Hood shocks instead of the factory torsion bar.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I saw this photo the other day and noticed the end of a gas shock holding the hood up on this E9.
It searched for info on this and only found one thing about "over center".

A friend had his hood fall just a few weeks ago when he was using cables for a jump start.
It made a sharp dent in the hood.

60225752-770-0@2X.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i remember seeing the pic of the center gas shock. seems like it was part of a korman s38 build. thought i had a pic of it, but i can't locate it.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw this photo the other day and noticed the end of a gas shock holding the hood up on this E9.
It searched for info on this and only found one thing about "over center".

A friend had his hood fall just a few weeks ago when he was using cables for a jump start.
It made a sharp dent in the hood.

View attachment 39165

Anymore pics of that one? I much prefer the mini struts on the actual folding brackets. Very clean look. I'll definitely be going this direction. Looks easy enough to fab something.

tmason

Reaction score
This is a bracket I made that hooks around the flange and clips to hood hinge at top of my hood so I don't worry if it will slam shut in a slight breeze.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 155

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Eating lunch and did some searching.
The shock idea I was looking for was this from an E34 M5. Not sure if it would work on an E9 but that picture I posted when I started this thread is an E9. I don't know where I found it?
I know an E34 hood is a lot bigger than an E9 but will have to study the mechanical advantage here?
Just found an E24 where strut goes straight up.
Ideas?

Hood strut idea e34 m5.jpg

Attachments

• Hood strut E24.jpg
    Hood strut E24.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 222

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
McMaster-Carr has a selection of small shocks that could be used for this, they also carry the little ball pieces that the shocks attach to, could make it a lot easier to do.
Thanks, I hadn't looked there yet. Going to wait till I get my hood on so I can study how this can work and have it fall on my head. NOT!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eating lunch and did some searching.
The shock idea I was looking for was this from an E34 M5. Not sure if it would work on an E9 but that picture I posted when I started this thread is an E9. I don't know where I found it?
I know an E34 hood is a lot bigger than an E9 but will have to study the mechanical advantage here?
Just found an E24 where strut goes straight up.
Ideas?

View attachment 58588

Nice! Looks straight forward enough. I like that the lift is hidden a bit in the scissor bracket.

Last edited: