Exterior moulding bolts

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I know I mentioned this before. Before my health issues and before giving my car to my son,I ordered plastic nuts and flat head bolts and ground two sides of the bolt heads square making them easy to slide in the rear of the moulding. No chance of scratching or rusting at all. Now that my son who I call "the perfectionist" owns the car chances are he removed them and made stainless steel bolts to match the originals. Being Director of Engineering at Bose Corp. he can usually reproduce almost any part on the car.
Sorry not trying to brag.

GRKOALA

Peter K
Site Donor
Reaction score
So- which bolts do you have?

Should I ask W&N to disregard the lengthy email I sent yesterday and just deal with you instead?

I don't imagine they need multiple emails about the same issue.
I already said I sent them an email.
I already sent them pictures.
I sent measurements and part numbers
I will post back here...
Just following up on the thread, how did you go with WandN? Did they get back to you and have they resized the Tbolts to fit our coupes?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not answering above question from GRkoala, but closing a potential route; I found these fasteners awhile that looked promising. After consultation with the supplier, they confirmed that they have been produced in the past, however they are not anymore.
They would have been ideal, as the plastic head could be trimmed to fit and it would be without risk of galvanic corrosion.
So a dead end here....

Attachments

• Potential exterior trim clips -- no fit.jpg
    Potential exterior trim clips -- no fit.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 230

restart

Reaction score
Most cars use the same mounting system. Lots of alternatives in metal and plastic out there if you can put in the leg work or ..
Any good body shop should be able to help you source something.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well- after months of shopping and many wasted dollars it appears that Scott is correct about the latest bmw nuts.... 62 cents for an updated no longer worth buying part. Not close to original. Good news is that W&N nuts are great. (Never thought I would say that) same as original.
Sadly their bolts are not as original and did not work on my old trim. Good news is that bmw bolts are still correct.
Correct answer is bolts from bmw and nuts from W&N

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to add to this thread - I received a full set of both nuts and bolts from W&N today and the seem to fit fine into my old trim (maybe they have changed them since this thread started - the heads do look very much like the original heads rather than the fatter ones that people are saying dont fit?). They look great quality and they were on special (Euro 126 for a full set of 45 or each). Hope this is of help to the next person looking for info (I was a bit nervous ordering them after reading this thread..!)

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi. I may have a few originals if you would want them.
Send me your address and will try to find them.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to add to this thread - I received a full set of both nuts and bolts from W&N today and the seem to fit fine into my old trim (maybe they have changed them since this thread started - the heads do look very much like the original heads rather than the fatter ones that people are saying dont fit?). They look great quality and they were on special (Euro 126 for a full set of 45 or each). Hope this is of help to the next person looking for info (I was a bit nervous ordering them after reading this thread..!)

Pic please?

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pic please?
they are at work (and I am not till mid jan!) - but they look just like the originals I pulled. Nuts with rubber washers etc. They fit fine in my old original trim. I was a bit stressed about ordering them having read the threads about the heads being too big but I have a feeling that was a temporary issue that has been resolved. The set I got from W&N on special offer were the cheapest I have seen anywhere by a long way and work perfectly..

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they are at work (and I am not till mid jan!) - but they look just like the originals I pulled. Nuts with rubber washers etc. They fit fine in my old original trim. I was a bit stressed about ordering them having read the threads about the heads being too big but I have a feeling that was a temporary issue that has been resolved. The set I got from W&N on special offer were the cheapest I have seen anywhere by a long way and work perfectly..

Mine arrived from Walloth yesterday- perfect.
Still feeling the outrage of buying 5 cent garbage from dealer at 60 cents each.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Guys. If someone would kindly send me one I will start making them in stainless steel and all the problems will be solved without any big expense.
Thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Guys. If someone would kindly send me one I will start making them in stainless steel and all the problems will be solved without any big expense.
Thanks

I think that the bolts and nuts are a solved problem.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
sfdon: do u know if WN are willing to exchange current accurate sets for prior/unused ones that don't fit ie, set you speak of above that fit, spanking new order or exchange?