The Vintage Asheville/Hot Springs NC 2021 Who's going? May 20-22. Postponed to Sept 16-18

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great pics of the Coupes at the Vintage. Hope to meet most of you at O-Fest in November. Perhaps there will be a parking section for E9 and E3.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very busy today. I will get photos downloaded and post some later.
Great to have everyone.
I think the weather scared a few away.
Help with names will be apprectiated.
It was a little crazy there with all the people I know from my other car as well as the coupe.
I'm calling this area Coupe Deville.
Gary

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris--Do you know the names of the owners of the 12 Coupes accepted at LOTA-East? I know 3--Stan , Gary and myself..----Drew
Yes:

Armstrong, Ohmes, Dolan, Chamallas, Killen, Baruch, Beck, yourself, Glavin, Degraeve, Bower (bringing another car I think) so ten right now

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes:

Armstrong, Ohmes, Dolan, Chamallas, Killen, Baruch, Beck, yourself, Glavin, Degraeve, Bower (bringing another car I think) so ten right now
I think George Whiteley has a coupe in addition to his e31. He could be one of the twelve.

Andrew - are you bringing Athena?

And there is a rumor Chris Macha is going to surprise us and reveal his new paint job in November.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think George Whiteley has a coupe in addition to his e31. He could be one of the twelve.

And there is a rumor Chris Macha is going to surprise us and reveal his new paint job in November.

I am shipping Veronika & possibly driving Athena, Maine weather is iffy for the drive home though. Such is life in the Perpetual Wintelands.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great idea. Wish I would have thought of it. I would have taken notes and made it a point of getting all names.
I‘d be willing to do a write up.
@m5bb Gary was the driving force in getting this e9 gathering together. He may be able help with the list of names. Had COVID not scuttled the original May dates I believe we would have had an even greater showing. Still thirteen coupes is something to be proud of. A great bunch of coupes and even more impressive owners showed up. Big Thank You to Gary!

Now to blow my coupe’s horn. 1824 trouble free miles in five days. Averaged over 25 miles per gallon with L-Jet and 5 speed.
Doesn’t get any better…

View attachment 127004
Wow25mpg!!!!
Excellent!!!

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

George registered his 850 CSI 12cyl 6 sp. Red with black interior.
1-10= 9.8

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Its loud when the windows are up and another gear would be nice for interstate. Im sure I can learn to live with it though.
If you can hear the transmision, there is something wrong with it that should be address before it fails and leaves you stranded.

If, as is more likely, you are referring to the fact that the car is loud because it is running somewhat higher in the rev range on the interstate because of the gearing in the transmission, there are a lot of things you can and should do that having nothing to do with the transmission. I've added sound proofing to my doors, hood, firewall, floors, rear parcel shelf and the area behind the seats. Most of this was really easy to do and highly recommended.

Mpower5266

Reaction score
If you can hear the transmision, there is something wrong with it that should be address before it fails and leaves you stranded.

If, as is more likely, you are referring to the fact that the car is loud because it is running somewhat higher in the rev range on the interstate because of the gearing in the transmission, there are a lot of things you can and should do that having nothing to do with the transmission. I've added sound proofing to my doors, hood, firewall, floors, rear parcel shelf and the area behind the seats. Most of this was really easy to do and highly recommended.
I have heard conflicting things about the ZF being loud. Some have said that its normal and others have said its about to detonate. With the windows down its not bad at all, even stopped but it is something that will be addressed soon. We have Gary's show at the end of October and we will likely pull it after that.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ZF is not loud unless your bearings are failing. A friend has a 265/6 Getrag which sounds like nuts and bolts being rattled in a coffee can at idle which gets only marginally better with clutch depressed. Don says the lay shaft bearing is toast, when driving you can’t even tell however.

Mpower5266

Reaction score
The ZF is not loud unless your bearings are failing. A friend has a 265/6 Getrag which sounds like nuts and bolts being rattled in a coffee can at idle which gets only marginally better with clutch depressed. Don says the lay shaft bearing is toast, when driving you can’t even tell however.
That's my thinking, probably the input shaft bearing since the output has been done. Who knows, we need to pull it in a few weeks and look it over but I would like to make Gary's show with it. It didnt get any worse on the Vintage trip so we should have one more round trip to Atlanta left in it.