Help with side mirror location measurement

NZCSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm getting close to paint but need to locate holes for the side mirrors. My car is a UK delivery RHD and the mirrors were originally located further back like in the pic attached. Is there anyone with this mirror location who could post a couple of measurements?

#1 - A horizontal measurement from the front of the door at the height of the mirror
#2 - A vertical measurement from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the mirror base

I don't have any trim or windows in the car so I'm looking for measurements taken from the panels - hope that makes sense.

Also, I'm reading that plates are needed behind the holes, are these parts welded in or are they the parts which came with the mirrors? I have new mirrors from here: https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserieanbauteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-51-14.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Attachments

• ebay952948.jpg
    ebay952948.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 176

NZCSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, I kept receiving an error when posting (see attached) so now there are multiple posts. I couldn't see a way to delete them so feel free to delete the duplicates!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 2.30.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 2.30.14 PM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I measured it here:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are no plates and no welding. Your mirror should have come with a bracket that the mirror mounts to. You can use small sheet metal screws to attach it to the door, more secure that the captured nuts that came originally.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These are the parts Chris is possibly referring to. for trap style mirrors.

if you install these cage type retainers, insert and rotate 90• to fix to the door sheet metal

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe not twisted 90• upon installation to affix properly? I never had a problem with them......

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The hole in the door can become enlarged and the captured nuts we get here are very thin and can be damaged if overtightened. On my 2002 I just used sheet metal screws to mount the bracket, works great!

NZCSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I measured it here:

It looks like your mirrors are mounted at the front of the door but mine were further back which allowed for the quarter winder to be opened fully (reversed) so air could come in from the front which I liked.

No worries if nobody has a measurement, will fit the window and mark it up so it doesn't foul on the window. Cheers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Leading edge of mirror base matches trailing edge of vent window post. Trap and flag mirrors should be the same.

Attachments

• 90584E12-80FB-4B78-86B8-507DA25CDE8E.jpeg
    90584E12-80FB-4B78-86B8-507DA25CDE8E.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 190
  • E811625B-4968-4784-BBFA-BFBD3236857D.jpeg
    E811625B-4968-4784-BBFA-BFBD3236857D.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 183

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like your mirrors are mounted at the front of the door but mine were further back which allowed for the quarter winder to be opened fully (reversed) so air could come in from the front which I liked.

No worries if nobody has a measurement, will fit the window and mark it up so it doesn't foul on the window. Cheers

Yes my measurements were for the forward position mirrors most commonly found on euro cars.

matthewp

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm getting close to paint but need to locate holes for the side mirrors. My car is a UK delivery RHD and the mirrors were originally located further back like in the pic attached. Is there anyone with this mirror location who could post a couple of measurements?

#1 - A horizontal measurement from the front of the door at the height of the mirror
#2 - A vertical measurement from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the mirror base

I don't have any trim or windows in the car so I'm looking for measurements taken from the panels - hope that makes sense.

Also, I'm reading that plates are needed behind the holes, are these parts welded in or are they the parts which came with the mirrors? I have new mirrors from here: https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserieanbauteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-51-14.html

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

NZCSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Leading edge of mirror base matches trailing edge of vent window post. Trap and flag mirrors should be the same.

Perfect! Those are the photos I was looking for - thank you.

Are the holes just normal holes or do they need to be made the shape of the screws - I thought I saw a pic somewhere (which I can't find now) which showed the holes like the London underground logo if that makes sense.

NZCSi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Normal round holes......

Here's the pic I found - are these the factory holes? Those holes look to be in the shape of the little nuts that came with the mirrors.

However, we're not too keen on creating this shape! So are wondering about just using rivnuts like the ones attached.

What do people think?

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 451acab0-1fd1-469f-be06-67d015270023.jpg
    451acab0-1fd1-469f-be06-67d015270023.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 8EEE47BB-FD9F-460C-96DA-2EE78ECFCBCC.png
    8EEE47BB-FD9F-460C-96DA-2EE78ECFCBCC.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have only seen the oblong hole as the original nuts had ears on them but they get loose. I would use those round cylindrical bushings or again just drill a small starter hole for a sheet metal screw.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Attached are photos of the holes for the Mirror for my 73 USA E9. I have yet to attach the driver mirror and also need to find the best fasteners.

Attachments

• Mount holes 1.jpg
    Mount holes 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Mount Holes.jpg
    Mount Holes.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 179