this info. (I need to get mine done)

Cheers

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Atavistic, will this be a show/garage queen or do you still daire to drive it anymore ? :D

Belgiumbarry,

You ask the function of 64.000 dollar question which befalls anyone falling into the slippery slope of a fulll but and bolt!

I bought this particular e9 at a lower price point than I tell hers that had b me put up for sale for precisely the reason you suggest and indeed I drive it to work almost every day. However it didn’t like heavy rain nor did I like the way other drivers didn’t respct my humble classic and leave us some space!

So I suspect for he first quarter I will drive gingerly (new engine anyway) and either we will retain concourse and so I will go east

David
Great news David.

Seems like you got the FI wiring harness gremlins all sorted out.

By the way, can you tell me who did your brake cylinder and boosters refurbishment, if you have this info. (I need to get mine done)

Cheers

Yes - Paul - the auto electrician hand traced every wire back to the ECU - worked first time!
The brake cylinders and boosters were dismantled by the team at Scotts Panel - they outsourced the internals to a local shop they will know and can repaint your if they need it

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
hello david
the exhaust manifold on your motor ?
i never seen that before ,that it is ,,one,, and not two separate headers?
where was it O.E.M mounted/placed on which models ?
kindley regards mchel

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
hello
that can be ?
i never seen it before ,
to see ,where and how first 2 exhaust pipes are mounting
i hope once to see a picture

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
hello
that can be ?
i never seen it before ,
to see ,where and how first 2 exhaust pipes are mounting
i hope once to see a picture
Thanks for your interest - I will get some pictures at the next visit - should be in a week or so,
Best, David

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Some very solid progress over the past few weeks - especially on paint! The paintwork at O&S Sydney (a leading restorer who really specialize in metal work not paint) wasn't up to scratch (in many well-documented ways) so they kindly helped pay for a new professional job which you can start to see below. The car is now being buffed and the bonnet and boot fitted, so we can start with exterior and interior trim next week.

I didn't have an eye for paintwork before this experience. I now see the patience and artisnal skills required to prepare and produce outstanding work like this.

A big thank you to the team at Scotts Panel for their efforts completing this three and a half year restoration - final picks should be available over the next 6-8 weeks.

Roof.jpg

Attachments

• Car final buff.jpg
    Car final buff.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 290

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another short update - the car has now been completely buffed. It is hard to appreciate under plastic without natural light but the results look like what I was hoping for from the first supplier O&S.
Also a snap of the restored fuel tank.
IMG-7014.JPG
IMG-7014.JPG
IMG-7013.JPG
IMG-7014.JPG
IMG-7013.JPG
IMG-7014.JPG
IMG-7013.JPG

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Trim now polished and on - more trim work underway on the outside and around the windows before we can put the dash back in for the last time!

As it is getting colder here now, the guys appear to have provided a very stylish engine warmer.

IMG_7181.jpg
IMG_7182.jpg