What did you do to your E3 today?

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there,

I see there's a 'What did you do to your E9 today?' thread and I couldn't find the same for the E3 owners. So I created one. If I am mistaken and there is one for E3 owners, please let me know and I remove it or get Admin to remove it.

To start this thread off, I improved the front ride height of my 'Heidi'. Please see https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/p...s-for-bumper-height-1973-e9.37413/post-337896

Regards,
Bill

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good idea, Bill! :cool:

I received my trunk carpet from World Friday and installed it today...

IMG_7009.jpeg

I also went over the throttle linkage to my Weber 38/38s and found I wasn't getting full throttle. Fixed now. Even more fun! :D

I'm running out of things to do to this car. I want to get the AC converted to a modern compressor this winter. Lots of info on this forum to do that.

I'm missing the cardboard panel that goes in back of the trunk between the tail lights. CS Werke reproduces them...

...but he doesn't want to ship to the US, and it may be too expensive to do so with an oversized, fragile part. I'm hoping @alprada70 reproduces them OR someone in the US has a useable/repairable one off a parts car.

I'm also missing the underhood insulation. All the normal sources show it, but no one seems to actually have it. Ideas?

Christoph

Reaction score
Nice idea, like it a lot.

Unfortunately, I only put some cleaned parts from a disassembled car on the shelf. Not overly spectacular.

I'm also missing the underhood insulation. All the normal sources show it, but no one seems to actually have it. Ideas?
Huge problem. You might ask Christoph of CS-Werk about it. Maybe he likes it. Most people take cardboard samples and cut the pieces themselves, these days.

During the next days I will probably put the E3 to sleep over the winter. No signs of frost yet but that does not keep the authorities from throwing salt.

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Working….

Attachments

• B9340344-5DEF-4C25-BCAB-4886AB1F307E.jpeg
    B9340344-5DEF-4C25-BCAB-4886AB1F307E.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 3DE4A186-D58A-4A15-9B02-CDFC93877193.jpeg
    3DE4A186-D58A-4A15-9B02-CDFC93877193.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 45E214A9-7FC2-46FA-915B-EB8BC147E3A4.jpeg
    45E214A9-7FC2-46FA-915B-EB8BC147E3A4.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 786C3ACB-31F7-4CAF-9D41-59B7B5E199E9.jpeg
    786C3ACB-31F7-4CAF-9D41-59B7B5E199E9.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 144

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, I made templates long ago and sent them to the classic9 leather which is now hofdesign. They cut the hood insulation for me. Reach out to them via Ebay.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Bob. (and thanks for making the templates!)

I'll email them. They are showing the E9 set for those that need that...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I emailed them through the eBay system. This was the reply...

Hello, and thank you for the interest in our liners. We do have a pattern for the E3 but it has been a while since we offered it, if you are interested just message me back. You can purchase it by buying the E9 Liner instead of me making a new listing but please remember to let me know that it is you buying it so i can ship you the right one. Please inspect and dry test the fit to see if it's the correct liner, if you are unsatisfied you can return it according to our return policy and ebay's.

Thank You
Classic 9 Leather Shop​

I've ordered a set using this method. I'll report back.

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
Announced yesterday, the 3.0 S is now stored, tank near full, battery disconnected, 3.3 bar (how much is that in psi?) on each tyre. Locking the car it struck me I forgot to pay the landlord for the parking space. Hopefully he is the nice guy he seems to be. Driving season was exceptionally short this year as we had no spring in Germany and it was still strangely cold in May. So it is starting to suffer from E3 deprivation and longing for an early spring next year.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did something similar to what Christoph did today.

I filled the fuel tanks of both my current collector cars (1972 Bavaria, and MGB with Rover 3.5 V8 and T5 5 speed) and put in the Stabil.

We have relatively mild winters here in the PNW, so I do drive these cars when we have a few days of sun. The E3 has a good cabin heater so no problem. I've repurposed the cowl vent heater inlet and the heater itself in the MGB to become a cold air inlet and plenum for the carb, so no heater in the B. I have to bundle up to exercise it in the winter.

I didn't disconnect the batteries. I will connect battery tenders it is looking like 3-4 weeks with no cruises.

No 3.3 bar (48 lbs/sq in) in the tires since I still drive them in the winter. A very good idea for those that sit until Spring. I would not have thought of that.

I have a good heater in my shop so I have no excuses for not posting further in this thread. :)

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok. Just returned from an evening drive. Low beams only. Quentin Tarantino style. I swear this car has zoomorphic traits. It hates when I put it back in the barn. Unlike my Sensi and purist Steinkamp, the music rolls with me. I am neither an engineer nor astrophysicist, but this car is the Apollo 11 of automotive engineering. For those of you who drive only in the sun...as my grand mother said... you cannot take it with you.

Last edited:

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don’t miss understand me. I prefer low beams, Quentin Tarantino style. High beams work. Soon even better thanks to Mobryte.

chope97

Reaction score
I took my car to Sigy's in Rockville Md.to see about getting my front windshield gasket replaced. I supplied the gasket. This is a BMW repair shop. They know a guy who can do old windshields. Mine not only leaked but you can hear wind noise around certain areas.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought and installed a set of the chrome thresholds. I just had the grey plastic. Very nice touch.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RE: the hood liner, I found this guy and he has some great parts.

Kapteijn Classic BMW Parts​

@classicbmwparts · Motor vehicle company

On my project, disassembly continues.... all interior carpet and doors stripped.(how do interior door parts get so mucked?) Moving to the dash and AC. Collecting parts. Considering what engine I should go with.

shanon

Reaction score
Woke the E3 from a month long slumber. It fired right up and took for short canyon stroll. Fun car. Then remembered I have to fix/find the light/wiper stalk......ugh