CSL Bumpers

aguirola

Reaction score
Will do...
And should be listed for sale in another forum?
I mean, we are ready for orders.
Regards, Alberto

JamesE30

Reaction score
For the record, that part looks far better than the crappy rear bumper I got from zaprace last year.

If I had a straight chrome bumper, it would be less work to make a complete new mould and splash a new bumper from that than try to straighten the wavy, rough cut piece from zaprace.

aguirola

Reaction score
Well Markos,
no competition, and as you mention, Zaprace (shipping from UK, ouch)
and the 'Coupeguy', no mounts? Really? Good luck with that.

After all is said and done, Mine are 'perfect' as perfect copies of a 'perfect' rear bumper,
with mounts. Just do the math. Or don't. This is all about me wanting a 1st class product for my car.

If you are interested, the only catch is that mine would have to shipped in halves, you join, paint, perfect installation
as pre-tried on a straight, never crashed car.
Still not an easy undertaking.

We made the moulds, and that, takes huge time, they need reinforcing as per photos, need waxing,
maintenance, etc.

If you have ever worked 'glass properly, you know. As in everything, you pays for what you gets.
Will post the finished, painted product once finished and installed. I think there may be a demand total of 5 or 6.

I am not trying to retire to the tropics on the manufacture of a few bumpers, hardly. We just enjoy what we do, passionate about great work,
and deliver a top product.

I once bought some 'glass parts' from a 'top supplier for these cars, and built
a 'semi batmobile', still have it by the way. ALL were 3rd rate.... ( I would use french, but probably would be censored) :),
and all needed to be repaired in order to fit. TRASH!
Of course, the seller, chickened out of any responsibility. Really...

Regards, Alberto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sense a defensive response which isn’t warranted. Your two piece design is correct IMO. I wouldn’t want a one piece and I’m glad that you kept separate.

I mentioned the competition so that you may price accordingly. They are your competitors a whether you agree with that statement or not. A mount less rear bumper doesn’t sound like
a great start however.

I’ve only worked with fiberglass a few times, and nothing about my technique was proper. I mainly use it to strengthen stuff I make out of concrete. :)

Well Markos,
no competition, and as you mention, Zaprace (shipping from UK, ouch)
and the 'Coupeguy', no mounts? Really? Good luck with that.

After all is said and done, Mine are 'perfect' as perfect copies of a 'perfect' rear bumper,
with mounts. Just do the math. Or don't. This is all about me wanting a 1st class product for my car.

If you are interested, the only catch is that mine would have to shipped in halves, you join, paint, perfect installation
as pre-tried on a straight, never crashed car.
Still not an easy undertaking.

We made the moulds, and that, takes huge time, they need reinforcing as per photos, need waxing,
maintenance, etc.

If you have ever worked 'glass properly, you know. As in everything, you pays for what you gets.
Will post the finished, painted product once finished and installed. I think there may be a demand total of 5 or 6.

I am not trying to retire to the tropics on the manufacture of a few bumpers, hardly. We just enjoy what we do, passionate about great work,
and deliver a top product.

I once bought some 'glass parts' from a 'top supplier for these cars, and built
a 'semi batmobile', still have it by the way. ALL were 3rd rate.... ( I would use french, but probably would be censored) :),
and all needed to be repaired in order to fit. TRASH!
Of course, the seller, chickened out of any responsibility. Really...

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Markos,

Thank you for the approval of the 2 part bumpers, definitely the way to go,
we figured it out as this is the 1st bumper we make in fibreglass.
Front will be next.
Great references!
Love concrete! We make Fu-Tung Cheng work here, brilliant man.
By the way, pricing here is another world altogether :)

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Rear bumper ready for final refinishing, and paint. Glassed in two 1/4" rods (visible)
to maintain rigidity.
Front bumper, beginning of mould making.
By the way, the original bumpers will be available later. I will put them in the FS section.
Enjoy!

Regards, Alberto

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

aguirola

Reaction score
Started on the front bumper. I really like the front indentation, so followed it to a 't'
with the sides as stock, a very nice look.
we are making the front bumper bracket with ally, flat bar stock, super lite.
Anyhow, just for attaching, zero protection.
The airdam we made from a Hartge H5S, original E28 version , cut up some, and made to fit for the CS.

Regards, Alberto

IMG_2645-1.JPG

IMG_2646-1.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

aguirola

Reaction score
In case you have an eagle eye, and are wondering, the boxes on the floor behind the center section
are for 2002, in the full gamut of colors offered by the factory in the day.

aguirola

Reaction score
Today we weighed the bumpers, Euro version, 25 lbs front, 22 lbs rear.
Imagine how much rotational weight that translates to...

Regards, Alberto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today we weighed the bumpers, Euro version, 25 lbs front, 22 lbs rear.
Imagine how much rotational weight that translates to...

Regards, Alberto

Make sure you compare apples to apples. The rear bumper itself only weighs about 12lbs. I'm sure with rubber and underriders it's close to 22. Same goes for the front. The front bumper is about 12lb. The brackets weigh as much as the bumper.

Not sure what you mean by rotational weight however.

aguirola

Reaction score
I am not certain I understand your apples to apples analogy.

Full weight provided by weighing the complete bumper assemblies,
with rubber, all brackets, underriders et al... = 47 lbs.
How else would you calculate the total weight that is coming off the car?
When adding back the fiberglass bumpers, we will know the difference, X - Y = Z

Rotational weight, is for instance, 20 + lbs with your arms outstretched, or 20+ lbs close to your chest.

Which will affect you more, or make you tired? The less weight you have at the ends of any car, will affect rotation and center of gravity.
Where would you rather have the battery in a Coupe, up front or in the trunk between the shock towers?

Do you prefer negative camber and oversteer, or understeer as from the factory? It is all relative to driving preferences.

Regards, Alberto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing to consider. The factory rear bumper mounts are not for. They are concave to match the contour of the tail panel. Have you fitted your rear bumper?

A2459A98-916A-4EB8-B466-D16CAEB9393C.jpeg

aguirola

Reaction score
Yes, I have fitted the bumper, and will post photos of it on the car.

If you have photos of what you mean, I would love to see them.
Innocently, what is on mine, are an exact copy of the original ones from the original bumper.
Does the fibreglass bumper on the CSL fits in the same manner as on a regular CS?
If mine are wrong, we will take a mould of the tail panel, then fit them properly.

Regards, Alberto

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I have fitted the bumper, and will post photos of it on the car.

If you have photos of what you mean, I would love to see them.
Innocently, what is on mine, are an exact copy of the original ones from the original bumper.
Does the fibreglass bumper on the CSL fits in the same manner as on a regular CS?
If mine are wrong, we will take a mould of the tail panel, then fit them properly.

Regards, Alberto

I don’t have the original steel bumper anymore but I do recall the shape of the bracket. The tail panel is curved and it looks like you accommodated that fact with the angle of the brackets. I checked my fiberglass bumper, and the mounts looked curved but are indeed straight. I presume that the indentation is just to let water pass through.

False alarm!

D2B1A1A0-A71C-4CC7-9184-7CB95E91BD91.jpeg

aguirola

Reaction score
Thank you Markos!
Mine are an exact replica on the ones that were on the car, the only allowance being that
they are made out of ally, which I will revert to fibreglass as much easier to glue same materials.
I guess I am OK then.
Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
Dry fitting without paint.
Regards, Alberto

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 112