Lan-Trim front grilles, lights, indicators

Stefan

Reaction score
deQuincey

Great job and well performed as usual with your E9.
But I would like to see more of your garage. Like a lot of us, we have other old beauties to work with.
Kind of E9s are simple but expensive cars to renovate.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can I leave the special powders inside so the headlights keep getting clean as I drive?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
deQuincey

Great job and well performed as usual with your E9.
But I would like to see more of your garage. Like a lot of us, we have other old beauties to work with.
Kind of E9s are simple but expensive cars to renovate.

thank you,

no more old cars in my garage, only bikes, ....yeah ...and this too:

051220073973.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score

I am always SO JEALOUS of folks that are outside the U.S. that can go down to the local hardware store and get METRIC sheet metal screws. Sigh.... Maybe we'll join the rest of the world some day....

deQuincey, brilliant work as usual. I find that I bookmark most of you threads. I find the pictures extremely helpfull. I do much the same over on the FJR forum where I've done a lot of work. And yes, I agree with Stefan, we need to see more of your work shop! I like the bike, I have an older Ducati and Guzzi.

Funny, I was just looking at my headlights today. I've got some time off for Christmas so I may do your clean/upgrade.

I've got an Italian import so it has H1's, not H4's and seems to have the European running lights. What do I buy for replacement bulbs?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am always SO JEALOUS of folks that are outside the U.S. that can go down to the local

I've got an Italian import so it has H1's, not H4's and seems to have the European running lights. What do I buy for replacement bulbs?

thanks

as to the H1 lights, i use PHILLIPS 100%more birgthness, they are a little blueish colour
i find them very suitable for the car

P9305710.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Superb Write up and documentation. I have 1 new headlight and three slightly yellowed ones. Will try your tip. Is this just Glass bead you used? I suppose blowing it out with air followed by a dose of Steve's magic Alchohol would do the job. I'll also look for some of those bulbs. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Superb Write up and documentation. I have 1 new headlight and three slightly yellowed ones. Will try your tip. Is this just Glass bead you used? I suppose blowing it out with air after followed by a dose of Steve's magic Alchohol would do the job. I'll also look for some of those bulbs. Thanks for posting.

just glass bead

IMHO do not mix treatments, glass bead is a dry method, pour the powder, shake it up, and throw it back to the bag, then yes, you can blow it out with air

if you use this method there is no need of alcohol, again it is only my opinion

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll try it on the headlight I replaced due to internal rusting and see how it looks.

rligon

Reaction score
Hi Dequincey. Thank you for all your post and the pictures are very helpful when your doing the same projects. I just have one question. Is there a easy way to dismantle the two knobs from the headlamp support frame? So i can start sand blasting and painting. It sims like the screws are not made to unscrew. Any tips will be helpful. Thank you again.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Dequincey. Thank you for all your post and the pictures are very helpful when your doing the same projects. I just have one question. Is there a easy way to dismantle the two knobs from the headlamp support frame? So i can start sand blasting and painting. It sims like the screws are not made to unscrew. Any tips will be helpful. Thank you again.

well, it is not simple but doable
you need to press it inwards while compressing the two lateral tabs
remove the screws first, but you can not unscrew them all the way, you must take them out from their holder
when the pressure done by the screw is not too much you can pop it out from its holder, then you can unscrew it completely, and the you will be able to dismantle the knobs
regards

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
I have recently acquired H1 bulbs with city lights, and am curious as to how most are wiring the city light operation. My initial inclination was to use the city light similar to a daytime running light, but I am curious about how others have wired theirs, and thought this thread appropriate for the discussion; replies appreciated!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted a thread on how to modify the hi/lo switch to use H1 lo beams. If you don't modify it the lo beam goes out when hi is switched on. Tap the city light into the parking/side marker light.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
well, it is not simple but doable
you need to press it inwards while compressing the two lateral tabs
remove the screws first, but you can not unscrew them all the way, you must take them out from their holder
when the pressure done by the screw is not too much you can pop it out from its holder, then you can unscrew it completely, and the you will be able to dismantle the knobs
regards

I'm afraid I am going to break these. Tell me again how to remove these screws without damaging anything ?

IMG_2626.jpg

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm afraid I am going to break these. Tell me again how to remove these screws without damaging anything ?

i would do the following
use a bit of oil, grease or penetrant oil in spray
then just use your two fingers to pop it out from the support
the only risk is to bend the support from its base, so do not grab it from the circular light frame, but grab it from the support alone
i do not know if this was correctly expressed, whta i mean is that if you take each "L" shaped support individually to remove each bolt, you will not damage the fixing of the support at its base

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Awesome write up as always, Jesus. Thank you so much.

Looking at this photo, it is clear that the width of the threaded bolt is wider than the opening in the L tab that holds it hostage. So It will require serious force for such a small part...

IMG_2626.jpg

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just redid mine

Mine broke
so,i just drilled and revited them back super tight
works perfect
also i used small vice grips to open the prongs
then just bend em back the steel is super strong