Would you buy this?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats! Would love to see pics when you get it.

A 1973 with square taillights? Hmm...interesting. Maybe it was a late manufacturing date in 1973.

My funky 1976, I'm getting rid of the big bumpers and going for the turbo look (flared fenders, short rear bumper, turbo front air dam).

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love that look on 2002s. There's so much you can do with these cars. From purist simple to all out 11,000 rpm hill climber and gruppe racer. They even look good as a rat car..... well maybe.
You tube - Самый необычный тюнинг Bmw 2002 Rat Rod.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Full payment made and receipted by the seller. Now I just have to get the car to its new home. The transport costs range from $500 using a sole operator who travels interstate with his wife, ( hmm, let's not go there ), to the full house glamour fully enclosed trailer prestige operators for $1500. Some are door to door and some are depot to depot. There are a lot of cowboys out there with some scary reviews so they are easily avoided. That kind of leaves the big middle range.
So, if any of the Aussie forum members know of someone they trust please let me know.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Full payment made and receipted by the seller. Now I just have to get the car to its new home. The transport costs range from $500 using a sole operator who travels interstate with his wife, ( hmm, let's not go there ), to the full house glamour fully enclosed trailer prestige operators for $1500. Some are door to door and some are depot to depot. There are a lot of cowboys out there with some scary reviews so they are easily avoided. That kind of leaves the big middle range.
So, if any of the Aussie forum members know of someone they trust please let me know.
Road trip?

TodB

Reaction score
Another coupe and 2002 owner though mines not a Tii.

I’ve had my coupe for 20 years and got my 02 three years ago. I now walk by my coupe, literally every day, to drive the 02. I probably drive my coupe every two weeks or so. Two different cars. You will love the 02.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Road trip?
State borders are closed, though I can go South to NSW but when I reenter QLD I have to go into a 14 day isolation because they are so virulent in NSW. Then again they always were. It's a football thing, I'm sure you get it.
Another coupe and 2002 owner though mines not a Tii.

I’ve had my coupe for 20 years and got my 02 three years ago. I now walk by my coupe, literally every day, to drive the 02. I probably drive my coupe every two weeks or so. Two different cars. You will love the 02.
Yes my coupe may become the special occasion car. Dang has already intimated as much. Well there goes 6 years of anticipation.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score

You probably know this Gazz, but there's Ceva. Always very helpful and great to deal with from my experience. They can give you a quick quote via their online message function on their website.

Just a couple of weeks ago I got quoted $785 door to door from a property in southern NSW to Sydney about 8 hours drive. Wasn't buying a BMW but basically similar weight and sized car. (But wasn't via an enclosed transporter, just an open transporter).

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Mal. I got onto a local operator - Reardon Towing - $550 door to door. Can't comment on their performance yet as they are still scheduling a truck and the car is coming from Forster which is off most normal routes. Good price though. Hopefully it's not one of those you shouldn't choose the cheapest because you get what you pay for outcomes.
Another worry is too many transfers to depots which increases the risks of damage. Also theft because the owner is putting a fair few items in with the car.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's unavailable because I bought the car and the ad has been withdrawn by the seller. It would be beneficial for the site, not the seller, to leave the ad in place but state that it is sold to aid buyers of the same car. Agree re the paint but photos can sometimes give a false impression. It looks darker than Fjord, at least the Glasurit Fjord my E9 is.
Mmmmmm could always paint it Turkis :D (you hiding here now Gazz?)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gazz Hemingway here -

It's in its new home. This is the actual car though the background is fake news because that's a seller's picture.
I'll get some pics as real news, err, unfake news, umm, normal news. Oh, God, I don't know what's actual anymore.

First impressions - Man this is a tiny car. Sure I've seen plenty of 2002s before at cars and coffee and the like but when it's in your own driveway its a bit of a shock to see just how diminutive these cars are.
1973 - compare a BMW 2002 to say a 1973 Cadillac Eldorado - They seem like they are from different planets. David. E. Davis is waxing effusively about the 2002 as THE alternative for those who may notice it, and preaching, albeit it to the Car and Driver converted, in his veneration of the 2002. This is the thinking person's obvious choice.. It's one of the most famous automotive articles ever written.
Sorry, I digress.
It looks great in the shots and let's face it, pictures tend to flatter cars. Pictures of yours truly, well not so much. It has its flaws. No real surprises as the seller said as much prior to the sale. Nice guy,Tim. I've never met a bad Tim.
Sorry, another digression.
Non assisted steering is a throwback shock. Long travel clutch take up. Tardis like interior dimensions. An almost open air feeling of visibility. ( An E9 trait as well). Simple accessibility of controls, i.e. no 300 page manual required to understand what's going on as in my AMG 507. Acceleration from another era, an era, that through misty eyes, was almost courtly in its pace. A reintroduction to sensations - road noise, the engine noise , the smells - petrol. oil, rich exhaust, old leather and vinyl, DNA infused carpet. ( DNA infused carpet! Well think about your own car with its skin flakes and flicked nose pickings. There, I've said it. ).
Driving a 47 year old car commands an involvement and attention to the business of control that modern cars have striven to isolate the driver from. Analogue everything. Analogue wasn't even a word back then - things just were.
Speaking of DNA - this car wants to go, it has a playful energy to it that is such a part of the BMW genome.
It moves via sways, squats and pitches that is at first a little disconcerting, but once you are into it you feel the connection. So, a relearning experience from my young days.
Is this what it's about - coveting the past?

Attachments

• IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gazz... I wanted to quote you, but there are so many choice lines!!! I'm dying over here... "DNA infused carpet" :D

I read your comment on FAQ about the long clutch pedal engagement.... hmmmm. Most every 5 speed conversion I've ever driven the clutch engages very early (near the floor). Lemme dig around and see if I can help find what might cause that. It may just need the clutch slave bled; that is super easy. The slave is gravity fed (like the e9) simply open the bleed valve and let it flow, maybe pump the pedal once or twice. The clutch slave should have the the bleed valve on the bottom for this 5 speed... sounds counter-intuitive, but that's how it has to be. If you find the valve on the top, it will be damned near impossible to access it. Turning the slave cylinder over is a simple enough job, too.

I'm so happy you are out driving it! They are tiny, aren't they??? My suggestion? Go flog it. :) Keep a little foot in the gas in turns, it helps keep the rear end planted, like a Porsche 911...."don't lift!" Keep the revs up over 3500rpm... the power band starts there, so keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear for maximum enjoyment in the twisties. Redline is 6400... don't be timid about running it up to 6 grand. You'll discover where the powers starts to wane. Be mindful of hard shifting these little Getrags... the synchros can be somewhat fragile. Smooth upshifting and learn to heel-toe, double clutch the downshifts for maximum life expectancy.

No power assist steering... Here's a helpful tip. Proper tire inflation, especially up front. One of the gurus at our MidAmerica event always preaches to run at least 2psi more up front than in back, but you will learn what is best for your car. Mine likes 36psi in front, 34 in back. The 2002 naturally pushes/understeers; having a little more air pressure up front helps that. A loose (not too stiff) rear sway bar also helps. Unless you are Ken Block and Hooning is life... then go with more air pressure in rear and tight rear sway bar; that way you can point the car with the rear end with a little judicious use of the handbrake :)

Speaking of brakes, learn how to adjust the rear brakes... there are two adjusters on each backing plate. Sometimes they are frozen and the hex heads can be stripped; hopefully, yours are not. You will learn to love a 2002 with properly adjusted brakes... they stop on a dime. Scroll down to the brakes section here:

Remember I mentioned the throttle linkage might be sloppy if not newly replaced? Easy way to check. Engine off. Find the final throttle lever on the K-Fisch linkage, have someone mash the gas pedal to the floor. If you can continue to rotate that final K-Fisch lever much at all, you will be missing some topend power. Essentially the pedal is at WOT, but the pump lever is not. Hopefully, other Tii members can help with more information here... me, being a sidedraft person :)

It looks like a great car, I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Ed Z

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey sidedraft Ed,

Thanks for the advice regarding the clutch slave. I'll be at the workshop tomorrow where my E9 is so I'll get Martin from Manchester to have a look.

At the start of the travel is where I'd prefer it. Heel and toe - every manual car I've owned, all the way back to my Austin Healy Sprite, I have heel and toed. With a good rev matched down shift I shouldn't have to double clutch a synchro gear box. My previous car was a BMW 1M which I lived for to heel and toe in M mode. Now cars have a computer controlled rev matching which can't be turned off. There goes another skill.
I'll play around with the tyres. My feeling is the car is over tyred. There's a set of 13" Lemmer steelies for sale for $100 very close to where I live. I may buy these, restore them to the Turbo look and put a set of high end 175 skinny tyres on. I have to get the right ones yes? What should I look for?
I did notice that there is a taily-ness to the cornering. Almost like you can waggle it in to a corner rally style. It comes in early and settles with a bit of power. This a style I like as it suits my method. Brake early, get off the brakes after turn in and power down early through the corner. Not the best technique but it works for me and is suited to some cars more than others. Yes it's the classic 911 technique. And the bonus is that it is all at a discreet low speed.
I'll get Martin from Manchester to check the linkage.

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Uh oh, Dang has found this thread. Sorry mate, it's a lot of reading to do and I know that you have had a bit with a certain dog loving person. Blame it on the Jameson.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Uh oh, Dang has found this thread. Sorry mate, it's a lot of reading to do and I know that you have had a bit with a certain dog loving person. Blame it on the Jameson.
Not even close. Keep trying. What has "begun" is your love affair with 2002's.

zambo

Reaction score
Gazz - re the comment from zinz regarding adjusting the rears, check if you have the tool kit in the spare wheel well and it has the spanner (wrench) with the bent head on it. It’s specifically for doing that job and you can’t do it - well I couldn’t - without that or using another trick of the trade.

I can see from your comments you are starting to get the feel of the car.

As I suggested in an earlier post, it’s feels as much fun at 45-60 mph as most other cars are at 100! Especially on the twisty stuff.

[emoji106]

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not even close. Keep trying. What has "begun" is your love affair with 2002's.
Yes, well, love affairs! Let's see.
Gazz - re the comment from zinc regarding adjusting the rears, check if you have the tool kit in the spare wheel well and it has the spanner (wrench) with the bent head on it. It’s specifically for doing that job and you can’t do it - well I couldn’t - without that or using another trick of the trade.

I can see from your comments you are starting to get the feel of the car.

As I suggested in an earlier post, it’s feels as much fun at 45-60 mph as most other cars are at 100! Especially on the twisty stuff.

[emoji106]
I'll have a look for that tool. The car had all new brakes, lines, etc, so I presume the adjustments were done as well.

I have ordered an Alpina 38cm wheel via Keshav, the guru of steering wheels. The one on the car now is a 35 cm and needs too much muscle vs finesse. I like as light a touch on the wheel as possible.

TodB

Reaction score
And the long slumber for your coupe begins...

It sounds like you are having 02 discovery fun. The good news is that feeling does not go away.

“Acceleration from another era, an era, that through misty eyes, was almost courtly in its pace. A reintroduction to sensations - road noise, the engine noise , the smells - petrol. oil, rich exhaust, old leather and vinyl, DNA infused carpet”

Yea, that!