1969 2800 E3 - Bringing "The White Car" back to life!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t think it does much either but I like the look of the BMW grey foam. For noise do you have a hood seal, drain snorkels? The e3 trunk seal can be used for the hood seal around the fresh air plenum, just trim to length.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think it does much either but I like the look of the BMW grey foam. For noise do you have a hood seal, drain snorkels? The e3 trunk seal can be used for the hood seal around the fresh air plenum, just trim to length.

I don't have anything on the car right now. I'm hoping between sealing it up and checking the valve clearance again it may get better.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the factory wheels and hub caps on tonight. Wheels painted with Dull Aluminum. I'll get some better photos during the day..

IMG_20210326_182608731.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
which wheels? Cannot wait till tomorrow.

I'm putting the stock 14" steel wheels with hubcaps on for now while I finish up the style 5's, but I'll probably wait until I have the air ride suspension before putting them on.

kkro

Reaction score
I love the classic look of the steel wheels. I guess the car will look stunning also with the style 5 wheels, but for me the steel wheels with rings and caps is the favourite. Great car!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the classic look of the steel wheels. I guess the car will look stunning also with the style 5 wheels, but for me the steel wheels with rings and caps is the favourite. Great car!

Yeah, I had my stock coupe wheels with tires sitting in the shed and needed something that held air. I got the car driving and didn't like the look of the coupe wheels but didn't want to put the Style 5's on without the suspension, so that motivated me to clean up the steel E3 wheels. I really like the look with those wheels and will always be able to change back and forth if I want.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I chickened out on the Dull Aluminum and clear coat. It took HOURS to clean and prep the wheel centers for the Style 5's and when it got around to painting I didn't want to risk a bad reaction to the Krylon rattle can paint and the two-part clear coat over it. As luck would have it, I had a metallic silver paint on the shelf that I used on a Volvo a little while ago and it's very close to the Dull Aluminum. Close enough to put on the wheels and have the grilles look similar. Here's a few photos of the paint..

Grille with Dull Aluminum and wheel center with Volvo metallic silver.

IMG_20210404_134221610.jpg

IMG_20210404_135816737.jpg

IMG_20210404_135837135~2.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
While waiting for paint to dry.... I decided to see if I could clean up the grille trim before finishing up the paint. It's aluminum (anodized?) and very hard, but I dry sanded starting with 240g up to 1000g, then power buffed with metal polish. Did I mention that it's really hard? My fingers are sore from the sanding but I'm happy with the way it's turning out.

Original pitted trim on the left. Sanded and polished on the right.

IMG_20210405_192325432.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's aluminum (anodized?) and very hard. Did I mention that it's really hard? My fingers are sore.

I tried to do the same to my grilles a couple of years ago, it's really hard indeed. I think I managed a small corner as in your picture before giving up and went shopping for better ones :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried to do the same to my grilles a couple of years ago, it's really hard indeed. I think I managed a small corner as in your picture before giving up and went shopping for better ones :D

Yeah, I'm not known to be very smart. :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
While I had the front grilles off to repaint with clear I decided the kidney grille didn't look good enough anymore, so I took it off and cleaned it up and polished it better with my buffing wheel. Can you see a difference...

Before
kidney orig.jpg

After
kidney2.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the way the paint came out so I couldn't wait and laid all the parts together to see what it looks like. No bolts and the roundel is just sitting there but you get the idea...

dammmm.... I need some of these for my e28 !

Beautiful job.

Ed Z

(seriously... if you know of a straight set shoot me a PM :D )