1977 BMW 3.0 CSL Alpina Gosser Beer tribute car

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
We ran a dyno test with the LIFE Racing computer system and recorded a rear wheel HP of about 290 and torque about 250.
The video is on UTUBE under Gosser Beer BM

IMG_1237.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter A.

Reaction score
Sandy,
I enjoy reading about your Alpina Gosser project.
While going through some parts boxes, I remembered
this poster – thought you might enjoy seeing it.
All the best,
Peter

Attachments

• DSCF3552.jpg
    DSCF3552.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 174

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen this car at multiple tracks. It is a real beauty. Actually, I would call it absolutely stunning. Looking forward to seeing it on track again this year.

However, at the risk of unintentionally offending, the statement,

“This is one of very few period correct racing CSL Batmobile replicas in this country,”

seems just a little out of sync with,

“modern Life Racing engine computer, wasted spark ignition, modern Siemens Deka fuel injectors …The car is set up to allow tuning from a remote location … modern Wilwood disc brakes”

I would be significantly faster with modern race disc brakes, EFI, and ignition on my 1956 vintage race car, but I don’t because it doesn’t match my personal/individual perspective on what vintage racing is about

John

Last edited:

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
I’ve seen this car at multiple tracks. It is a real beauty. Actually, I would call it absolutely stunning. Looking forward to seeing it on track again this year.

However, at the risk of unintentionally offending, the statement,

“This is one of very few period correct racing CSL Batmobile replicas in this country,”

seems just a little out of sync with,

“modern Life Racing engine computer, wasted spark ignition, modern Siemens Deka fuel injectors …The car is set up to allow tuning from a remote location … modern Wilwood disc brakes”

I would be significantly faster with modern race disc brakes, EFI, and ignition on my 1956 vintage race car, but I don’t because it doesn’t match my personal/individual perspective on what vintage racing is about

John
John - I should have said tribute car rather than replica. I use this car strictly in HPDE track days with SCDA, NASA, and the BMW CCA local clubs
which is a lot safer at my advanced age than true vintage racing. The original owner who was a German mechanic built the car 15 years ago as a
replica of the 1970s Group 2 CSLs that raced in Europe. I have added some modern enhancements for safety and improved engine management.
The car is being repaired from a minor accident at Watkins Glen last year (wet track) and I will be driving the car at Lime Rock in early June, Watkins Glen
several times in the summer and doing a road trip with my son to Road America in Wisconsin in October.

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Sandy,
I enjoy reading about your Alpina Gosser project.
While going through some parts boxes, I remembered
this poster – thought you might enjoy seeing it.
All the best,
Peter
Peter

Is there any way that you would consider parting with this poster? I would gladly compensate you for the poster and shipping. Other wise could
you take an Iphone picture and send it to me?

Sandy

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
tribute car rather than replica
Sandy, I’m glad you took my comments in a positive way. Sorry to hear about your WG wet mishap. I too had an in-the-wet mishap at WG 5 years ago when I first started racing. It sucks, but anything can be repaired…

Peter A.

Reaction score
Peter

Is there any way that you would consider parting with this poster? I would gladly compensate you for the poster and shipping. Other wise could
you take an Iphone picture and send it to me?

Sandy
Hi Sandy,
I couldn’t part with the poster – it was a gift.
I first saw the unframed poster taped to a wall in the
parts department of a now-closed BMW dealership.
The parts manager had it framed and gifted it to me
in the mid eighties.
I believe it was an item BMW sent to its dealers.

Let me see what I can do regarding a picture.
It’s an old poster that is mounted in a frame
with gloss/reflective plexiglass.
To provide you with a picture worth having would
entail removing a 35-40 year old poster from its
frame.
Give me some time, Sandy, and I will try to get
something done for you.

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Hi Sandy,
I couldn’t part with the poster – it was a gift.
I first saw the unframed poster taped to a wall in the
parts department of a now-closed BMW dealership.
The parts manager had it framed and gifted it to me
in the mid eighties.
I believe it was an item BMW sent to its dealers.

Let me see what I can do regarding a picture.
It’s an old poster that is mounted in a frame
with gloss/reflective plexiglass.
To provide you with a picture worth having would
entail removing a 35-40 year old poster from its
frame.
Give me some time, Sandy, and I will try to get
something done for you.
Peter

I have had great success having posters copied full size at Staples for a very reasonable price. They should be able to
copy the framed poster with plexiglass installed without any glare. I am pleased to pay for the copy on heavy photo
paper and shipping in a tube. This is the only official BMW poster I have seen of the Gosser Beer CSL.

Sandy

Peter A.

Reaction score
Peter

I have had great success having posters copied full size at Staples for a very reasonable price. They should be able to
copy the framed poster with plexiglass installed without any glare. I am pleased to pay for the copy on heavy photo
paper and shipping in a tube. This is the only official BMW poster I have seen of the Gosser Beer CSL.

Sandy
Sandy,
I spoke with people from three Staples locations. Each had the same reply – the poster can’t be
duplicated unless I remove it from the frame. The frame is metal, held together by multiple screws.
Due to the possibility of damaging the poster, disassembly is not an option.
Although I am probably one of six people on the planet who does not have an Iphone-quality phone,
I do have friends that own them. I will keep you apprised regarding their ability to capture a quality picture.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
John - I should have said tribute car rather than replica. I use this car strictly in HPDE track days with SCDA, NASA, and the BMW CCA local clubs
which is a lot safer at my advanced age than true vintage racing. The original owner who was a German mechanic built the car 15 years ago as a
replica of the 1970s Group 2 CSLs that raced in Europe. I have added some modern enhancements for safety and improved engine management.
The car is being repaired from a minor accident at Watkins Glen last year (wet track) and I will be driving the car at Lime Rock in early June, Watkins Glen
several times in the summer and doing a road trip with my son to Road America in Wisconsin in October.
Sandy - what is the Road America event in October?

dbower

Reaction score
Sandy: I have the Gosser poster in a cheap frame that comes apart easily. Happy to get a copy for you at the local Staples, if you'd like.

Don

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Sandy: I have the Gosser poster in a cheap frame that comes apart easily. Happy to get a copy for you at the local Staples, if you'd like.

Don
Don

That would be awesome! I will be pleased to pay for the copy on heavy photo paper and mailing in a tube.
Address is 9 Elm Street, Wellesley Hills, Mass 02481
what a nice engine what is the Horsepower of this engine
We dynoed the car last year and the rear wheel horsepower was 290 at 7000 rpm with about 240 torque at 5500.
This engine is similar to a 1988 M5 with much better engine management system and full flow exhaust which makes an
incredible sound at 7500 rpm. Look at the dyno run on Utube under BMW Gosser Beer CSL.

Sandy

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Sandy - what is the Road America event in October?
The Road America event is run by the BMW CCA club in Wisconsin in early October each year. It is an HPDE event with two full days of track time.
You need to be a BMW club member to enter but any safety teched car is eligible.

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Sandy,
I spoke with people from three Staples locations. Each had the same reply – the poster can’t be
duplicated unless I remove it from the frame. The frame is metal, held together by multiple screws.
Although I am probably one of six people on the planet who does not have an Iphone-quality phone,
I do have friends that own them. I will keep you apprised regarding their ability to capture a quality picture.
Sandy,
Another forum member has the same poster which he can easily copy . Thank you for letting me know that the poster exists.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW there is a smartphone app called PhotoScan which enables you to take pictures of posters and photos that have glare problems from glossy surfaces and frame glass. It requires that you take 4 separate photos from multiple positions and then combines them to remove reflections/glare and other artifacts.

With a high resolution smartphone camera you should be able to get a photo ok for moderate size poster printing. In my experience this works as well for duplicating an 8x10 glossy photos than my home scanner.

I’ll sure someone makes a similar app for use with DSLR’s.

John

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is another Gosser Beer clone.
Right here in Atlanta GA.
Built about 5 years ago by Brenden Digel.
I had a few photos but knew there were more and asked.
Here's link to professional photos by Pat Hart.
It has an S38 B36 motor and drive train.
Not sure of current status.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don

That would be awesome! I will be pleased to pay for the copy on heavy photo paper and mailing in a tube.
Address is 9 Elm Street, Wellesley Hills, Mass 02481

We dynoed the car last year and the rear wheel horsepower was 290 at 7000 rpm with about 240 torque at 5500.
This engine is similar to a 1988 M5 with much better engine management system and full flow exhaust which makes an
incredible sound at 7500 rpm. Look at the dyno run on Utube under BMW Gosser Beer CSL.

Sandy
Hello, and thank you for answering to my question there is another question I have did you upgrade the frame or suspension I am asking this question since I want to upgrade my E9 engine to have more horsepower I am wondering, do I have to upgrade the suspension I spend over 1500 and buy the coil over but when I fined out the way of installation that I have to cut the shock tower to do it and the car suspension getting stiffed I change my mined but I want to know do I have to upgrade the shocks, I read a comment that they said E9 is not maid to carry a 300 HP engine I don't know how much of that is right but I think if we don't abuse the car it should be fine since I restore the car and there is no rust or ripped and everything is right where need to be it should be fine. don't you think so?

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
Hello, and thank you for answering to my question there is another question I have did you upgrade the frame or suspension I am asking this question since I want to upgrade my E9 engine to have more horsepower I am wondering, do I have to upgrade the suspension I spend over 1500 and buy the coil over but when I fined out the way of installation that I have to cut the shock tower to do it and the car suspension getting stiffed I change my mined but I want to know do I have to upgrade the shocks, I read a comment that they said E9 is not maid to carry a 300 HP engine I don't know how much of that is right but I think if we don't abuse the car it should be fine since I restore the car and there is no rust or ripped and everything is right where need to be it should be fine. don't you think so?
The car had a coil over front suspension when I purchased it. The shocks are Bilstein but am not sure about the springs. The front shock tower construction
of the stock E9 is quite strong but you need to install a strut tower cross brace if adding power. It does not look like the original strut tower was altered to install the coil over system. I also have a camber adjustment in the coil over system. My race car has a full SCCA approved roll cage which significantly improves the notoriously flexible chassis of the original E9. This would be necessary in my opinion if you add a 300HP engine. The M88 M5 engine fits the E9 without any frame alterations and is a fabulous engine with high RPM and good torque. I also suggest a Getrag 265 BMW five speed transmission and triple plate clutch.

Sandy Washburn

Reaction score
The car had a coil over front suspension when I purchased it. The shocks are Bilstein but am not sure about the springs. The front shock tower construction
of the stock E9 is quite strong but you need to install a strut tower cross brace if adding power. It does not look like the original strut tower was altered to install the coil over system. I also have a camber adjustment in the coil over system. My race car has a full SCCA approved roll cage which significantly improves the notoriously flexible chassis of the original E9. This would be necessary in my opinion if you add a 300HP engine. The M88 M5 engine fits the E9 without any frame alterations and is a fabulous engine with high RPM and good torque. I also suggest a Getrag 265 BMW five speed transmission and triple plate clutch.
Another engine option would be to Turbo your M30 engine which would be easier to maintain than the M88 engine. My son did this with my 1987 535is and the result is an engine that outperforms the M5 and is similar to a 1985 BMW Alpina B7S. This installation is described on the MyE28 forum in the forced induction section.