What did you do to your E9 today?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I must admit that I prefer the vinyl look rather than the wood.....
View attachment 69268
Keshav, yes, we all have different preferences/tastes. Perhaps it is the black Alpina wheel(Rare and Beautiful) that complements the vinyl in your car, while my wood Nardi would continue the wood theme in a car like the 2000 CS or a RHD car.

Your wood is beautiful, plus I like what you did with the speaker grill. It looks "factory" to me while deleting it completely and running a long slab of uninterrupted wood looks odd to me.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve I like the wood strip too but it was probably not allowed in the usa for “safety” reasons.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, yes, we all have different preferences/tastes. Perhaps it is the black Alpina wheel(Rare and Beautiful) that complements the vinyl in your car, while my wood Nardi would continue the wood theme in a car like the 2000 CS or a RHD car.

Your wood is beautiful, plus I like what you did with the speaker grill. It looks "factory" to me while deleting it completely and running a long slab of uninterrupted wood looks odd to me.

The wheel is infact a Petri which now has a new home at @rsporsche

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could you post a photo of a trap mirror and a flag mirror? I probably have flags but not sure. Thanks.

And speaking of emergency brakes, after a buddy replaced the ugly EB rubber boot with a leather boot I did the same. Something BMW should have done originally. But the cost-cutting had already begun, exhibit A: The additional wood on the dash of RHD cars versus the cheap vinyl on our LHD cars.
Steve, your Avatar shows you have the larger flag mirrors. These weren’t available initially until early CY 75.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
TRAP MIRROR

DSC_0072.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After 9 years of ownership I finally replaced the new style parking brake handle for an NOS one, peace at last. Next nagging item: replacing my flag mirrors with traps (yes I know!).

_78Yx8SkiHYbqdUdcm4IoYfIPqTlhR6ZWnF6uss2-1ic1aCri9R_MZGdscipJFsUUx001BgtxrNXMlo3gxRpi-vEGD9AvFQFN6Fh7_HlMUVVSweFNNf37qzeGyOfe0_vXIyAd8RDjoANoDRuw0lbMcz_MC4ewpsG00cQ8igC7p4Qlo2Y6Dugd4S0ETNX4-pKPbtDiUeTpJTmGvNOz-fILRmUFc5qcAqOa8W2IfkAMUtDkV2JXRvOhfOVT3GCrPZpIfdQ2Ne-q1DCzUYSKJ1dHiG6FWS4_-wmX_Fl1BG9RlLldIhOMRWbszqDE9Mc5j5tg_s754A3Snjp4RXE0exr10CGNMMMXqXATYAih1OaWgxIyZCAYQKgIwywLlI0NID6eN3q0uaRDG-VKoir7mCykqdqBVDMUUE-YvdPSRlTtE65cnQAtYQrL9eoV3P0sHVkv4HnRt-Jlv7xbGPj3EfHRkRP3Js0_JbcfwNjJL3UaD-gEx0cAjYGsJOeFJ4MRGzwc7Y0LOQoAenCny85hejblROYoY_JXbd__b8X8VweJKpt9iYD7PssGlzywROBjFgf8CsjIZeGylaF0Eh02F87w4l1h9clZUoa7mGQ0H2g3vFtA7LNpmMxawwMXJfzpg5Hhxk1wa8wrJipjxQl9x-q-G2mOMwYM6I=w586-h781-no
been giving some thought to finding one of the leather wrapped handles. i had one on my M3 and i loved it.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
been giving some thought to finding one of the leather wrapped handles. i had one on my M3 and i loved it.
Steve, so instead of doing wood in euro coupes and vinyl in USA coupes, BMW did vinyl in both. The cheaper way of course. So my Italian delivery euro coupe could have had wood.

Today I opened the package from Gary W. with my new clock inside. Perfect, perfect. Of course now I will have to have the other instruments brought up to this high standard, along with the instrument panel wood. How one purchase/project leads to three others each having their three and so on.

I still don't know the difference between mirror models. Could someone post a pic the two side by side? Thanks.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
After 9 years of ownership I finally replaced the new style parking brake handle for an NOS one, peace at last. Next nagging item: replacing my flag mirrors with traps (yes I know!).

_78Yx8SkiHYbqdUdcm4IoYfIPqTlhR6ZWnF6uss2-1ic1aCri9R_MZGdscipJFsUUx001BgtxrNXMlo3gxRpi-vEGD9AvFQFN6Fh7_HlMUVVSweFNNf37qzeGyOfe0_vXIyAd8RDjoANoDRuw0lbMcz_MC4ewpsG00cQ8igC7p4Qlo2Y6Dugd4S0ETNX4-pKPbtDiUeTpJTmGvNOz-fILRmUFc5qcAqOa8W2IfkAMUtDkV2JXRvOhfOVT3GCrPZpIfdQ2Ne-q1DCzUYSKJ1dHiG6FWS4_-wmX_Fl1BG9RlLldIhOMRWbszqDE9Mc5j5tg_s754A3Snjp4RXE0exr10CGNMMMXqXATYAih1OaWgxIyZCAYQKgIwywLlI0NID6eN3q0uaRDG-VKoir7mCykqdqBVDMUUE-YvdPSRlTtE65cnQAtYQrL9eoV3P0sHVkv4HnRt-Jlv7xbGPj3EfHRkRP3Js0_JbcfwNjJL3UaD-gEx0cAjYGsJOeFJ4MRGzwc7Y0LOQoAenCny85hejblROYoY_JXbd__b8X8VweJKpt9iYD7PssGlzywROBjFgf8CsjIZeGylaF0Eh02F87w4l1h9clZUoa7mGQ0H2g3vFtA7LNpmMxawwMXJfzpg5Hhxk1wa8wrJipjxQl9x-q-G2mOMwYM6I=w586-h781-no

Hey Steve, Which one is NOS and which one was the new style? Mine doesn't look like either of those…

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score

Ok so can someone tell me the difference between the Trap and Flag mirror. I'm finding it hard to see the differences from the pictures?

What is the history behind the different mirrors?

I have electric mirrors on mine (which @Simufly installed) but no idea if they are original E9 electric mirrors or whether they are period mirrors.

Would very happily be given a history lesson on E9 mirrors :)

Thanks, m

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are 2 types, flat and cu
Ok so can someone tell me the difference between the Trap and Flag mirror. I'm finding it hard to see the differences from the pictures?

What is the history behind the different mirrors?

I have electric mirrors on mine (which @Simufly installed) but no idea if they are original E9 electric mirrors or whether they are period mirrors.

Would very happily be given a history lesson on E9 mirrors :)

Thanks, m

Michael,
your Electric mirrors are correct. Most face lift cars had them (1974 onwards). Even if they look a bit thick......