I just couldn't stop myself opening Pandora's Box!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are within driving distance of either Madera Concepts or Just Dashes, can they do the job from A-Z so that a person who prefers not to remove and reinstall the dash wood pieces just writes the check ?
Is one place or the other preferable ?

Madera does wood and JD does vinyl. I’m not sure but I don’t think that either does removal and installation.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Scott. How about this? Too bold ? I think it would look good with the dark blue interior.

View attachment 49622
macassar ebony is quite bold. its very pretty and i remember somebody has done it ... i don't remember who. i would go with the zebra wood. lighter overall and more beautiful with the blue.
i thought about black limba - not quite as bold as the macassar, but similar, although lighter in color. the zebra wood is real veneer in the pic below ... the lower pic is zebrano which is a synthetic veneer

black limba_quartered_plain.jpg

blue with zebrawood.jpg

blue with zebrano.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
macassar ebony is quite bold. its very pretty and i remember somebody has done it ... i don't remember who. i would go with the zebra wood. lighter overall and more beautiful with the blue.
i thought about black limba - not quite as bold as the macassar, but similar, although lighter in color. the zebra wood is real veneer in the pic below ... the lower pic is zebrano which is a synthetic veneer

View attachment 49635

View attachment 49636
View attachment 49638
Bela says he can do Zebrano as in your photo (he calls it parallel grain zebrano) and I have pulled the trigger on that. I think it will look great :D

72518dm1.jpg

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
That will turn out beautiful Dan!
I also have (at least what Bela himself called zebrano) in my car. It's quite dark/reddish compared to most zebrano, but that was what I wanted and I don't know if he stained it or found a veneer in that color.
However, have you thought about making the grains on the door/side non-parallel to the doorcard? I did that and I quite like it. I also had him put the dash veneer in two pieces, with the grains at an angle against each other.
Just food for thought, it'll turn out spectacular either way!:)

DSC_0298.jpg DSC_0299.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That will turn out beautiful Dan!
I also have (at least what Bela himself called zebrano) in my car. It's quite dark/reddish compared to most zebrano, but that was what I wanted and I don't know if he stained it or found a veneer in that color.
However, have you thought about making the grains on the door/side non-parallel to the doorcard? I did that and I quite like it. I also had him put the dash veneer in two pieces, with the grains at an angle against each other.
Just food for thought, it'll turn out spectacular either way!:)

View attachment 49671 View attachment 49672
Thanks Robert, I can't wait to see the finished result! The only negative to all this is that I feel like I have been violated after spending half an hour on the Western Union website, Bela's chosen method of payment...and I am still not done! I didn't feel comfortable giving Western Union my bank log in information (seriously?!), so I am going to make the payment in cash personally at one of the WU branch locations. Hopefully they will be a bit more gentle with me there :(

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Robert, I can't wait to see the finished result! The only negative to all this is that I feel like I have been violated after spending half an hour on the Western Union website, Bela's chosen method of payment...and I am still not done! I didn't feel comfortable giving Western Union my bank log in information (seriously?!), so I am going to make the payment in cash personally at one of the WU branch locations. Hopefully they will be a bit more gentle with me there :(

Yes tell me about it... And it wasn't particularly easy to make the payment in cash at the local WU branch either, but I hope you have better luck!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
IMHO, if i may give some critic…. i found those wood grains to expressed in comparison with the OEM ones…. sorry , to much eye catcher it's "wood".... some of the subtle nuances go's lost in "glamour".... pitty

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO, if i may give some critic…. i found those wood grains to expressed in comparison with the OEM ones…. sorry , to much eye catcher it's "wood".... some of the subtle nuances go's lost in "glamour".... pitty
No worries, Barry! We all have our own preferences and tastes.

J'aime un peu de glamour :D

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes tell me about it... And it wasn't particularly easy to make the payment in cash at the local WU branch either, but I hope you have better luck!
Failed in person, too. Didn't feel comfortable providing Western Union with my driving license number plus passport or social security number...

Ended up going back on line and doing the WU credit card option. Other than a $94 charge, it was fairly painless :(

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found this photo of Curly French Walnut in the thread that Rob directed me to earlier. I really like this one as well. I have sent it to Bela to see if he can do something similar.

IMG_1397.JPG

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the choice of wood grain would be such a difficult decision! In the end, after going through lots of different options with Bela, I have settled on a satin finish Macassar Ebony.

IMG_1400.JPG

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today I received this absolutely pristine 40cm Petri steering wheel and E9 hub from @JohnP_02 . I first heard of this particular Petri from my friend @Keshav in Germany who told me the history, as follows:

"It was used for literally 10 days. Person bought a brand new E9 in 1973 with this Petri and 10 days later changed it to a wood Nardi wheel. Packed and put it way in the basement till I got it last year. The foam wrap feels supple and brand new. The owner passed away and his son sold me the wheel and narrated me the story of the wheel's history. 10 days usage in 45 years. It doesn’t even have a dust scratch. A real time capsule."

Interesting to compare the 40cm wheel with the 38cm which I have been using in the CSi. The 38cm wheel is fitted to a CSL hub, which is why it sits slightly taller than the 40cm wheel on its correct E9 hub. The wheel is obviously as close to new condition as it could possibly be and a great addition to the CSi.

Today is a good day, I think :)

82218dm1.jpg

82218dm2.jpg

82218dm3.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man. All of you Petri guys... I didn't think I needed a Petri wheel, even after a couple of years of reading about them on this forum. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid. But I am going to have to put it pretty far down on the list as I have some other, more important things to get before I get a 3rd wheel. :) Dan, that wheel found a a great home on your coupe!!!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man. All of you Petri guys... I didn't think I needed a Petri wheel, even after a couple of years of reading about them on this forum. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid. But I am going to have to put it pretty far down on the list as I have some other, more important things to get before I get a 3rd wheel. :) Dan, that wheel found a a great home on your coupe!!!
Thanks Stephen :)

Wladek

Reaction score
Great choice for blue interior Dan! I think darker color will look superior if compare to standard french walnut.
I was thinking of american walnut with darker satin finish for mine project.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great choice for blue interior Dan! I think darker color will look superior if compare to standard french walnut.
I was thinking of american walnut with darker satin finish for mine project.
Thanks Wladek. In truth it was Bela who steered me in this direction. I think it will look great :)