FOR SALE STAGGERED ORIGINAL ALPINAS 16 x7 and 16 x 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I guess I offended a few of you guys... I like Original and will pay for Original....

I guess that I offended a few of you guys... Sorry about that.:confused:

I happen to like Original Cars, Parts, Art, Watches and will pay as much as I can afford to get the Original and/or Real Thing...

There are a lot of people that do not care about Original or having the Real Deal and will drive a Kit Car Cobra or Speedster and I understand and appreciate that...

That being said having reproduction wheels is great for most people because they look almost exactly like the Original ALPINAS and the car still drives great and no one will know the difference... Except you.

I come from over 38 years of extensive involvement with vintage Porsche and Ferrari guys... With these cars Originality is absolutely Paramount down to the most minute details. Imagine discussing in detail about the exact color of the undercoating and where exactly on the bottom of the car the undercoating stops within 1/4 of an inch! Or how about spending $180 on (4) 8mm Phillips Head screws? Because the screws are special and correct for Recaro Sport seats? 20 different type of 8mm screws will work perfectly but if you demand Originality only the Chromed, Domed Philips Head Screws are correct. They break and are impossible to find and you will pay insane money to get a set!

With the BMW group Originality for most is way down on the list compared to performance then appearance... Thats why the GREAT PUMPKIN is such a hit with most people.

If me saying that I almost always want and will buy Original Parts or rare stuff offends some of you I am sorry?

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess part of the originality piece is what was originally available for the car. Want to talk about 14" Alpina's and date stamped wheels. Got it. But if it is a newer wheel and really not period correct for the car not sure I care so much. Gonna have the original wheels in a box for the person that is the true fanatic.

All a matter of taste.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
let it be as it is

we are different, as "elmo" once said: "we are all special " ;-)

you sell original, pristine alpinas, you place a price, all is good

you dont need to explain yourself, you put the price, and if someone wants to buy, that is the deal !

cheers !

execmalibu

Reaction score
Lotuss7, You are correct...

Lotuss7,

I guess you are absolutely correct that the 16s are not Original on an E9...

But the 16 inch Alpinas were first available in the mid to late 1970s and they were the "HOT TICKET" BMW "Factory" upgrade. They probably were used along with the first low profile tire the Pirelli P7...

Because they were a "Factory" ALPINA Wheel(as opposed to BBS,H&B etc) and because ALPINA was the factory race dept (prior to M) most Original Alpina stuff were when new and still are very desirable. Even the 14x7 inch Alpinas from the CSL and CSi are desirable to a few guys to upgrade their 2800CS...

I know lots of the Porsche Guys upgraded their wheels to 7 inch Fuchs once they became available as the 911R wheels then the later and different 7 inch ST Fuchs. Even though the 7s were not technically Original most 911 guys accept them as a period "Factory" upgrade. A nice set of 911R Fuchs are worth $5,000-$7,000...

There are also a few other non Original AFTERMARKET period items from the 1960s early 1970s that are very collectible and are expensive like the thin 16" Nardi Steering wheels for Porsches and Mercedes or an Abarth exhaust for a 356 or a Lietz luggage rack....

OK... "BRAKE" got me on that one...

Last edited:

Simufly

Reaction score
16 Alpinas.

Genuine refurbished balck centre staggered 16 Alpinas reach about £800.00 here in the UK
FWIW.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't believe 16" Alpina wheels were ever offered as a "Factory" upgrade. The 14" "CSL" wheels was offered as an upgrade for Euro CSi models. Those orginal CSL wheels have no "cut-outs" adjacent to the lug holes and are extremely rare.

I think the 16" staggered wheels were first used on the e12 series of Alpina cars.

TodB

Reaction score
stirring the pot

Frankly, I think the BBS RS' look a ton better then the Alpinas - this coming from a guy who sold his BBS' and "had to have" Alpinas a few years ago.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Jeff-It may just be a function of time...things here move very slowly compared to Pelican or E911S for sale forums. Over there, if I don't sell something in 48 hours I've priced it wrong.

Here' I've had stuff go past 30 days and then I'll get a PM at full price.

BTW I'm pursuing another set of Weds...16" staggered 2 piece...can't beat that H&B style look, IMO.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
As stated earlier, pristine refurbished Alpinas go for $2500+ all day long, this is the established value for quite a while now. Alpinas that need some work (curb rash, paint), but still a good condition are going for about $1600-$1800.

The set of five Alpinas that was put up for sale about a month or 2 ago was offered @ $1800, to restore the curb rashes and paint, one is looking at spending a total of $2500+.

BTW, I had offered to buy one of the extra 16x7" front rims from him, but he never got back to me. Don't know if he has sold the set.

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lotuss7,

I guess you are absolutely correct that the 16s are not Original on an E9...

But the 16 inch Alpinas were first available in the mid to late 1970s and they were the "HOT TICKET" BMW "Factory" upgrade. They probably were used along with the first low profile tire the Pirelli P7...

Because they were a "Factory" ALPINA Wheel(as opposed to BBS,H&B etc) and because ALPINA was the factory race dept (prior to M) most Original Alpina stuff were when new and still are very desirable. Even the 14x7 inch Alpinas from the CSL and CSi are desirable to a few guys to upgrade their 2800CS...

I know lots of the Porsche Guys upgraded their wheels to 7 inch Fuchs once they became available as the 911R wheels then the later and different 7 inch ST Fuchs. Even though the 7s were not technically Original most 911 guys accept them as a period "Factory" upgrade. A nice set of 911R Fuchs are worth $5,000-$7,000...

There are also a few other non Original AFTERMARKET period items from the 1960s early 1970s that are very collectible and are expensive like the thin 16" Nardi Steering wheels for Porsches and Mercedes or an Abarth exhaust for a 356 or a Lietz luggage rack....

OK... "BRAKE" got me on that one...

I used to live about 2 miles from H&Bs shop and they supplied the modified suspension bits for my 2002 in the late 70's. I remember when they started selling the 16s in about 1977?. Georgeous.

I get your point but im just sayin' if i have the correct parts in storage for the person who wants it "original" I'm personally less concerned about originality of the stuff i'm currently running on the car. Sway bars, springs, strut braces, SST brake lines, etc., etc That doesn't mean I don't dig the Alpinas. They are cool and probably worth every penny. If I could prove they were manufactured in 70s / 80s they'd be even cooler (those Porsche guys would want it that way...)

You made the right choice to keep the H&B wheels, however!

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alpina is a manufacturer

If you check the history of Alpina you find that it is currently considered a manufacturer by TUV. I'm not sure when they achieved that status but it might have occured during the E9 period. As such, their cars had an Alpina VIN and have always demanded higher prices among BMW fans. Their relationship with BMW today is closer, I believe, than it was in the seventies.

The 16 inch Alpina wheels discussed here would have been part of a package from Alpina. In the day, I believe you could buy 16" Alpina wheels from various sources and install them on your coupe and the big advantage was that all details (offset, bore center, bolt hole spacing) were correct for a direct bolt on.

I think what Jeff is selling are a set of those wheels, period correct and highly desirable but never a factory option. Dealer option maybe. By the way, my two cents, I think used tires mounted are probably worth less than the added cost of shipping.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
A set of wheels with used rubber weighing 105 lbs is costing me $300 From Rome, GA USA to Canmore, AB Canada via UPS. If the rubber is 1/3 the weight and the volume is the same (cost to ship is calculated on weight, dimension and volume) then you've got $100 to buy 4 tires if you are just getting the rims. Can't buy much for $25 per corner.

Good tires with even half the tread life left does add value assuming you like the make, model and size. Most people would probably want new tires anyway so maybe the economics are irrelevant or just something to bargain/argue over.

My '02 cents worth.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The tires are like NEW!!! They have 95% tread left...

Bill,

It would be foolish to trash these tires... They are basically Brand New Bridgestone/Firestones...

To replace these (4) tires your are looking at around $500-$600...

BTW

Fedex Ground is much cheaper then UPS! I shipped (4) 19 inch Mercedes wheels/tires to the East Coast for $180..

I also thought these Alpina Wheels would sell very quickly... If they don't sell in a day or two then I will be forced to roll them back to the tire storage area (remember the ending scene in Raiders of the Lost Arc?)and they will be lost forever...

Last edited:

execmalibu

Reaction score
JDJ... Make sure that you read the entire post...

JDJ,

Please make sure that you read the entire post... Not every deal goes smoothly... I do not think anyone on this site has had a bad experience with me and I have done a lot of deals... My ebay feedback is 663 Positive I have done over 1,200 deals but not everyone leaves feedback...

That guy was a hustler! After having the unmounted wheels for two weeks he then said the wheels were damaged... Then he refused to return the damaged wheel or send it out for repair on my dime... Why?

I offered several remedies (replace wheel, pay for repairs) but he refused... He insisted I return all of his money first then he would send the wheels back... Yeah right!

Who do you know that refunds the full purchase money before having the supposedly damaged items returned first?

The best part was after he claimed that the wheels that he "RECEIVED" and signed for were damaged he later filed a "NON RECEIPT of ITEM" claim with Paypal...

That did not fly with Paypal...

The Alpinas are used and they are 35 year old road wheels and I disclosed they have minor blemishes. They are here and I invite anyone and everyone to fully inspect them before purchase...

Last edited:

JDJ

Reaction score
I clearly have no idea what happened and I said as much. It just looked like a bad experience for everyone- perhaps you included. However, it is always better to be holding the money in a dispute like this one, so I would imagine it turned out okay for you.

I like to have as much information as possible before I buy anything and that's what these boards are all about. No harm, no foul, just a re-post of publicly available information. No aspersions cast.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Suggestion

Can everyone just butt out of this guy's advert and let him sell his wheels? If you don't want to buy them then go elsewhere!!

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can everyone just butt out of this guy's advert and let him sell his wheels? If you don't want to buy them then go elsewhere!!

This is a "FORUM" which means people of different opinions feel free to express their thoughts. You need to calm down.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I guess that no one wants ORIGINAL STAGGERED ALPINAS so off they go to my Storage ...

I guess no one has money right now with the Holidays so....

The STAGGERED ALPINAS will be taken OFF the market and put into the cave:(...

They are certainly not something I mind getting stuck with because they are apparently RARE as Hell and like most rare and very desirable parts they will probably go up in value with time...

pamp

Reaction score
At the end of the day, whatever flips the cookies. Your car, your style. We try to keep period correct. A couple of shots.... and this a 1974 car from Evan bought in 05' in case you wonder....the wheel show was entirely my own. As well as paint and rust abatement. Mechanicals.... the hobby is fun. This was not the best car but certainly not the worst.

Attachments

• 100_1416.jpg
    100_1416.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_1413.jpg
    100_1413.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.