195/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

sometimes its the wheel that you have and finding a decent tire for it. with a 15" wheel on a coupe (a good blend between 14 and 16") ... its all about finding the best tire that will fit on the car. in the CN36 range, there is only 1 size tire ... none in the XWX.

but to your point, i guess there is a reason that Porsche used a 295/30-19 rear on a 997s or a 305/30-21 on the current 911s. it is true, current suspension designs are much more advanced than the cars of the 70's. on the other hand, if the suspension on the e9 coupe has been changed to a more modern coilover suspension (RAAB classic / KW) ... then a different wheel / tire perhaps makes more sense.

the more interesting comparison to me is when a person has a midlife crisis and buys a 70's 911 ... and severely crashes it because the vintage suspension / narrow tires doesn't compare to a current Golf GTI that the person is used to driving ... you might get my point.

The early porsche that gets crashed by a (potentially hung over) middle aged, midlife crisiss, chap would not have crashed if they hadn't changed the wheels and tyres for wider modern low profile tyres with the wrong kind of carcass structure. It probably wouldn't happen if they had stuck to the original CN36 or XWX. That certainly was the case with my mate anyway.

I used to pop to the pub with a mate of mine who lived on the same street as me, also a petrol head, into his aircooled. Normally we would just have a couple of light ales on the way home from work., then go home for us teas etc. However this particular evening, he had another freind with him and a bottle of over proof rum, so I parked my car up and popped into his house on the way home. What could possibly go wrong. I didn't quite make it home until i was late for my tea. In fact i didn't get home untill the only way up the stairs was on my hands and knees. That was the end of it as far as i was aware.

the next night i popped into the pub for a couple of light ales on the way home from work. my mate was in there, but not in his 911. he had given it a bit of throttle on a corner, the back end had suddenly let go completely; and he rattled it through a garden wall knocking off 3 out of the 4 corners of the car making it a bit messy. When he got back to his yard he found his front number plate was also missing. so he very wisely gave it a few hours before returning to the scene.

Now there is no doubt that the car let go so suddenly because it had silly modern tyres on it. If you go back to the early 911 that ran on 165VR15 Cinturato or XAS it didn't have the reputation of letting go all of a sudden, in fact it didn't have that reputation in 1968 when they fitted 185/70VR15 Cinturato CN36. When it started to earn that reputation was when more modern lower profile tyres were inventesd and people started fitting out rageous wide tyres that was where the trouble started.

Is it fair to completely blame the tyres? maybe.

Could the fact, my old punk rocker mate was still in a bit of a tangle from the night before, have contributed to him not catching it before it went throught the wall? well that dynamite 90 proof rum leaves your body very quickly, specially when you drink it as fast as we did, and it was so strong i was crawling and rolling around on my stairs at about 10 pm, so it wasn't a late nighter; All this considered, it would be unreasonable to completely absolve the rum of all blame.

However, there is no doubt, he would have stood a much better chance of catching it, before it went through the wall, regardless of how arseholed he was, if it had had 185/70VR15 CN36 on it instead of 225/50R16 modern tyres on the back. thinner tyre break away more gentley and predictably, you can catch it, and when you do catch it it doesn't rip the steering wheel out of your hands and throw you in a ditch (wall/ hedge/etc) like modern wide tyres do.

Todays cars are built to never even nearly loose traction at all, because their suspension is so clever in can keep all of a wide tyres foot print in contact with the road under very extreme cornering forces. Your car doesn't do that. (nor did my mates 911.) You can turn your car into a racing car. You can add a load on adverse camber so as the car leans your tyre stays flat. To make it into a racing car you can do loads of other mods aimed at:
a/ making it keep all that foot print on the road when cornering.
b/ making the car an all round less pleasant road car.

Modern road cars fitting massive tall and wide wheels with wide low profile is silly it is only fashion. no road car benefits from having a wheel bigger than 16" it is purely fashion. road cars having a tyre wider than a 225 section is unnesesary un beneficial and only there for fashion reasons. modern road cars would be nicer to drive on thinner tyres with taller side walls. Car manufacturers sacrefice ride and handling because taller wheels with wide tyres sell cars because they look cool. not because they are nice to drive on.

my 1976 Silver shadow has a nicer ride than a modern Rolls Royce with its silly low profile tyres.

here is a progressive car. Thats me in the silver one, up the inside 45 seconds in. Have it!

however i'm not suggesting you drive your car like that. what you want is more subtle.

On 15" wheel i would fit the 185/70VR15 CN36 or XWX. probably CN36 unless you are in a really hot climate where the XWX might just get the edge. I think as standard these cars fitted 175R14 or 195/70R14. you dont have to go bigger all the time.

Anyone going to Oulton Park this weekend?

Hi Dougal, there’s some discussion on a BaT Ferrari Dino auction about the modern Serbian-made XWX 205/70-14 tires being “squishy” and unsatisfactory compared to the old ones. I have these modern Michelins on my 300 SEL 6.3 and I wonder if you have any comments about this? They seem fine to me and they look just right.

Hi Dougal, there’s some discussion on a BaT Ferrari Dino auction about the modern Serbian-made XWX 205/70-14 tires being “squishy” and unsatisfactory compared to the old ones. I have these modern Michelins on my 300 SEL 6.3 and I wonder if you have any comments about this? They seem fine to me and they look just right.
Hi

Yes they are made in Serbia now. But it is in a Michelin factory, using their quality control systems and the best quality raw materials built to the top end of the tollerances rather than the bottom.

Yes if you feel an un inflated tyre carcass and compare it to an old carcass they do feel different, but the old one is old and the new one is fresh. but they are different. and throughout the production of tyres they will have changed repeatedly as the materials allowed to be used in production have changed. And these materials react differently to pressure. so although an uninflated tyre may feel different to an inflated tyre, that doesnt mean that when it is inflated it wont return the same characterestics.

I must admit when we got these new productions some time ago, we were concerned about the same thing, but i dont beleive it. the people we know who use these tyres hard are happy with them. there is always some bar expert keen to cast aspertions about things like this, but i think people still find the XWX excellent. The Michelin doesnt seem to come out very well in the tyre tests, but Michelin never do. However when it boils down to it and what they dont test in these tests, is the durability. im not talking about how many miles uyou can do before they are bald. I mean how good are they when they are opart worn, are the olis going to leave the tyre 5,000 miles down the road diminishing the grip. are they goping to be a good tyre throughout thier usage. and when you do occasionally see those blown out tyre carcasses in the middle of the motorway - they arent Michelin.

Back