195/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

oo i think they are big. have a look on here.

i think OE was 185/70R14 which had a 614mm diameter. And i think 175/70R15 CN36 will be a nice alternative. If you look at the bottom of the linked page you will see a table of dimensions for the 15" CN36

Dougal - I think the more interesting comparison is to compare the 195/70-14s to the 215/60-15s. Scott and I are both looking at this. I would be installing the 215/60-15s on a set of Weds Bavaria wheels with a 15mm offset. Compared to the 195/70-14s, if i have this right, I would need an additional 15mm of inward clearance, 5mm of outward clearance, and tire height would change by 10.4mm total (5.2mm on the top and 5.2mm on the bottom).

i think the 215/60R15 CN36 is 639mm diameter and the 185/70R14 CN36 is 614mm so 25mm difference in diameter so 12mm radius.

you guys will know better than me if that will fit or not.

My coupe has 225/60/14 and that might be a bit too much unsprung weight but I like the traction.
IMG_0077.jpeg

i think the 215/60R15 CN36 is 639mm diameter and the 185/70R14 CN36 is 614mm so 25mm difference in diameter so 12mm radius.

Right, but again I think the comparison to the 195/70-14, which was the stock tire size on our cars, is the proper comparison - 639 v. 629 or 10mm difference in diameter.

My coupe has 225/60/14 and that might be a bit too much unsprung weight but I like the traction.
And they look great!

PS: I may have too much unsprung weight on my person...

My coupe has 225/60/14 and that might be a bit too much unsprung weight but I like the traction.View attachment 186472

I under stand some people liking the look of the wider tyre. That is a personal fashion thing. Some people wear flares. It won't be as nice to drive, but for the flare wearer they are prepared to put fashion over function.

I cannot think of another car from your period that fitted a 225 section tyre on the front, untill the V8 version of the Aston Martin DBS fitted a 225/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN12. I can't think of another car from that period that fitted 60% profile tyres. Although of course if it was better they would have done it.

However i don't understand this fascination with extra traction. where do you think you need it. Why do you think it will give you extra traction in a balanced manner. If BMW were able to keep that foot print on the floor in the corners to give it more traction, BMW would have done it.

Before fitting these tyres did you find yourself locking up the wheel in a straight line under braking?

Did you get too much wheel spin?

Do you think fatter tyres are an advantage in a fast corner?

where do you think you are benefitting from this "extra traction"

Is it a track day car or a road car?

I would have to admit that I put fashion over function.
If some is good more is better.
As you can see, the ire fills the wheel well nicely.
But I do intend to downsize when these tire wear out or age out.
1721903048757.jpeg

I would have to admit that I put fashion over function.
Me too and I have to keep myself from going too far over the top. I like the beefier look of 205/70 over the 195/70 because to me with lowering springs it transforms the car from stock touring to subtle, more aggressive sport to homage its racing heritage and compliment my louder than stock muffler and Weber trumpets LOL. 205’s have been substituted for 195’s for a long time - I had them on my first coupe in 1984 on stock rims, not the 7” Alpinas now (which handle the extra width nicely). If I were concerned about pushing the adhesion limits then maybe I would care about finding the most efficient tire size be it 195 or other. My non-data opinion is that with Bilsteins, the XWX has a better ride over bumps than the CN36 but you can’t go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

while true, the coupe doesn't use 185/70-14 ... so its a comparison to 195/70-14. the 215/60-15 is a little bigger, but it works good on the coupe as long as you have 'rolled' fender lips.
215/60-15: dia 25.2" / width 8.5" / rev per mile 827
205/70-14: dia 25.4" / width 8.2" / rev per mile 817
195/70-14: dia 24.8" / width 7.9" / rev per mile 841

In what way does it work well? its too fat. why do you want too fat tyres. If they were better BMW would have fitted them

those poor BMW engineers did all that maths, physics and testing that cost fortunes and then someone in a pub decides he needs "extra traction" so it stops a little quicker in a straight line, wheel spins less but doesnt go round corners as well.

heres a good one. this line has had me banned off a few forums:-

"Fat tyres on rear wheel drive classic cars is a missguided mistake made by cowards"

sorry that is a bit mean. i didnt mean it.

sometimes its the wheel that you have and finding a decent tire for it. with a 15" wheel on a coupe (a good blend between 14 and 16") ... its all about finding the best tire that will fit on the car. in the CN36 range, there is only 1 size tire ... none in the XWX.

but to your point, i guess there is a reason that Porsche used a 295/30-19 rear on a 997s or a 305/30-21 on the current 911s. it is true, current suspension designs are much more advanced than the cars of the 70's. on the other hand, if the suspension on the e9 coupe has been changed to a more modern coilover suspension (RAAB classic / KW) ... then a different wheel / tire perhaps makes more sense.

the more interesting comparison to me is when a person has a midlife crisis and buys a 70's 911 ... and severely crashes it because the vintage suspension / narrow tires doesn't compare to a current Golf GTI that the person is used to driving ... you might get my point.

In what way does it work well? its too fat. why do you want too fat tyres. If they were better BMW would have fitted them

those poor BMW engineers did all that maths, physics and testing that cost fortunes and then someone in a pub decides he needs "extra traction" so it stops a little quicker in a straight line, wheel spins less but doesnt go round corners as well.

heres a good one. this line has had me banned off a few forums:-

"Fat tyres on rear wheel drive classic cars is a missguided mistake made by cowards"

sorry that is a bit mean. i didnt mean it.

You should realize that low profile tires were years off when the E3/E9 were in production. The first major OE fitment was the Porsche 930 turbo in its 2nd year of production (1977 models here in the US) when 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 tire sizes were used marking the first major OE 16" wheel fitment. The E3/E9 were nearly 10 years past their design phase by 1977.

Having been through the life of my Bavaria from its start in 1972, I can say without any doubt that the single biggest upgrade I ever did was 8x16 wheels with 225/50-16 all around. I was driving daily and also tracking it heavily (much modified suspension). When I switched to these large 16" wheels/tires, everything about aggressively driving the car was substantially improved. With Goodyear Gatorback S tires (one of the first R comp tires produced in 1985), shaved to 5/32, it was a fantastic experience on my first outing. The Bav was turning 1:34 lap times at Summit Point (right at the lap times of the E30 M3 Firehawk race car).

Anyway, it was a dramatic and easily measured improvement over the former 7x14 205/70 setup. Here's an at speed pic in turn 3 at Summit Point circa 1985.

Bavaria Summit Point-3.jpg

Dougal - I appreciate your input here. My situation is similar to Scott's. With 15" wheels, we are extremely limited on the choice of tires. A 185/70-15 is skinnier than the stock tire, which I don't want. If you eliminate modern all season tires, there is almost nothing to choose from in either the 195/60-15 or the 205/60-15. Your 215/60-15 gets me the tire construction and the look I want.

So, I'm stuck with the question, how much performance am I giving up going to a fatter tire to get the tire construction and look that I am seeking?

Last edited:
Back