'73 Chamonix Bavaria

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice stance. I have a Facet electric fuel pump that I just put in but don't like. I'll probably go with the E28 like you did (and Mike) but I'm curious about which fuel tank you have. Does yours have the extra space on the right side of the tank? I can't remember when they changed the style.

My later tank conversion:

Attachments

• IMG_20200506_170310306.jpg
    IMG_20200506_170310306.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 190

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice stance. I have a Facet electric fuel pump that I just put in but don't like. I'll probably go with the E28 like you did (and Mike) but I'm curious about which fuel tank you have. Does yours have the extra space on the right side of the tank? I can't remember when they changed the style.

My later tank conversion:
1974, same as e9

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's my current set up followed by a picture of from left, E30 pump, stock E3 pickup, and e28 pump. That e28 pump frame is the bolt on type, not twist on like the one I'm using.
Mine being a '73 has the earlier tank, I didn't know that was a thing.

2whR2k4.jpg

lvRh9EY.jpg

xPkqLH8.jpg

r9av8di.jpg

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I replaced the dash while the windshield was out. I figured it was now or never with how difficult it is to find the seal, the windshield and someone to install it. I really had to harass that guy.

qDXXHTf.jpg

d2qtTTZ.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ted,
I notice your dash does not have the little dividers in the right hand well. Did your dash come that way originally?

My badly cracked dash had the dividers...

50334050153_9c6561820a_c.jpg

...but the guy that recovered it, eliminated them. I think because it added a layer of complexity....

50334890392_68f2be2fb2_c.jpg

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Coupe King, right? That’s where I got it. Yours was my inspiration. My original dash had the dividers.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I found out why my exhaust was so quiet. Turns out it's all been redone from the front resonator back. The shop said it looks like that muffler is from a Ford Falcon.

Installed from the down pipes: 2 into 1 (2.5"), 17" resonator, 2.5" pipe, 18" oval muffler, can't remember if the outlet is 2.25" or 2.5".
Much better sound now and not too loud.

jNf7dnV.jpg

S7aMOGn.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I give the nod to any BMW period valour, even over leather if it is charcoal or black. Great looking, original! And my upholsterer also takes forever. What is it about that species?

I can't get used to the dash without the dividers. Too many years, decades actually, looking at them. Looks too contemporary to me. But that's just me.

I am getting Bavaria fever again. This will be the fifth go around. Dare I ask if any knows of one that needs little or no work, has AC, and gasp, an automatic transmission.

When I was looking for a 2002 with AC and automatic I lucked out in spades. JMinNJ, a mere 75 miles away in New Jersey, had a '76 2002 we named Lilli. An all original Chamonix, 78,000 delicate miles by a Sunday driving couple. A tight, barely broken in automatic that R&T said was only a half second slower than a 2002 4sp(not sure what the testers were smoking that day, but Lilli can move right along, even with the AC blowing ice cold, and it does).

So who knows, I may luck out again. Then the real business begins. Karen.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
While the seats were out I finished the front suspension: new LCA's, center link, tie rods, idle arm bushing, and the other bushings I can't remember the names of. The ball joints were toast causing some wandering on the freeway.
I also found a stock rear sway bar so installed that with new front and rear end link hardware with poly bushings ($18/pair @ rock auto!)
I think I'll stick with the stock sized sway bars, it's tight enough with the springs and shocks I have on there.
I have to say, after figuring out the carb linkage issue (power on/off only) this thing drives like a dream. It's quiet, fast, smooth and comfortable.

Next up is the exterior. The paint is wearing through in some areas and there's surface rust next to trim and near seams. Nothing too bad but I'd like to start sanding it down and applying primer followed by some single stage rattle can Chamonix that I bought. Then when funds allow maybe invest in a whole car spray. The main thing is the trim piece I caught on my shirt and yanked off.

XM2d4GA.jpg

ie9fAjm.jpg

eNTch5q.jpg

DG2VpmK.jpg